Fire Extinguisher Mounting

AKBill

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
AKBill
Just picked up a new fire extinguisher
13-01993a.jpg

Wondering were to mount it. I was thinking under the pilots seat. My old extinguisher was very small and it was located in the pocket behind co-pilots seat.

Were is your extinguisher mounted.
Thanks Bill B

It would be nice to know the aircraft make and model

Within easy reach during a stressful moment. I have one mounted to an aluminum piece that spans the pilot seat pedestal. In the Cub I have a tube adjacent to the pilot seat. Both work well and can be easily reached from outside the plane as well as from in the seat.

Once you’ve mounted to make sure you can release and remove it from the seated position. Extinguisher mounts favor being hung vertically. It isn’r always easy to get them out when mounted horizontal. Simple fix and best done before you you need it.

Within easy reach during a stressful moment. Mine's mounted to an aluminum piece that spans the pilot seat pedestal.

Once you’ve mounted to make sure you can release and remove it from the seated position. Extinguisher mounts favor being hung vertically. It isn’r always easy to get them out when mounted horizontal. Simple fix and best done before you you need it.
I plan to try different locations to see how easy it is to remove from mounting bracket. Just not a lot of room to play with.

...In the Cub I have a tube adjacent to the pilot seat. Both work well and can be easily reached from outside the plane as well as from in the seat...

If you get the chance could you please post a pic or two of your Cub installation?

I am not happy with the set up in my Husky and looking to change it for the better.
Thanks in advance!

My Cub is exp and the tube is specific to Backcountry. It’s there to reinforce for Porter style gear. I used Supercub gear but left the tube in. My old Cub had the extinguiser centered on the floor tucked about half way under the pilot seat. That was the best option I had in that plane.

D4C9A915-FDB6-4DFA-A4C9-1CAFFD439F81.jpeg

In my 150 I have it between the two seats. It fits there without the bracket and is reachable by both people. It cannot come out straight up, but “easily” slides forward and out. Seems secure enough and saves any mounting issues. Plus it is easy to add to the passenger weight and balance calc as it is right about at the same CG.

Between the two seats in the PA-28 and 172s I fly. That way anyone can get to it.

Copilot seat bracket (skywagon)

I have it mounted to the floor between the passenger seats , in PA 28, within reach. I can also see the gauge right as I am putting the sit belt on.

My Cub is exp and the tube is specific to Backcountry. It’s there to reinforce for Porter style gear. I used Supercub gear but left the tube in. My old Cub had the extinguiser centered on the floor tucked about half way under the pilot seat. That was the best option I had in that plane.

View attachment 69989

Thank you.
You did a fine job building this one!

Pic #1- Skywagon. A piece of aluminum across the pilot seat pedestal and the extinguisher attached to that.

Pic -#2- My old Cub. On the floor and under the seat but the extinguisher's strap hook is still exposed.

359B003F-C3AB-493B-8E9A-35B748CC5157.jpeg 35166924-00BB-4DDA-92AE-53106FDCA65E.jpeg

Ours is the same as @Stewartb’s Skywagon, but in a Skylane. We even have the floor safety belt system like Stewart’s and it does not interfere.

One not so subtle difference though, I had bought the next size larger than the OP posted (2 buckles). Our AP did magic AP stuff and managed to get it to fit the same location, seat still moves full forward and neck doesn’t protrude into the empty space between the seats where we place our flight bag.

For some reason I think I can get to it more reliably if it’s under my seat (straight down, left hand, falls into hand) vs the copilots seat which would take an awkward reach with right hand, and then grab it again with right hand. Plus small preference for pilots side if having to jump out and grab it on the way out.

Any chance you have a pic of this? I need to mount mine too.

I’ll try to take someone tomorrow, but it’s mounted horizontal on the inside of the copilots outer seat bracket

Thanks for the ideas. Beech Aero Club has a few as well. Heater in hanger did not want to come on spent most of the afternoon fixing that...:(
I'll give it another shot next week and post what I come up with.

Can you reach that in a hurry from the pilot seat?

My rules. Must be able to reach and release it with one hand while flying. Must be able to reach and release it quickly from outside the plane on the pilot's side.

I used the bolt for the Cessna Secondary Seat Stop. The fire extinguisher mount fits there at an angle under the pilots seat. I have no problem reaching it but I do wonder if I have a fire, will I lean forward to get the extinguisher. I guess it is the same for any floor mounted extinguisher.

Can you reach that in a hurry from the pilot seat?

My rules. Must be able to reach and release it with one hand while flying. Must be able to reach and release it quickly from outside the plane on the pilot's side.

Yes, and without getting my face closer to the firewall, but I do have ape arms.

Maybe somebody the doesn't drive a Skywagon believes that. Not me. That extinguisher is nothing but ballast.

Maybe somebody the doesn't drive a Skywagon believes that. Not me. That extinguisher is nothing but ballast.

You got little t-Rex arms dontcha?

T-Rex+Cartoon.jpg

If it was a issue I’d remount it, frankly I’d rather lean over than bend down, but to each their own

Last edited:
I like the on the front edge of the pilot's seat. It is readily accessible and doesn't get in the way of my legs.

I agree with FlyingRon. I mounted my fire extinguisher's bracket to a piece of stout aluminum which I then mounted with Adel clamps to the support "legs" of the pilot seat. Accessible but not intrusive.

I agree with FlyingRon. I mounted my fire extinguisher's bracket to a piece of stout aluminum which I then mounted with Adel clamps to the support "legs" of the pilot seat. Accessible but not intrusive.
That's exactly what I did. I can unlatch it quickly with one hand.

Bracket%20and%20Seat%20Mounting%20LoRes_zpsuezgzzng.jpg

Just picked up a new fire extinguisher
13-01993a.jpg

Wondering were to mount it. I was thinking under the pilots seat. My old extinguisher was very small and it was located in the pocket behind co-pilots seat.

Were is your extinguisher mounted.
Thanks Bill B

This reminded me of my instructor when I was training for my CFI certificate, who said it is important to know where the fire extinguisher is because it could be used to disable a student pilot who locks up at the controls.

This reminded me of my instructor when I was training for my CFI certificate, who said it is important to know where the fire extinguisher is because it could be used to disable a student pilot who locks up at the controls.

I don’t think you had a very bright CFI.

It's also where one of the extinguishers in my boat is located.

Well I finally have the extinguisher mounted. Used #10 screws. What do you think? I mounted under the pilot seat because lately 90% of my flying is by myself, my wife Tami is always working when I'm off..:( Hopefully that will change in 2 years when I retire and work just for fun..:)
fire e 5.jpg

Last edited:
Back