finding a FAA Examiner reviews

hobokenfly

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
hobokenfly
So im getting ready for my instrument checkride. When i took my private pilot checkride i studied for the oral using the book everyone uses.
When the time came for the checkride i was not expecting nor studied for most of the questions asked by the FAA examiner. Is there any website or anything where i can find out what to expect from a certain FAA Examiner on the checkride? Last time i used word of mouth at the flight school what to expect, but there is a FAA Examiner that nobody has used before at my flight school.

Is there any website or anything where i can find out what to expect from a certain FAA Examiner on the checkride?
Just know your stuff. Backwards and forwards. Use the PTS and try to imagine what questions could conceivably be asked that you'd be uncomfortable answering. The purpose of the PTS is to standardize test subjects, not questions. Studying a set of questions, as you found out, does not prepare you to be a good pilot.

dtuuri

Google his name along with "dpe", "faa", or "checkride". I was able to find several thorough write-ups about checkride experiences with my DPE.

Google his name along with "dpe", "faa", or "checkride". I was able to find several thorough write-ups about checkride experiences with my DPE.
I tried that with ours and got zero results personally. I'd probably ask to have a more well known one and fly to a different airport to get to him.

I suggest you spend your time studying more rather than try to find a gouge on a DPE. The need to find a DPE gouge suggests that you really don't know your stuff, and that you are looking to study for the test, rather than study to be knowledgeable and safe as a pilot.

It's really disappointing and really too bad that pilots feel the need to cheat in order to get through certification. If you studied hard, you'll be ready. If you didn't, you'll be looking for gouges and become a sub par pilot for the rest of your life.

I suggest you spend your time studying more rather than try to find a gouge on a DPE. The need to find a DPE gouge suggests that you really don't know your stuff, and that you are looking to study for the test, rather than study to be knowledgeable and safe as a pilot.

It's really disappointing and really too bad that pilots feel the need to cheat in order to get through certification. If you studied hard, you'll be ready. If you didn't, you'll be looking for gouges and become a sub par pilot for the rest of your life.

No, sorry, don't agree. I've heard of two DPEs I wouldn't go to because their fail rate is extremely high, for trivial reasons. I've heard this from more than one instructor. Or it could be so they can get more money on the retest. Not everyone is trying to cheat.

For any kind of check ride, a good idea is to have a look at the PTS for that ride.
Obviously, it pays to just know your stuff, but the PTS will show you what the minimum requirements are. Doesn't mean there won't be anything else, but you should at least be prepared for what's in the PTS.
And don't worry too much about the surprises- a good DPE is grading you on how well you deal with surprises, not on whether or not you saw everything coming.

So im getting ready for my instrument checkride. When i took my private pilot checkride i studied for the oral using the book everyone uses.

what book?

When the time came for the checkride i was not expecting nor studied for most of the questions asked by the FAA examiner. Is there any website or anything where i can find out what to expect from a certain FAA Examiner on the checkride? Last time i used word of mouth at the flight school what to expect, but there is a FAA Examiner that nobody has used before at my flight school.

No, sorry, don't agree. I've heard of two DPEs I wouldn't go to because their fail rate is extremely high, for trivial reasons. I've heard this from more than one instructor. Or it could be so they can get more money on the retest. Not everyone is trying to cheat.

Agree 100% with Al. Picking your DPE might be easier said than done though. I was warned by multiple people about the on staff DPE at my school. When I investigated using another DPE, I was told that the school wouldn't allow me to rent a plane to do it. If I wanted use their plane, I had to use the on staff DPE.

In theory, reviewing the PTS and FAA Order 8900.2 should tell you exactly what to expect. In reality, PIC keeps a database from instructor reports of practical tests by each examiner, and they are often very instructive. That said, short of access to such a collection of reports, there's not much you can do other than talk to instructors who have used that examiner several times before.

WTF? really
I couldnt diagree more

Studying + gouging just makes you look like an Ace...a good gouge is nothing more than a scouting report on the other team...It can also give one a basis to visualize the checkride and remove some anxiety.....gouge alone isnt enought...Good on this guy for trying to be as sucessfull as he can.

Last edited:

And you inductively decided he is not prepared and sub par, how?

The OP was asking for what to expect of examiners, IOW, their play book. The inquiry wasn't about whether an examiner has a high fail rate or not. I can understand not wanting to go with an examiner who has a reputation for high failures. But to ask for an examiner's play book, that's an indication that you haven't studied, and now you're looking for a quick fix to study to the examiner's play book to pass.

WTF? really
I couldnt diagree more

Studying + gouging just makes you look like an Ace...a good gouge is nothing more than a scouting report on the other team...It can also give one a basis to visualize the checkride and remove some anxiety.....gouge alone isnt enought...Good on this guy for trying to be as sucessfull as he can.

I'm glad it's all about looking like an Ace, and not studying hard to know the materials so that you ARE an Ace.

Race to the bottom much?

And you inductively decided he is not prepared and sub par, how?

The OP said: "When the time came for the checkride i was not expecting nor studied for most of the questions asked by the FAA examiner."

Now I find that extremely difficult to believe that any student who have studied hard could find an examiner asking most of his questions that were completely out of left field.

In my experience, I have been exposed to questions out of left field from examiners, and to my recollection, they were few and far in between, not "most".

Well, for me, s/he's too lazy to capitalize his/her "I"s. Prolly doesn't spend much time studying either. :tongue:

dtuuri

Says the guy who says "prolly". :D

Sent via teletype

I like to know a DPEs emphasis areas so I know what to study hard(er)

The guy I took my commercial initial with had several thousand hours inBonanzas, so he asked me A LOT of airplane related questions. More than on any other check ride. (I did the ride in a Bo)

For any kind of check ride, a good idea is to have a look at the PTS for that ride.
Obviously, it pays to just know your stuff, but the PTS will show you what the minimum requirements are. Doesn't mean there won't be anything else, but you should at least be prepared for what's in the PTS.
And don't worry too much about the surprises- a good DPE is grading you on how well you deal with surprises, not on whether or not you saw everything coming.

My CFE went right down the list for my instrument checkride.

Crazy idea, but couldn't you just call the DPE and ask for what to expect, things to bring, and emphasis areas that they like to see?

Our local DPEs would be happy to oblige -- they all want a stress-free ride for the student, and fear of the unknown is a large part of checkride stress. Fear of being ill-prepared, well, only you can control that one. ;)

I've also had CFIs call on behalf of students sometimes, when it was an oddball or out of our territory for scheduling reasons or what have you. Particularly for IFR rides, the DPEs will usually give a list of a few airports that they like to stay within, as well as a menu of possible approaches they'll ask for.

I've never heard of a DPE who only answered with "read the PTS, jamoke, and bring me that green cash money" when asked, basically, "how can I do my best to not fail your ride?" :D

In theory, reviewing the PTS and FAA Order 8900.2 should tell you exactly what to expect. In reality, PIC keeps a database from instructor reports of practical tests by each examiner, and they are often very instructive. That said, short of access to such a collection of reports, there's not much you can do other than talk to instructors who have used that examiner several times before.

Ron- More and more you provide little nuggets on why PIC is such a top-notch team. I'll be sure to tell the boss they should keep you around a little longer :D

However....

The flip side is that someone (with a suspicious mind) could say that PIC uses this to stack the deck. Is there a way to eliminate this deck stacking (or the mere appearance of it) by any organization?
*I'm not accusing in this case*

The reason I'm asking, is that although I felt I had a fair DPE (Frank), but I also felt it was a little unfair to be provided a 'sneak peek' of what other candidates experienced before me. I'm not a masochist, but I do like to earn my way. In the back of my mind, I felt a slight tarnish after passing.

I'm glad it's all about looking like an Ace, and not studying hard to know the materials so that you ARE an Ace.

Race to the bottom much?

You don't get it ...a gouge is just a scouting report if you don't know your stuff you will fail...and as for racing to the bottom just what makes you think that?
really id like to know.:yes:

The OP was asking for what to expect of examiners, IOW, their play book. The inquiry wasn't about whether an examiner has a high fail rate or not. I can understand not wanting to go with an examiner who has a reputation for high failures. But to ask for an examiner's play book, that's an indication that you haven't studied, and now you're looking for a quick fix to study to the examiner's play book to pass.
I know a few examiners who use a really complicated or bizarre IR practical test profile that without prior knowledge, most pros I know would probably bust. In those cases, you need to know before you go. Ditto some bizarre questions or interpretations they have for the oral, including one who swears he was told during DPE refresher at OKC that a safety pilot must be PIC qualified because s/he automatically becomes the pilot in command if s/he takes the controls, or the one who insists that if you're entering a hold on the opposite course and doing a parallel entry, you must upon crossing the fix turn to the non-holding side and then turn parallel again. Another issue is the use of a handheld GPS during partial panel -- some will not allow it at all, and others will bust you on judgement if you don't use whatever you have in the cockpit in that situation. If you know about those, you can prepare your trainees to pass the weird rides these folks give.

And no, I don't consider that "stacking the deck" -- just being smart and well-prepared for nonstandard tests.

Last edited:
The OP said: "When the time came for the checkride i was not expecting nor studied for most of the questions asked by the FAA examiner."

Now I find that extremely difficult to believe that any student who have studied hard could find an examiner asking most of his questions that were completely out of left field.

In my experience, I have been exposed to questions out of left field from examiners, and to my recollection, they were few and far in between, not "most".
So the questions were not the expected ones. But I'm saying how is it that you know, that he didn't have MASTERY?

So I might have questions I didn't expect. But on my CFI oral i blew the guy away. Was I not prepared?

Back