FIOS, hooray!

woodstock

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
iTravel
I just got FIOS hooked up this morning. I'm a happy camper. It's pretty darn fast! But even better... it's saving me a net of about 65 bucks a month, since it's bundled with my current VZ phone service and I get to tell Comcast to take a hike. The difference b/w what I was paying on VZ with phone only and the new FIOS is an extra 5 bucks or so - including unlimited long distance, caller ID, call waiting, and voice mail... and Comcast is gone baby gone.

How much you want to bet Comcast charges me a disconnect fee.

I just got FIOS hooked up this morning. I'm a happy camper. It's pretty darn fast! But even better... it's saving me a net of about 65 bucks a month, since it's bundled with my current VZ phone service and I get to tell Comcast to take a hike. The difference b/w what I was paying on VZ with phone only and the new FIOS is an extra 5 bucks or so - including unlimited long distance, caller ID, call waiting, and voice mail... and Comcast is gone baby gone.

How much you want to bet that the cost of your FIOS goes up as it becomes more popular? How long does your contract guarantee the price?

Last edited:
I've had FIOS for a couple of years now - TV price just went up slightly, internet and voice stayed the same. On the rare occasions when I've had an issue I've gotten an english-speaking tech who knew what he was talking about, and the problem got solved quickly (once they reprogrammed my DVR, second time I had a new router on my porch when I woke up the next morning).

Previously I'd been with Cox for TV and internet - I'm saving a good $70/month over previous charges.

Other people here in the DC area report similar results - occasional issues getting the initial install scheduled (local subcontractors may do that), and great performance and service once installed.

Yeah, it's good stuff. We got hooked up a couple of weeks ago (no TV offered in our township yet - only cable). Phone quality is better and I love the speed.

Now I gotta tell everybody else, thanks, for subsidizing my connection! My driveway is 1/2 mile long and it took Verizon about 9 man-days to run the conduit and get the fiber hooked up. It'll be many years before they make a dime on me!

The plan is to switch TV over when it's offered...

Comcast probably won't have a disconnect fee, but they're prone to do 'bout normal and screw up your last bill or fail to stop your service.

Maybe you'll get a Thank You note from Comcast customer prevention for ridding them of one more pesky customer. :rolleyes:

actually, the disconnect was easier than I thought. I was on hold for 35 minutes (only!!) and they disconnected it with no fuss. No fee either. I dropped off the modem a few hours ago and have a receipt for that - so even if they "fail to shut off the service" I have a receipt. Not to mention I can't use the service anyway.

I told them that had they honored the Adelphia fee when they bought Adelphia, I likely would never have bothered to change over - but raising my rates overnight for utterly no reason ticked me off and since they refused to honor the old rates it was only a matter of time before FIOS would be available in my 'hood. The guy mumbled sorry and that was it.

actually, the disconnect was easier than I thought. I was on hold for 35 minutes (only!!) and they disconnected it with no fuss. No fee either. I dropped off the modem a few hours ago and have a receipt for that - so even if they "fail to shut off the service" I have a receipt. Not to mention I can't use the service anyway.

I told them that had they honored the Adelphia fee when they bought Adelphia, I likely would never have bothered to change over - but raising my rates overnight for utterly no reason ticked me off and since they refused to honor the old rates it was only a matter of time before FIOS would be available in my 'hood. The guy mumbled sorry and that was it.

What d'ya expect on the rates? Somebody has to pay for all of the executive bonuses on the merger, even if the Adelphia guys went to prison.

Comcast might save some time and labor and just automate the customer cancellations that are going to coming 'en mass.

DirecTV just added $5 a month fee for the "free" HD channels after promising the HD package rates wouldn't go up. I just canceled HD entirely, saving me about $15 a month. I'll be canceling it all soon.

Back