Fire Depts w Helo Units

Robert Cloudman

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
RobertCloudman83
Does anyone have a list of all the Fire Dept across the US that have an aviation wing? Not just Wildlands Firefighting but also units like FDNY. I ask because I have military help experience and would like to join a FD and then eventually apply to fly with them internally. I know LAFD has a program like this. Also,I've seen lists like this for Law Enforcement Depts (ie San Diego Sheriff) that have internal air wings and hire internally but feel like something similar for the Fire community is missing. Any help would be appreciated!

Maybe contact LAFD and ask them. Welcome to POA. I know Juneau is not one of them

Does anyone have a list of all the Fire Dept across the US that have an aviation wing? Not just Wildlands Firefighting but also units like FDNY. I ask because I have military help experience and would like to join a FD and then eventually apply to fly with them internally. I know LAFD has a program like this. Also,I've seen lists like this for Law Enforcement Depts (ie San Diego Sheriff) that have internal air wings and hire internally but feel like something similar for the Fire community is missing. Any help would be appreciated!

San Bernadino Sheriff has a huge aviation Dept that does ems, fire suppression and LE work.

I'm assuming you made a typo and cite 'military helo experience', but I would put a full court press on Cal Fire. They operate helicopters too. Through a contractor anyway.

I dunno. I did a quick googling even though I'm sure you already have. Anyway, are you willing to move and work anywhere? If there are limits to where you want to live and work, you might be able to just check out FD's one at a time.

FDNY has no helicopters, they wish they did, but don’t. The NYPD Aviation Unit, on the other hand, has seven and is tasked with Air/Sea rescue and fire suppression with Bambi Bucket water drops when needed. NYPD AU pilots are all sworn police officers, no civilians, even the mechanics are LEO’s. They currently fly an all BELL fleet, two 412’s, four 429’s and a 407.

FDNY has no helicopters, they wish they did, but don’t. The NYPD Aviation Unit, on the other hand, has seven and is tasked with Air/Sea rescue and fire suppression with Bambi Bucket water drops when needed. NYPD AU pilots are all sworn police officers, no civilians, even the mechanics are LEO’s. They currently fly an all BELL fleet, two 412’s, four 429’s and a 407.
Every law enforcement officer that works for NYPD is a civilian.

but I would put a full court press on Cal Fire. They operate helicopters too. Through a contractor anyway.

Cal Fire is a significant operator, Orange County Fire Authority too. Various California agencies contract with Coulson as well as having their own crews.

Cal Fire’s helo pilots are firefighters.

...and they do take military pilots since they often have the low level hours needed to meet the requirements. I have a acquaintance who was an actual Marine One pilot (yes, he flew the president) and now is a Cal Fire pilot and loves that job more.

...and they do take military pilots since they often have the low level hours needed to meet the requirements. I have a acquaintance who was an actual Marine One pilot (yes, he flew the president) and now is a Cal Fire pilot and loves that job more.
Of course he does. He is saving people and serving his community. Not hauling crap. Lol

Back