Finger..

jesse

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Jesse
I was playing football yesterday and my ring finger on my right hand managed to somehow just nick a ball that was going..very fast.

Well, of course, it hurt like hell at the time but I just ignored it. Now it's all swollen up and bruised. I can close my hand up to about 90 degrees, hold onto a ball, things like that..just fine. But I cannot close it completely because of the pain. Can't hold a pen or anything like that... and still swollen and black and blue.

Broken? If so...Would anything be done if I went in? I don't have medical insurance right now so I prefer the "deal with it" routine...

Sounds like a classic case of "Jammed Finger."

As a lineman, it used to happen once every 2 weeks or so. In about 3 days, the swelling will go down, but the finger will still be tender. By the end of a week, you'll have forgotten it ever happened.

thats what you get for playing football, stick to video games, much safer!

Nick's got it right. Hurts for a little while. Goes away.

If you're lucky, your finger will even still be straight. :D

Seriously, even it it's a mild break, a doc would not likely do anything. If you're REALLY worried or you keep banging it on stuff OR you just want some sympathy, go to the drugstore and get a finger splint and some tape and splint it yourself.

Ken Ibold said:
Seriously, even it it's a mild break, a doc would not likely do anything. If you're REALLY worried or you keep banging it on stuff OR you just want some sympathy, go to the drugstore and get a finger splint and some tape and splint it yourself.

Not worried. That's pretty much what I expected to hear.

Hot and cold compresses will help reduce the swelling.

Steve said:
Amputation....below the neck.....

You'd like that too much..Sorry, not going to make it that easy for you :)

youre a youngster, this will pass (quickly) - wait til you start doing this stuff at 45 and 50. OWWowwOWWowww! &$#^%#% (much less sympathy is available at that age as well, you will find!) My ankle still aint right from last xmas' outdoor volleyball (backyard) championships! Thank god for ASA.
Acute phase: ICE and rest, pain meds.
Later, warmth and physio.

Aw Doc, I'll bet you tell that to all your patients. :D

BTW what the heck is your new avatar?

Greg

ymean my avatar, Greg?
I guess it is kinda blurry but I am hand cranking the impulse coupling on a mag; the last step after rebuilding, to ensure each of the six poles makes a nice hot spark, and to make sure it all turns smoothly inside, the IC spring has enough tension.

Very cool ... I thought it was some kind of new-fangled splint affair for a broken hind leg on a dog ... :D

Let'sgoflying! said:
ymean my avatar, Greg?
I guess it is kinda blurry but I am hand cranking the impulse coupling on a mag; the last step after rebuilding, to ensure each of the six poles makes a nice hot spark, and to make sure it all turns smoothly inside, the IC spring has enough tension.

I thought it was a sausage grinder

Let'sgoflying! said:
I dunno. I'm, I'm... having a bit of a problem with it.

Yeah, what you need is Mona Lisa playing with a magneto.

I've had a broken finger/knuckle on my middle finger since, oh July. It almost get healed, and then *wham* I hit it again and feel it recrack.

N2212R said:
I've had a broken finger/knuckle on my middle finger since, oh July. It almost get healed, and then *wham* I hit it again and feel it recrack.

Just hope you do not break a collar bone. I rebroke it 4 or 5 more times during the healing process. It took six months to heal enough to really use it.

hey you guys that keep rebreaking stuff - I think the Dr. probably told you to REST the injured part!! ie no basketball with a broken collar bone! No running with a broken leg! I bet you keep working even when you are dying with the flu as well. New avatar planned tonight. Aviation related. Maybe a pic of a freshly deceased IO520 jug.

smigaldi said:
Just hope you do not break a collar bone. I rebroke it 4 or 5 more times during the healing process. It took six months to heal enough to really use it.

Ugh. Amen to that one Scott. I broke mine roller blading (along with my skull :eek:)

Of course, I was more efficient than you - I just broke it in a zillion places all at once. It was in at least four pieces and is still in a nasty shape today. It took two years before I could carry any significant weight on that side and about four years before I could sleep on my left side. Not fun. :no:

Some would say my skull never healed. ;) :D

gkainz said:
Ouch - a Viking jug?

yes; no surprise - I had been watching for it.
I got >1000hrs out of them and they were an unknown age since reconditioned.
:(
I will set up a paypal account soon, such that everyone may donate!
:)

Let'sgoflying! said:
yes; no surprise - I had been watching for it.
I got >1000hrs out of them and they were an unknown age since reconditioned.
:(
I will set up a paypal account soon, such that everyone may donate!
:)
I just caught myself up on the saga over on the Viking chat... way better than the "guess what?" call from the A&P ...

As long as it's not dislocated -- OWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!

Tape it up and get back in there, Tiger!

(Oh, and don't wear a wedding ring when you're an ice hockey goalie. Same thing'll happen. Crack!)

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back