Fired Because You Are Too Good Looking?

Geico266

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Geico
Iowa never ceases to amaze me. How stupid can you be? It is illegal to discriminate on the big 5 ( sex ( gender, not lack of ;)) family status, race, religion, national origin) period. Yet, the Iowa Supreme court says it is okay for a man to fire a woman because she looks too good? :mad2:

http://rt.com/usa/news/dentist-fired-nelson-iowa-760/

Clearly, this is discrimination against women! You fire a women because you are attracted to her and you might be tempted to ..... what? :dunno: Nice to know your dentist has no self control. :dunno:

If the assistant was a man he would not have been fired. If the assistant was ugly she would still be working there. The only reason she was fired according to the ISC is because she was good looking and a threat to the DR. marriage. She was fired because she is a woman and that is illegal!

Seriously! Iowa, you have lost it!

Last edited:
It took him ten years before he found her "irresistible?"

-Rich

First Larry consider the source. Its from a Russian media outlet that has in my opinion frequently posted mmmm how shall I say published non complementary stories about the US and our society.

It seems the guy fired the woman because of in appropriate dress and flirtatious behavior not really because she was pretty.

From what what I see on the Internet, that dentist needs to see an eye doctor.

Last edited:
:needpics:

(did it really take this long for someone to use that smiley?)

First Larry consider the source. Its from a Russian media outlet that has in my opinion frequently posted mmmm how shall I say published non complementary stories about the US and our society.

It seems the guy fired the woman because of in appropriate dress and flirtatious behavior not really because she was pretty.

Adam, if you google Melissa Nelson then you'll find that all the news outlets are playing this the same way. They're all reporting that she was fired for being "irresistible" and a threat to his marriage.

He needs glasses!

What what I see on the Internet, that dentist needs to see an eye doctor.

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Seriously! Irresistible? :rofl:

She is easy on the eyes compared to guys on POA, but irresistible? :no:

And again, the only reason she was fired is she is a woman! :mad2:

My wife said he was in his rights to fire her because marriage is a stronger contract than the employee / employer relationship and the real possibility existed that the marriage was threatened by "alienation of affection".

This dentist is so weak after 10 years with her as her assistant that he could not control himself? :dunno:

Confession time. :redface:

Several years ago I bought my wife a new perfume. The young lady :)goofy:) at the counter was hot. Very hot. :yes: Get the picture?

Every time I smelled the perfume on my wife I thought about the hot chick that sold it to me. :eek: This was not good. I told my wife about it and she just shook her head and laughed.

Over time ( ;) ) the image in my head went away and I love the perfume..... on my wife. :rolleyes:

The point is people do have fantasies from time to time, and they pass if you use your head and think about the consequences.

This dentist is so weak after 10 years with her as her assistant that he could not control himself? :dunno:
Well...he did tell her
that if she saw his pants bulging, she would know her clothing was too revealing

:goofy:

The point is people do have fantasies from time to time, and they pass if you use your head and think about the consequences.
Yeah, but you didn't see that hot chick behind the counter every day at work. That's a pretty big difference. He still needs glasses though.

Last edited:
well one story I heard somewhere, was the wife found some text msgs between the Doc & the girl. Wife says she has to go....

From what what I see on the Internet, that dentist needs to see an eye doctor.

+1

Melissa-Nelson_1356367364111_344782_ver1.0_320_240.jpg

well one story I heard somewhere, was the wife found some text msgs between the Doc & the girl. Wife says she has to go....

Wife driven. Doesn't matter how good or bad looking she is. If the wife ain't happy then nobody is happy.

I know a guy that quit flying for 17 years because of the wife.:mad2:

I know him well.

Whether fortunate or unfortunate, I have never had to worry about being terminated for my pulchritude.

I agree that she was fired because she was a woman. But she really needs a better lawyer. Filed in State Supreme court? Should have been filed under federal discrimination laws. Gender and age bias. Sexual harassment.
Besides, if the doc had a problem controlling himself, there was something else going on.... in his marriage! The wife needs only look at herself for the real answers.

Those who report the most satisfaction from their sexual fantasies say that it's because they meet such a nicer class of people.

Sexual attraction is more about dress, makeup, flirting, and body language, than about actual 'beauty'.
Case in point is many/some of the so called celebrities - sometimes the paparazzi catch them in sweats and without the required 4 pounds of bondo and paint on the face, and their skin tight clothes on - or lack thereof - and guess what?
You would barely glance at them in the line at Costco.

I suspect the reason the court allowed the termination is that she had exceeded the bounds of behavior for an employee, not because she was irresistible.
My wife fired one that was drop dead gorgeous a couple of weeks after she hired her - because she was dumber than a box of rocks (err, the new employee that is - just to be clear here)
The other employees were threatening a mutiny if she did not go, because they were having to do her work too.
She filed for benefits and termination without cause. When her lawyer came storming into the office the wife simply told the girls to take the lawyer into the break room and have a 'chat' with him.
In minutes he came meekly out, said thank you to my wife, and that was the end of it. No way he was going in front of a jury with those four girls taking the stand.

Geez, folks - get real here.

She was not discriminated against because she is a woman; she was discharged because her presence was a distraction, and her continued employment was a threat to the employer's marriage.

If this were a large employer, with ample opportunities for otherwise-qualified personnel to move to similar positions elsewhere in the company, there might be grounds for complaint. As it is, we're talking about a professional service business, with the conflict arising with the professional.

It's a sad deal that it did not work out, but it simply did not work out. Would you suggest that he be compelled to continue to employ her, even if he did not want her there?

What if his wife said, "Hey, Bub, it's her or me?" Nothing going on, no attraction, no hanky-panky, just the man's wife threatened by the assistant's presence. Is it suggested that he still has to keep the assistant on then?

Maybe we should just fix it where, if you want to hire someone, you call the government's Bureau Of People Wanting a Job, and say, "send me the next unemployed person who wants a job," and you're assigned a warm body with whom you'd be obliged to work until - what - they get tired of it?

If the Dentist had ditched her and given foul and false references, that might be a different kettle of fish. Did not happen that way.

Absent a contract, someone employed to provide services should be - is - terminable at will, for any reason or no reason, so long as it is not an unlawful reason. Change that, and you'll find a lot fewer jobs available in the first place. That what you're after?

Sure, the typical reaction one would expect from the super-cool good-looking dude who has faced this kind of discrimination throughout his career.

Geez, folks - get real here.

She was not discriminated against because she is a woman; she was discharged because her presence was a distraction, and her continued employment was a threat to the employer's marriage.

If this were a large employer, with ample opportunities for otherwise-qualified personnel to move to similar positions elsewhere in the company, there might be grounds for complaint. As it is, we're talking about a professional service business, with the conflict arising with the professional.

It's a sad deal that it did not work out, but it simply did not work out. Would you suggest that he be compelled to continue to employ her, even if he did not want her there?

What if his wife said, "Hey, Bub, it's her or me?" Nothing going on, no attraction, no hanky-panky, just the man's wife threatened by the assistant's presence. Is it suggested that he still has to keep the assistant on then?

Maybe we should just fix it where, if you want to hire someone, you call the government's Bureau Of People Wanting a Job, and say, "send me the next unemployed person who wants a job," and you're assigned a warm body with whom you'd be obliged to work until - what - they get tired of it?

If the Dentist had ditched her and given foul and false references, that might be a different kettle of fish. Did not happen that way.

Absent a contract, someone employed to provide services should be - is - terminable at will, for any reason or no reason, so long as it is not an unlawful reason. Change that, and you'll find a lot fewer jobs available in the first place. That what you're after?

Sure, the typical reaction one would expect from the super-cool good-looking dude who has faced this kind of discrimination throughout his career.

Yes, Wayne. It is my cross to bear. :goofy:

Nope, just took ten years for his wife to realize what was going on.

That was my thought too. I felt sorry for that poor dentist. He resisted firing for quite a while, but the wife was the instigator. She is the one that should be condemned instead of the dentist. Any married man should know what I mean. But I can't say that I know any of the extenuating circumstances though, so I may be out of line here.

:yes:The wife fired her.

Many years ago I listed my home phone number as after hour contact in a help wanted ad. My reasoning was, that it would give an easy way for someone who was employed to contact me.

The phone rang, and when my ex wife answered, it a seductive voice inquired about the job. As my spouse handed me the phone she mouthed. "Don't you dare hire her !":mad2:

Paul
N1431A
N2426E
2AZ1

:yes:The wife fired her.

Many years ago I listed my home phone number as after hour contact in a help wanted ad. My reasoning was, that it would give an easy way for someone who was employed to contact me.

The phone rang, and when my ex wife answered, it a seductive voice inquired about the job. As my spouse handed me the phone she mouthed. "Don't you dare hire her !":mad2:

Paul
N1431A
N2426E
2AZ1

Sounds to me like you made a good decision!

He should have made her wear scrubs...

My wife said he was in his rights to fire her because marriage is a stronger contract than the employee / employer relationship and the real possibility existed that the marriage was threatened by "alienation of affection".

yeah I was wondering why it took 10 years but it looks like Moose has the answer below LOL

Nope, just took ten years for his wife to realize what was going on.

She did wear scrubs. The dentist is a pathetic shrub and his old shrew wife is worried as she aged out faster then him. The woman worked there from age 22 he had a chubby for her for ten years and didnt do anything. Loser, make a move or move on.

The more I think about it the more I am ok with this ruling. You never see attractive people complain when they are hired before an ugly person. Just like taxing the rich, this helps level the playing field.

The joys of 'at will' employment.

Looks like she got just a bit too cozy with the boss and the wife found out.

Think of her next job interview.

Why did you leave your last job?

I was fired because I'm just too damned good looking.

:D

In our never ending effort to achieve social utopia, I'm starting to wonder when we will say we have had enough?

Working with one other person eight hours a day is much like being married, it is even more intimate in many ways other than physical. Those two people interact mentally considerably more than most married couples, and usually know each other just as much, if not more, than their spouses.

Discrimination based on gender, race, sexual orientation, age, or religion, should have no part in the decision for a small shop owner to base his hiring practices on, any more than it should play a part of selecting a spouse should have.

It should not be something a committee of judges should be ruling on at all for a very small business like a two or three person dental office.

We should have the right to work or live with who we choose.

If we really want true social utopia, we should have government committees who assigns who we work with, who we live with, and who we marry.

A loyal citizen should contact the appropriate committee who will then assign a person to fill your employment needs, a roommate, or your new husband or wife.

The committee should not select who to send you based on gender, race, sexual orientation, age, or religion. If you order a new mate, and they send a person of your same sex, opposite sexual orientation, apposing religion, of a different race, you should by law, be required to let that person fill the available position.

How else can we have the perfect society? A persons weight should not play a part either.

-John

Last edited:
Confession time. :redface:

Several years ago I bought my wife a new perfume. The young lady :)goofy:) at the counter was hot. Very hot. :yes: Get the picture?

Every time I smelled the perfume on my wife I thought about the hot chick that sold it to me. :eek: This was not good. I told my wife about it and she just shook her head and laughed.

Over time ( ;) ) the image in my head went away and I love the perfume..... on my wife. :rolleyes:

Geico, are you really Clark Grizwold? :D

Back