Fireball as company cargo planes collide in Milwaukee

mikea

Touchdown! Greaser!
Gone West
Display Name

Display name:
iWin
MILWAUKEE — Two cargo planes collided and burned on a taxiway at Mitchell International Airport Wednesday night, but no serious injuries were reported.

Airport director Barry Bateman said both pilots got out after the accident, and one had a minor hand injury.

The accident happened about 8 p.m. and involved planes from the same company, Freight Runners Express Inc. of Milwaukee, he said.

http://www.startribune.com/484/story/958546.html

dumbass journalist said:
"I'm told that one (plane) had just landed and was taxiing into the cargo area," Bateman said.

How hard would it be to have told us where the other plane was coming from?

Sounds like the Beech 99 hit the 402. Copied from another source:

************************************************** ******************************
** Report created 1/25/2007 Record 4 **
************************************************** ******************************

IDENTIFICATION
Regis#: 699CZ Make/Model: BE99 Description: 99 Airliner
Date: 01/25/2007 Time: 0200

Event Type: Accident Highest Injury: Minor Mid Air: N Missing: N
Damage: Substantial

DESCRIPTION
N699CZ, A FREIGHT RUNNERS EXPRESS FRG1509 BEECH 99A ACFT, WHILE TAXIING TO CARGO RAMP, COLLIDED IN THE TAXIWAY INTERSECTION WITH ANOTHER ACFT, N7886Q, FREIGHT RUNNERS EXPRESS FRG1539, A CESSNA C402, THERE WAS ONE PERSON ON BOARD EACH ACFT, ONE MINOR INJURY REPORTED, DAMAGE TO THE BOTH ACFT REPORTED AS SUBSTANTIAL, MILWAUKEE, WI

INJURY DATA Total Fatal: 0
# Crew: 1 Fat: 0 Ser: 0 Min: 1 Unk:
# Pass: 0 Fat: 0 Ser: 0 Min: 0 Unk:
# Grnd: Fat: 0 Ser: 0 Min: 0 Unk:

WEATHER: MKE METAR 0152Z 290007KT 7SM -SN OVC 031 M04/M09 A3010

OTHER DATA
Activity: Business Phase: Taxi Operation: OTHER

Departed: Dep Date: Dep. Time:
Destination: MILWAUKEE, WI Flt Plan: IFR Wx Briefing:
Last Radio Cont:
Last Clearance:

FAA FSDO: MILWAUKEE, WI (GL13) Entry date: 01/25/2007

Me thinks there is a typo in the crew line

Why, do you think there was 2 crew onboard? IIRC the 99 can operate single pilot. Remember, the first number is how many onboard. The number for the fatality is after the word.

The way the chart reads:

is one crew on board and he received a minor injury

Last edited:
Well, I missed it too. I don't see what you are talking about.

Time to have your low-brow humor detector adjusted..... :D

-Skip

Time to have your low-brow humor detector adjusted..... :D

-Skip

Sorry, my brain didn't go there, maybe I need more coffee.

Uh. It should be
Crew: 2

1 for each plane.
"THERE WAS ONE PERSON ON BOARD EACH ACFT"

nah they mustve been freight dogs, probably hadnt eaten in a few days.

Uh. It should be
Crew: 2

1 for each plane.
"THERE WAS ONE PERSON ON BOARD EACH ACFT"

No, the chart is per tail number not per incident. Each aircraft will have it's own NTSB sheet. We were just looking at the one for the 99.

Yeah as far as I know those Freight Runners Beech 99s are single pilot, and they look like hell (they par outside our hangar in MSN). I remember talking to one of their pilots last year at a fly in. I don't know if he was BSing me, but he said they didn't have an AP in those things.

Pete

Yeah as far as I know those Freight Runners Beech 99s are single pilot, and they look like hell (they par outside our hangar in MSN). I remember talking to one of their pilots last year at a fly in. I don't know if he was BSing me, but he said they didn't have an AP in those things.

Pete

Hmmmm, I wonder how they work that? I'm pretty sure A/P is required for single pilot 135 ops.

only with passengers henning, i believe.

from what i hear, no autopilot or inop autopilot is about par for the course at most freight runners.

Yeah as far as I know those Freight Runners Beech 99s are single pilot, and they look like hell (they par outside our hangar in MSN).

Pete,

When I fly later at night, I usually see three guys sitting inside BS'ing, but there's a minivan outside the air-side door. You s'pose they have two pilots for the minivan and only one for the Beech? :rofl:

Back