Finding Lat/Long of a VFR Checkpoint

eetrojan

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
eetrojan
On the Los Angeles TAC, a few miles north of KBUR, there's a VFR checkpoint called "Tujunga Wash & Foothill (VPLTW)."

I take it that a "wash" is a dry riverbed. As that sounds like it would appear to be a long line from the air, I want to get a sense of the checkpoint's exact location relative to the highway it crosses using Google Earth.

My Google-fu is low this morning.

How do I find the lat/long coordinates corresponding to VPLTW?

Never mind. Found it in the tables on the chart, which is somewhat embarrassing.

You could get close enough with a pencil and rule on a paper chart. Wait! Do they still have papyrus?

Last edited:
I really like Foreflight. Search the waypoint of interest, then switch to street map or aerial map.

You can just drive over there with your phone or GPS and note the position. . . Right clicking is easier . . .

On the Los Angeles TAC, a few miles north of KBUR, there's a VFR checkpoint called "Tujunga Wash & Foothill (VPLTW)."

I take it that a "wash" is a dry riverbed. As that sounds like it would appear to be a long line from the air, I want to get a sense of the checkpoint's exact location relative to the highway it crosses using Google Earth.

My Google-fu is low this morning.

How do I find the lat/long coordinates corresponding to VPLTW?

Google worked for me.

Back