Finding old medical records

S

Syncopey

I fainted once many years ago. The doctor at the hospital I was taken to said it was a case of vasovagal syncope. The trigger was both clear and unlikely to occur in the air. So if I understand correctly I should be able to pass a 3rd class medical.

Unfortunately I have been unable to find any records of this- the hospital I was taken to does not have any records of this. Is there anywhere else I could go to get some hard records? Is it even necessary, or is my description likely to be enough to let me pass? Is there anything else I can prepare, or should I just shut up and go talk to an AME about it?

How many years ago is many? No recurrence, no cardiac issues, no neuro issues, negative for everything at the time?

I can tell you what my AME would say, but you're not likely going to my AME, so you need to consult with your own prior to having the exam. I wouldn't expect it to be an issue, but you might need a doctor's letter or something attesting to a lack of concern.

How many years ago is many? No recurrence, no cardiac issues, no neuro issues, negative for everything at the time?

I can tell you what my AME would say, but you're not likely going to my AME, so you need to consult with your own prior to having the exam. I wouldn't expect it to be an issue, but you might need a doctor's letter or something attesting to a lack of concern.
It was around 9 years ago. No recurrences, no cardiac issues, no neuro issues. I have some unrelated medical issues but they are all clearly certifiable.

I haven't yet found an AME in my area that does consults. I'll keep looking.

Thanks for your input.

I had 2 closely spaced episodes of the condition.

Badly sprained knee and ventral hernia were causal.

Documented and got SI and now Basic Med.

It was around 9 years ago. No recurrences, no cardiac issues, no neuro issues. I have some unrelated medical issues but they are all clearly certifiable.

Thanks for your input.
If you post what area, someone might have a suggestion.

I’m no one in this area, but ISTM that one thing you should do is de-medicalize the discussion. You didn’t “have an episode of vasovagal syncope,” you “fainted once.” Hardly worrisome, or even memorable.

Basically any unexplained fainting needs to be explained but I have no idea if only one episode 9 years ago counts. Is a single episode 9 years ago a "history"?

The first link says "recurrent" so I'm going to go on a limb and say it's not going to be a big deal, but I'm not an AME just SGOTI trying to avoid doing my chores this morning.

https://www.faa.gov/about/office_or...ide/app_process/exam_tech/item36/amd/syncope/
https://www.faa.gov/about/office_or...me/guide/app_process/exam_tech/item46/amd/nc/

I fainted once while wearing a dark suit in my senior year high school. Memorial Day parade, hot sun, and stand for the speeches etc. Dx vasovagal syncope. Fast forward 45 years I went for my third class medical, reported the above incident. I got a few questions “did this ever happen again?

No. Issued the third class cert. in office. You will have no problem with this. -Skip

If you post what area, someone might have a suggestion.
I'm in the Sacramento area.

I’m no one in this area, but ISTM that one thing you should do is de-medicalize the discussion. You didn’t “have an episode of vasovagal syncope,” you “fainted once.” Hardly worrisome, or even memorable.
I agree with you, but I'm a little worried the FAA doesn't. In https://www.faa.gov/about/office_org/headquarters_offices/avs/offices/aam/ame/guide/standards/ they have "Transient loss of control of nervous system function(s) without satisfactory explanation of cause" listed as a specifically disqualifying condition.

Thanks for the input, everyone. Once I find a good AME I'll go in for a consultation.

You satisfactorily explained it: vasovagal. Additionally it is non recurring by your statement. You’re clear.

You haven't told us what it was, but you said the trigger was clear. That's not "without satisfactory explanation of cause."

That’s a good point. I missed that. There is a big difference between the cause was “I had a high fever and strep throat when I was a little kid and fainted when they gave me the extremely painful penicillin shot,” (which actually happened to me) and “I fainted because I drank too much Vodka.”

Update: AME didn't care about documents regarding the syncope. Application was deferred for an unrelated reason. FAA did care about it. I eventually managed to track down the relevant documents, and finally was issued a 3rd class SI.

I will never understand this the few times I've seen a similar statement, or you're not asking the right way. I did a consult with my AME a year or so ago. I offered to pay him his normal rate, and on his normal schedule. (He actually gave me a little discount since he didn't have to do any paperwork). Why wouldn't an AME agree to a consult?

I have LOC on my MedXPress application for Class 1. With a reason. The Doc did not even ask about it after reading. It was a nothing-burger.

I had an occasion where I was unsure if a medical incident would legally interfere with my medical certificate. I made an appointment with the AME as normal. Showed up with no paperwork. Told him I just had a question. Give the question. He gave the answer which turned out to be in my favor. Basically - no issue, fly when I feel good. Paid the normal appointment fee and left. Knowing both legal to fly at the time as well as knowing next medical was not going to be a surprise.

Back