Finding hangar space

Seth.A

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Seth.A
I'm looking to purchase my first plane, and it seems storage is the current major road block. Every airport within an hour of me (Seattle area) lists a years long wait list for their hangars. It seems that most of them have significantly more privately owned hangars than those owned by the airport / county / whatever. I assume some of those eventually get put up for rent by their owners, but where is a good place to find out about that sort of thing? I've been suggested to "just get to know people at the airport" but that seems like a chicken / egg situation. Are there any good online markets where folks tend to post that sort of thing?

and of course, if anyone has a line on some hangar space in the Seattle area.....

It helps to know someone. Meet the airport manager and find out the quickest way into a hangar. Persistence and already having a plane helped me finally get one. You may have to be on a tie down for a while.

I spent days going around knocking on doors at the airports until I found a shared space.

Every airport has a bulletin board. Find it and look for hangar ads. If there isn’t one, put up a hangar wanted ad.

Also, things I learned when hangar shopping: heated cost more to rent and heat nearly half the year; Reiff cost a lot less. Different counties may charge property taxes. Check the airports and see if you can find the land lease cost. This will be a significant contributor to the rental or ownership ongoing cost. And join the local EAA and make some network connections that way. Thins that didn’t work: hangar trader, PoA.

Back