Finding Partnerships

Bonchie

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Bonchie
Are there any sites dedicated to this? Facebook groups? Yahoo groups? etc.? There never seem to be any listed on controller and the like.

When I was in the DC area, the bulletin boards always had guys looking for partners. Now that I'm in MS, I haven't seen a single thing posted at the area airports. And it's not from a lack of planes. There's plenty of single engine pistons flying at the airports I've been to so far.

How'd you find your partners if you have any? Is it taboo to just find out who owns a plane and call them up to inquire if they are open to partnering?

(Obviously, I could buy my own plane and then find partners, but for the sake of this thread, let's assume I want to try to buy into something already established.)

I am in EXACTLY the same position. I will be interested to hear what others have to say. I have been stalking the local schools at facebook page and made contact with one of their recent PP students. I have inquired at the home drome without any help.

AOPA has a partnership/flying club finder, but I don't think it's all that effective. Check the airport bulletin boards.

I found 2 out of my 3 partner's on a local television's classified section, and craigslist. It took a while but its worked out great.

If you could afford to finance the airplane yourself and find partners later on I would do that.
You want to find the right partners who are financially sound and responsible as pilots.

I'm not into a partnership but hope to be in one someday.

Do your local airports not have a bulletin board? There are always airplanes listed for sale and partnerships offered on them around here. I'd also suggest actually hanging out at the airport and making some friends. Oftentimes the people in the know are at the airport.

All you people saying look on the bulletin boards...did you not read the OP? Not trying to be rude, but I clearly said I've been checking the bulletin boards.

One bulletin board at the home drome, its about 2x2 and the flyer for the Sundowner that was for sale in March of 2014 is STILL the only thing on it. And David, don't tempt me. I would love to live in Arizona. You gonna help me get set up? I can fix your van.

Talk to mechanics. They probably hear who's looking for a partner. Join the type club for the plane your interested in. There could be partnerships listed in in their newsletter. Talk to pilots hanging around in their hangar. I think the bulletin board and word of mouth is what got all the partners I've had.

There used to be a website. 'Aircraft partnership association' or something to that effect. Their site was cumbersome to use and bombarded you with emails for years after you cancelled. AOPA bought them and managed to make it even more cumbersome and less useful.

I found my share through a 'for sale' ad on beechtalk. Post it as 'WTB' here in the classifieds. Say where you are looking and what kind of plane you are looking for. Be open minded. In a partnership it doesn't matter much whether you have this or that equipment or whether you are in a 172 or Cheetah.

My instructor actually helped get me into my partnership.
Mechanics are also good ones to ask too.
My instructor set me up with one guy originally, but that fell through after the pre-buy. During the pre-buy the mechanic mentioned another group on the field that had a partnered plane that he works on. I asked my instructor about I and he said he was planning on asking the guys if they were looking for another. Turns out they weren't really looking, but they weren't opposed either! Here I am nearing my first full year of (partial) airplane ownership!

I have come to the conclusion a lot of people are more excited with talking about partnerships. But when it's time to actually purchase, they back out. I have already lost out on a couple of great planes. My next option I'd buying myself and the. Hopefully find partners not too long after.

I have come to the conclusion a lot of people are more excited with talking about partnerships. But when it's time to actually purchase, they back out. I have already lost out on a couple of great planes. My next option I'd buying myself and the. Hopefully find partners not too long after.

The guys 'talking about a partnership' are the ones who own a plane, don't use it and can't really justify the expense. At the end of the day, they don't want a partner or share their plane with anyone.

That's different from an established partnership with already a couple of people in place. Ideally, nobody considers it 'their' plane and gets their feelings hurt if someone leaves the audio panel on com2 or the seat all the way forward.

Try searching the FAA registry for whatever type you're interested in, find the locals, and let your fingers do the walking. Pilots like to talk about airplanes.

Last edited:
The guys 'talking about a partnership' are the ones who own a plane, don't use it and can't really justify the expense. At the end of the day, they don't want a partner or share their plane with anyone.

That's different from an established partnership with already a couple of people in place. Ideally, nobody considers it 'their' plane and gets their feelings hurt if someone leaves the audio panel on com2 or the seat all the way forward.

These have been guys that aren't owners. Want to own, but when it comes down to pulling the trigger. They have all sorts of excuses. "I don't have the money at this time, I really don't like that type of plane, I don't like the interior of that plane, etc.."

That, or the owner doesn't really want the guy who is asking about a partnership as their partner. So, they make excuses.

I can think of far fewer people that I would want as a partner than people I don't. Most of the people I'd consider are already airplane owners so it never even gets brought up. And, with the attitudes and expectations of ownership and maintenance often displayed on this web board I don't think I'd want anyone from on here.

These have been guys that aren't owners. Want to own, but when it comes down to pulling the trigger. They have all sorts of excuses. "I don't have the money at this time, I really don't like that type of plane, I don't like the interior of that plane, etc.."

There are always tire kickers. I know a few locals who do this, some of them have even progressed to a prebuy then backed out, leaving the other party or parties hanging. I won't even waste my time with those guys, they'll never buy.

I have been looking myself and have not received any responses so far, I am a stickler for maintenance and would be requiring the same from a partner. I am surprised there are not more people looking I am open to the type of airplane or structure of the deal. I am posting on the forums but that is not working so I am going to go the the relevant airports and post on their boards.

If you are talking to me I am in Lehigh Valley Pa ABE or KXLL and in MD at 58M or KEVY

Back