Finding the elusive approch?

thito01

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Tony T
Are there any tools or web sites available that would make it easy to find a list of specific approaches closest to a specific airport? Say I want to see where the closest NDB or BC or DME Arc approach is so that I can go practice.
Tony T.

I'm not aware of anything exactly like that. But you can go to Skyvector, right-click on each airport, and it will show you the available approaches. Should only take you a few minutes to catalog the approaches available in your area.

Are there any tools or web sites available that would make it easy to find a list of specific approaches closest to a specific airport? Say I want to see where the closest NDB or BC or DME Arc approach is so that I can go practice.
Tony T.

Yes, this would be useful for training purposes. Unfortunately, other than clicking through all airports, I don't know if there is a search function to find a specific type of approach.

https://www.faa.gov/air_traffic/flight_info/aeronav/procedures/application/?event=procedure.advanced - this sounds like what you seek. This is the FAA's own website that allows you to sort by Service Area (C, E, W), Region, State, and others. So, say for example you wanted all the NDBs in the state of FL, pull down the State box, select FL, and then scroll to Procedure/Airway/Fix Name and put in just "NDB". I show 5 just now - EYW, HEG, LCQ, MAI, MTH.

This, paired with knowledge of the area or an IFR ENR chart, ought to get you pretty darned close to your original request.

Hope this helps. We use it all the time.

Interesting,
Only 63 LOC BC approaches left in the US.
But, 279 approaches have 'NDB' in the name.

Back