Finding a CFI and other beginner questions

Jon Wymore

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Jokerb19
Hello everyone!

This is my first post after lurking for a bit. I will give a brief intro as i didn't see a new members section. I am 29, I live in Utah and have always loved aviation. I wanted to be a pilot in the Air Force but decided to join the Army after 9/11 instead. Now i am out of the military, have 2 kids, a wife and a career as a Software Developer. I am nearing the point where i have the means to actually get my Private Pilots License, which lead me here in hopes of planning.

I have a couple questions that i tried to answer using search but was unable to locate anything. I could be searching for the wrong keywords though so i will ask them here.

My goal to get my license is not to do it fast or cheaply. I want to preface with that. That being said, i would describe my plan as efficiency and affordability. I define those as getting my license in as little time as safely reasonable, and without over spending in any way i can avoid. I don't want to skimp, just be frugal, but still make sure i am as safe as i can be and am not rushing.

Part 1. of the plan is to buy a plane that would be reasonable for flight training(Cessna 152, Diamond DA 40 etc...). I have been looking at the costs to own breakdowns by anyone i can find, and i believe i can afford a plane around $75K range. The main attraction here is the availability of the aircraft for training. I want to be able to fly as often as i can afford to, to maximize knowledge retention. Also, familiarity in the aircraft i intend to fly after training ends is another plus. Is this generally a good idea?

Part 2. Doing as much of grounds school on my own as i can. I have a decent background in aviation. I was a member of the Civil Air Patrol through much of my youth and got to fly in/take the controls of a Cessna 182 several times. As well as my mainstay of PC gaming has been every version of XPlane since v6. I feel i could get this out of the way and will have a good level of base knowledge the first time i take a lesson from a CFI. I understand there will be a lot of holes to fill in while the actual flight training is going on.

Part 3. When doing my actual flight training, i intend to have enough funds to fly often until i complete my training, and if i own my own aircraft, i wont have to fight availability. I want to train as often as i can, but not over do it. Is it best to take days off between training? Should i go all in and try and train every day if i can make the schedule with my CFI work? My work schedule is extremely flexible so i am hoping to make this a reality. Although CFI availability may be my limiting factor here.

And then the main question i came here to ask, how do i find a good, reputable CFI? I have looked up several flight schools in my area and they offer package deals, and aircraft for rent etc., but i haven't found individuals that are willing to be hired hourly. Is there a website or exchange where CFI's post their personal ads so i can locate one or two in my area and begin talking to them once the time is right?

I hope this wall of text articulates my plan/questions and you can offer me some advice and answers. I am very excited to be getting into aviation and cant wait to take my family flying.

Thanks all!

Take a few lessons (maybe through solo) using rental aircraft and learn as much as you can about the maintenance side of owning before buying. It is very easy to make a several thousand dollar mistake on an airplane purchase. Much cheaper to rent for a while when learning to fly than to buy a plane that costs you ten thousand dollars at the first annual inspection.

Forget nearly everything you think you learned in X-Plane.

I dunno how to find good CFI's. I just used the ones that were readily available at the flight school. It sorta worked out.

Take a few lessons (maybe through solo) using rental aircraft and learn as much as you can about the maintenance side of owning before buying. It is very easy to make a several thousand dollar mistake on an airplane purchase. Much cheaper to rent for a while when learning to fly than to buy a plane that costs you ten thousand dollars at the first annual inspection.

Forget nearly everything you think you learned in X-Plane.

I dunno how to find good CFI's. I just used the ones that were readily available at the flight school. It sorta worked out.

Thanks for the reply! I wondered about renting before i buy, but i felt like availability would be a huge issue based on what i have heard. Do you think availability would be OK based on your experience?

Thanks for the reply! I wondered about renting before i buy, but i felt like availability would be a huge issue based on what i have heard. Do you think availability would be OK based on your experience?

All depends on where you do your training. I had difficulty getting aircraft, instructor, and good weather all available when I was available. The more flexible you are with your own time the easier it will be.

All depends on where you do your training. I had difficulty getting aircraft, instructor, and good weather all available when I was available. The more flexible you are with your own time the easier it will be.

This is what i would like to avoid. If i get my own aircraft(carefully purchasing so i dont make a huge mistake) it would at least take the aircraft out of that equation. That, and being flexible with my own schedule i hope to be able to fly any time it is reasonable. Or at least thats my inexperienced thoughts...

I had very few problems with availability. The school had four 172's so something was almost always available. They knew that they didn't make money when the aircraft were down for maintenance.

If you own the aircraft then you won't be flying when *it* is down for maintenance. Same with the instructor. In my view it was better to have several instructors available rather than just one. I'm sure that everyone has their own perspective and reasons for choices on these two items.

Make sure you get a CFI that isn't looking for an airline job.

I had 4 CFIs; the first 3 departed for airline gigs. Each time I changed, I lost several weeks until I could fit into the CFI's schedule; add in more lost time for wx (inevitable) and I found myself having to repeat lessons and regain skills a few times. Painfully slow.

Welcome Jon! :cheers:

Now, might help if ya tell us where ya live as someone on here may know good CFIs in your area.

Are you eligible for GI Bill bennies? You have to pay for your PPC but after you have that then Unc Sam will help pay for additional certificates and ratings.

My experience with students is the more often you fly, the better, 2 times a week works out good as you retain from the previous lesson and can build on that. I'd say that would be a minimum if time and finances allow it. Nothing wrong with going up more days a week either, or a lesson in the morning and another in the evening.

Easy to study on your own as there are a ton of online courses out there. Also all these courses are based on FAA manuals, and they're free online at FAA.gov. Here's a couple if you want to take a peak:

https://www.faa.gov/regulations_policies/handbooks_manuals/aviation/phak/

https://www.faa.gov/regulations_policies/handbooks_manuals/aviation/airplane_handbook/

Russ Sill (POA member @write-stuff) puts out a free info guide on becoming a pilot and offers ground training courses. Here:

https://www.goldsealgroundschool.com/library/learn-to-fly-2017.pdf

Flight school where I instruct uses Gleim products (Gleim.com) but you're free to use any that you prefer. Good luck.

Hi Jon,

Buying the airplane doesn’t technically count as something that will necessarily get you to your goal faster UNLESS local rental availability is poor. Keep that in mind. If a local club has four 172s and isn’t overrun with renters, that’s just an airplane for you and three backups when it’s broken. You’ll also find unless you plan on selling the aircraft at the end, most rental rates will be very close to what you can operate and maintain your own aircraft for. There’s no margin in rentals. Buying and maintaining an airplane while learning can also be a distraction. Ownership is more of a choice of ownership than of availability unless you already know airplanes in your area are in short supply.

Ground school heavy on your own with a CFI guiding the study is great. Most CFIs wish students would come prepared and having read the material. Simulator won’t be all that useful until the Instrument rating. Numerous great ground school packages out there from books to full multimedia experiences. FAA publications are the root of all of them and are free to download. I like free. Some like video and pay John and Martha to lecture them. It’s a personal choice. The information that must be learned is the same.

Timeline, the military sends kids up often and they teach very fast. It really has more to do with your personal work schedule and weather than anything. Secondarily it will be controlled by aircraft and instructor availability but those can be managed easier than the first two for most people. There are “immersion” courses that’ll get a rating done quickly and there’s everything on down from there to “let’s fly when we can figure it out”. Most instructors will say flying at least a couple times a week is the minimum for retention and keeping moving forward instead of rehashing things. Anything more than that is gravy up until you’re flying a bit too much and wearing yourself and possibly the instructor out. Many accelerated courses plan to fly daily and use the weather, maintenance, and human factors delays to do ground work and study.

Welcome Jon! :cheers:

Now, might help if ya tell us where ya live as someone on here may know good CFIs in your area.

Are you eligible for GI Bill bennies? You have to pay for your PPC but after you have that then Unc Sam will help pay for additional certificates and ratings.

My experience with students is the more often you fly, the better, 2 times a week works out good as you retain from the previous lesson and can build on that. I'd say that would be a minimum if time and finances allow it. Nothing wrong with going up more days a week either, or a lesson in the morning and another in the evening.

Easy to study on your own as there are a ton of online courses out there. Also all these courses are based on FAA manuals, and they're free online at FAA.gov. Here's a couple if you want to take a peak:

https://www.faa.gov/regulations_policies/handbooks_manuals/aviation/phak/

https://www.faa.gov/regulations_policies/handbooks_manuals/aviation/airplane_handbook/

Russ Sill (POA member @write-stuff) puts out a free info guide on becoming a pilot and offers ground training courses. Here:

https://www.goldsealgroundschool.com/library/learn-to-fly-2017.pdf

Flight school where I instruct uses Gleim products (Gleim.com) but you're free to use any that you prefer. Good luck.

I live in Tooele, Utah. For those unfamiliar, its about 30 minutes west of salt lake city, and 1 hour 10 minutes from Provo. I mention those two locations as they are the primary hub for flight training i have found. I am not eligible for GI Bill anymore sadly :(. Wish i would have used it for this instead of what i did use it for. (Not that my degree is of any less importance) Thank you for your links of info and suggestions!

Hi Jon,

Buying the airplane doesn’t technically count as something that will necessarily get you to your goal faster UNLESS local rental availability is poor. Keep that in mind. If a local club has four 172s and isn’t overrun with renters, that’s just an airplane for you and three backups when it’s broken. You’ll also find unless you plan on selling the aircraft at the end, most rental rates will be very close to what you can operate and maintain your own aircraft for. There’s no margin in rentals. Buying and maintaining an airplane while learning can also be a distraction. Ownership is more of a choice of ownership than of availability unless you already know airplanes in your area are in short supply.

Ground school heavy on your own with a CFI guiding the study is great. Most CFIs wish students would come prepared and having read the material. Simulator won’t be all that useful until the Instrument rating. Numerous great ground school packages out there from books to full multimedia experiences. FAA publications are the root of all of them and are free to download. I like free. Some like video and pay John and Martha to lecture them. It’s a personal choice. The information that must be learned is the same.

Timeline, the military sends kids up often and they teach very fast. It really has more to do with your personal work schedule and weather than anything. Secondarily it will be controlled by aircraft and instructor availability but those can be managed easier than the first two for most people. There are “immersion” courses that’ll get a rating done quickly and there’s everything on down from there to “let’s fly when we can figure it out”. Most instructors will say flying at least a couple times a week is the minimum for retention and keeping moving forward instead of rehashing things. Anything more than that is gravy up until you’re flying a bit too much and wearing yourself and possibly the instructor out. Many accelerated courses plan to fly daily and use the weather, maintenance, and human factors delays to do ground work and study.

Thank you for this info! I definitely want to come to every lesson prepared so i can learn the material and put it into safe practice. I will be calling around and seeing if i can figure out what kind of availability for the airplanes in the area is like.

Make sure you get a CFI that isn't looking for an airline job.

I had 4 CFIs; the first 3 departed for airline gigs. Each time I changed, I lost several weeks until I could fit into the CFI's schedule; add in more lost time for wx (inevitable) and I found myself having to repeat lessons and regain skills a few times. Painfully slow.

This is excellent info, should i just be up front and ask the CFI if his time as a CFI is in prep for airline? Is there a more respectfull, tactfull way of putting it?

This is excellent info, should i just be up front and ask the CFI if his time as a CFI is in prep for airline? Is there a more respectfull, tactfull way of putting it?

My suggestion is to be frank, and expect the CFI to always be frank with you. Ask him how long he plans to continue teaching.

My suggestion is to be frank, and expect the CFI to always be frank with you. Ask him how long he plans to continue teaching.

That makes sense. I will take that advice to heart. Thanks!

What does Frank have to do with it? I've never had an instructor named Frank...if you're both Frank doesn't that get confusing to others? :)

Also remember a time builder won’t always leave right away, but regionals are sucking away CFIs and making offers when they hit about 1000 hours and expecting them to finish up the 1500 before they start, so many know well in advance that they’re leaving.

Your accelerated schedule may work out for both people in some circumstances. The people that take a year or two to complete often lose instructors in this hiring market. And not all young time builders are bad instructors. Some are really on top of their game. Or you can search for the older guy who has a day job and likes instructing and try to find a mutually agreeable schedule, but sometimes those instructors have days they can’t fly.

It’s mostly up to talking to instructors and figuring out the best plan for you.

I would recommend paying for an online ground course. It's cheaper than having to pay CFI hourly to explain stuff to you that you can study by yourself at your own pace from the comfort of your living room.

Before purchase, I compared 3 or 4 major online ground school courses (Gleim, Jeppensen, etc) and selected the one that gave me more stuff for money. (it's not just the online access, they sent me a flight bag, a cap, plotter, e6b, FAR/AIM and some other books. To me this was easier than hunting for each item separately)

Make sure - what other's said - that the CFI is not working toward his airline job. But also ask him about his future plans!
I asked my CFI if he was going for the airlines, and he said no. What he did not mention is that he was going to law school on the other side of the country and I only learnt about this 1 month prior to him leaving town! :(
I ended up having to look for another CFI, who is now helping me finish my preparation for the CK.

My school had only 2 C-172s but thanks to online scheduling I was able to book the planes months in advance. If you are not limited to flying on the weekends only, you should have no problem with scheduling. With my current CFI we start our lessons at the crack of dawn. Not only the planes are always available, but we are the only ones in the traffic pattern on chilly Sunday mornings ;)

Part 1: I would not. I think learning to fly a plane is already a big burden on your senses, I wouldn't make it harder on myself with ownership and all that comes with it. (insurance, inspections, etc.). At least not until you solo.

Part 2: I wanted to finish ground before starting flying but there was a point in the ground course when things started to make no sense. I needed the actual plane, the ability to touch, see, smell, play with it, in order for the knowledge to stick. That's when I started flying and continued with ground study at home.

Part 3: even if I was able to afford it money and time wise, I wouldn't fly more than 3 times a week. It's like going to the gym. You won't grow bigger muscles if you go every day. You need to rest. Flying every day would not benefit you. I think you need to give your brain a break to just rest and build new neural paths that's needed to master flying. Besides, what's the rush?

Good luck and welcome to POA!

I second checking that the CFI you're interested in using is going to be around long enough to get through at least your PPL, if not your IR as well. I went through three myself, before finally getting someone that was going to be around long enough. (And he turned out to be better than the rest.)

If you have already flown in both high and low wings, and know your preference, I'd go ahead and buy the plane from the start. I got mine about halfway through my PP training. Prior, I had dealt with all the usual problems of availability, and this was at a school with 4 - 172s, a DA-something, and a Warrior, and wasn't that busy. Rentals (at least the affordable ones) are always beat up pieces of junk that scare the hell out of you just looking at them. And even though they had 4 - 172s, each flew slightly different than the other, which makes learning and building confidence a bit more challenging, right when you don't need it to be. Once I got my own plane, and got cleared to solo in it and land at my home field, I flew it from my home field to my training field, and then back again after my lesson, thus getting 3 flights per training day. I'd practice what we did on the last lesson on my way to the new lesson, and then practice what we did in the new lesson on the way home. I flew Monday and Friday with my instructor, and Wed by myself, for practice. I spent hours in my plane, practicing everything I could think of, over and over again, until it became second nature. There were days when I burned through both tanks in a single day. I was cleared to land at at least 6 different airports within my training area, towered, untowered, and even a small training strip. The extra experience was wonderful. One of my cross-countries was even to go spend the day with a friend that I hadn't seen in 20 years, which would have cost me a fortune if renting. By the time I got my ticket, I had nearly 200 hrs in that plane. (Not because I needed it, but because I had the plane, and I could fly as often and as much as I wanted, and I did.) But the best thing was that once I got my ticket, I new that plane inside and out, and was completely comfortable in her, and immediately set out on weekly cross-country flights to build hours and prepare for my instrument training, which I completed two years later.

Don't get me wrong, I likely didn't save any money. And I probably fixed at least $10k worth of things before the end of my first year of ownership. (Although half of them weren't really airworthiness issues.) But by the time I got that ticket and was cut loose from my training area to explore the world, I was well past the magic 100-hour period during which most mistakes are made by new pilots. (Or that's what I've been told.)

I'd buy the plane.

I second checking that the CFI you're interested in using is going to be around long enough to get through at least your PPL, if not your IR as well. I went through three myself, before finally getting someone that was going to be around long enough. (And he turned out to be better than the rest.)

If you have already flown in both high and low wings, and know your preference, I'd go ahead and buy the plane from the start. I got mine about halfway through my PP training. Prior, I had dealt with all the usual problems of availability, and this was at a school with 4 - 172s, a DA-something, and a Warrior, and wasn't that busy. Rentals (at least the affordable ones) are always beat up pieces of junk that scare the hell out of you just looking at them. And even though they had 4 - 172s, each flew slightly different than the other, which makes learning and building confidence a bit more challenging, right when you don't need it to be. Once I got my own plane, and got cleared to solo in it and land at my home field, I flew it from my home field to my training field, and then back again after my lesson, thus getting 3 flights per training day. I'd practice what we did on the last lesson on my way to the new lesson, and then practice what we did in the new lesson on the way home. I flew Monday and Friday with my instructor, and Wed by myself, for practice. I spent hours in my plane, practicing everything I could think of, over and over again, until it became second nature. There were days when I burned through both tanks in a single day. I was cleared to land at at least 6 different airports within my training area, towered, untowered, and even a small training strip. The extra experience was wonderful. One of my cross-countries was even to go spend the day with a friend that I hadn't seen in 20 years, which would have cost me a fortune if renting. By the time I got my ticket, I had nearly 200 hrs in that plane. (Not because I needed it, but because I had the plane, and I could fly as often and as much as I wanted, and I did.) But the best thing was that once I got my ticket, I new that plane inside and out, and was completely comfortable in her, and immediately set out on weekly cross-country flights to build hours and prepare for my instrument training, which I completed two years later.

Don't get me wrong, I likely didn't save any money. And I probably fixed at least $10k worth of things before the end of my first year of ownership. (Although half of them weren't really airworthiness issues.) But by the time I got that ticket and was cut loose from my training area to explore the world, I was well past the magic 100-hour period during which most mistakes are made by new pilots. (Or that's what I've been told.)

I'd buy the plane.

This is kind of what i envisioned happening in my mind. Once i had solo clearance, i could start flying from the small field that is 5 minutes drive from my house, and then be able to hop up over the mountains into the salt lake valley and land at the main municipal airport in in the salt lake valley. Would probably be a 15 minute flight as opposed to an hour drive going around the mountain. That would save money in other ways such as wear and tear on my truck as well as time i could spend flying or with my family. But the main purpose of having my own plane was not to save cost per se, great if it did somehow, but mainly availability and familiarity were my main two thoughts regarding owning rather than renting. How did you find an instructor that was willing to instruct in your aircraft? Was it difficult to do?

Getting back to purchasing an airplane.

It is not unusual in your area to see density altitudes of 8,000 feet so a Cessna 152 may be a little short of performance.

I second doing an online course for your knowledge test. It will save time and money. I use King schools.

I have trained pilots at Provo and the Provo Tower was very nice to work with.

Salt Lake City may be a little challenging for training

Tooele Valley Airport and has under remarks “extensive flight training in the vicinity” although I have no experience there.

Unless there is a place in your back yard with a line of rental planes calling your name I would certainly go ahead and buy a plane if you're certain you are wanting to pursue the interest. I'm going to assume you've done a little GA flying as a passenger or discovery flight ?

One thing that stuck out to me is your budget of 75K. Trust me when I say the acquisition cost is only part of the cost and often a small portion. Since you're starting from scratch I think you could find a solid Cherokee 180 or 172 that will not only be an efficient trainer but also provide some decent utility once you get your ticket. With a 152 or cherokee 140 your payload will be limited (if that matters). Not long after my check ride my wife and I took another couple on some $100 burger runs. My cherokee 180 had a 1,000 useful load which allowed that. Not gonna happen in something less than 180 hp. I think you'll be able to find a PA28-180 that would fit your mission for well under 50K. I'd even shoot for 40K for a basic VFR PA28-180. Lots of exciting things happening in the avionics world so don't fret over not having a fancy panel.

Take the cash you saved on your purchase and buy some of the goodies that will help you along the way. A good ANR headset, an I-pad with a Stratus-2, a good yoke mount for the Ipad, etc... Granted the items other than the headset won't be needed the first 20 or so hours but will come in handy soon enough.

Lastly, don't look at obtaining a PPL as an "end goal" where you're figuring up the time and cost to get to that check ride. That's a terrible way of looking at it imho. Just consider the ongoing cost(s) and enjoy the ride! errr flight!

Good Luck!

Getting back to purchasing an airplane.

It is not unusual in your area to see density altitudes of 8,000 feet so a Cessna 152 may be a little short of performance.

I second doing an online course for your knowledge test. It will save time and money. I use King schools.

I have trained pilots at Provo and the Provo Tower was very nice to work with.

Salt Lake City may be a little challenging for training

Tooele Valley Airport and has under remarks “extensive flight training in the vicinity” although I have no experience there.

True, i dont know alot about which aircraft would be right, i plan to spend the next couple of months reading everything i can and asking alot of questions when they come up. Also checking with local flight schools and see what aircraft they use, and then researching that group for something that fits the bill.

I have noticed alot of cessna's over my house from what i can tell are practicing maneuvers all the time. Several times a week, but i cant find any info regarding any flight trainings out here. Which is why i asked the question i did, i was hoping there was a one stop shop secret site that i hadnt found that had profiles of local CFI's, their rates, experience, outlook, etc.

Unless there is a place in your back yard with a line of rental planes calling your name I would certainly go ahead and buy a plane if you're certain you are wanting to pursue the interest. I'm going to assume you've done a little GA flying as a passenger or discovery flight ?

One thing that stuck out to me is your budget of 75K. Trust me when I say the acquisition cost is only part of the cost and often a small portion. Since you're starting from scratch I think you could find a solid Cherokee 180 or 172 that will not only be an efficient trainer but also provide some decent utility once you get your ticket. With a 152 or cherokee 140 your payload will be limited (if that matters). Not long after my check ride my wife and I took another couple on some $100 burger runs. My cherokee 180 had a 1,000 useful load which allowed that. Not gonna happen in something less than 180 hp. I think you'll be able to find a PA28-180 that would fit your mission for well under 50K. I'd even shoot for 40K for a basic VFR PA28-180. Lots of exciting things happening in the avionics world so don't fret over not having a fancy panel.

Take the cash you saved on your purchase and buy some of the goodies that will help you along the way. A good ANR headset, an I-pad with a Stratus-2, a good yoke mount for the Ipad, etc... Granted the items other than the headset won't be needed the first 20 or so hours but will come in handy soon enough.

Lastly, don't look at obtaining a PPL as an "end goal" where you're figuring up the time and cost to get to that check ride. That's a terrible way of looking at it imho. Just consider the ongoing cost(s) and enjoy the ride! errr flight!

Good Luck!

I definitely wouldn't want to buy at the top of my budget as i understand things will come up and costs will ensue. The Cherokee 180 and the 172 are both airplanes that i have my eye on as a possibility.

Getting my PPL is definitely not an end goal for me. I would love to pursue a career in aviation if it fits in and sort of happens.Put it this way, I am in no way eager to leave my current occupation, but if an opportunity landed in my lap, or my general vicinity i wouldn't hesitate to jump on it. I would like to get my IFR and multi-engine in a steady progression.
Thank you!

I quickly scanned this thread, and I don't think anyone has mentioned the biggest question that must be answered before you go down this path: Are you medically qualified to fly? If you can't be issued, it's all for naught.

If you do not yet have a medical, consult with a good AME prior to filling out MedExpress, and for sure before you give the code to anyone. Go thru the form and make sure you have no big issues that could result in denial or deferment. If you do have issues, there are some expert AMEs that specialize in difficult cases and know how to best proceed. These AMEs are your best bet to get issued.

Ahh good point, i did read the best first step is the medical. It would suck to spend money, possibly thousands and then find out i cant pass medical. From what i have read though, i would assume i am going to pass, but will still get that done before anything else financially happens. I haven't really been to the doctor for anything other than a yearly check up since i was a teenager. Never diagnosed with anything, rarely sick, etc. Heck, i haven't even broken a bone, knock on wood.

Ahh good point, i did read the best first step is the medical. It would suck to spend money, possibly thousands and then find out i cant pass medical. From what i have read though, i would assume i am going to pass, but will still get that done before anything else financially happens. I haven't really been to the doctor for anything other than a yearly check up since i was a teenager. Never diagnosed with anything, rarely sick, etc. Heck, i haven't even broken a bone, knock on wood.

Don't forget driving history, the FAA will search the NDR, specifically for DUI. If you've had none, you're in the clear on that point.

Don't forget driving history, the FAA will search the NDR, specifically for DUI. If you've had none, you're in the clear on that point.

Nope, squeaky clean background both criminally as well as driving. I have had several jobs that were dependent on such things. In retrospect, perhaps i have lived too boring a life to not have at least one blemish on the background... :cool:

[QUOTE="Jon Wymore, post: 2468252,

would assume i am going to pass, .[/QUOTE]

Jon you know about assume right?

Makes an ASS outa U and Me. ;)

This is kind of what i envisioned happening in my mind. Once i had solo clearance, i could start flying from the small field that is 5 minutes drive from my house, and then be able to hop up over the mountains into the salt lake valley and land at the main municipal airport in in the salt lake valley. Would probably be a 15 minute flight as opposed to an hour drive going around the mountain. That would save money in other ways such as wear and tear on my truck as well as time i could spend flying or with my family. But the main purpose of having my own plane was not to save cost per se, great if it did somehow, but mainly availability and familiarity were my main two thoughts regarding owning rather than renting. How did you find an instructor that was willing to instruct in your aircraft? Was it difficult to do?

Considering the potential for density altitudes there, and that you would have to fly over mountains, I'm not sure you'd be able to fly the plane back and forth for lessons. At the very least, you'd have to be pretty far along in your training before any CFI would sign you off for such flights. But, I'm not a CFI, so I don't really know. Maybe you can find someone in your area?

My case (as usual) was rather unique. When I started training, I had no intention of buying a plane. One day, while walking back to the FBO after discovering that our rental plane for the day had "issues", as we walked past an Archer for sale, he casually made the remark, "This one just had the price reduced. You should buy it, it's a sweet plane." One thing led to another, and a month later it was mine. The FBO that was training me was also the seller, and they carried the loan, so they really had little choice but to continue my training in my plane.

Probably not the best way to buy a plane, and I did pay for a few repairs later that I might have avoided with a little more due diligence.

You may have a bit of a hard time finding an instructor who will give a blanket solo endorsement for those flights.

You’re flying on their ticket every time you go up until you’ve passed your Private, so you’ll have to probably convince an instructor you’re VERY competent as a student to do that, and even then, you’ll probably be asked to check in with them for a weather and conditions check before each one.

I wouldn’t count on being able to do that. Not as Plan A anyway.

CFI, that's going to be a word of mouth thing, maybe someone on here can help, personally I don't know anyone in the area.

Also you should look into more useful planes too, maules, stinsons, PA-24s, RVs, Glasairs, etc.

Considering the potential for density altitudes there, and that you would have to fly over mountains, I'm not sure you'd be able to fly the plane back and forth for lessons. At the very least, you'd have to be pretty far along in your training before any CFI would sign you off for such flights. But, I'm not a CFI, so I don't really know. Maybe you can find someone in your area?

My case (as usual) was rather unique. When I started training, I had no intention of buying a plane. One day, while walking back to the FBO after discovering that our rental plane for the day had "issues", as we walked past an Archer for sale, he casually made the remark, "This one just had the price reduced. You should buy it, it's a sweet plane." One thing led to another, and a month later it was mine. The FBO that was training me was also the seller, and they carried the loan, so they really had little choice but to continue my training in my plane.

Probably not the best way to buy a plane, and I did pay for a few repairs later that I might have avoided with a little more due diligence.

Thank you for sharing, and i didn't think about that. There is probably a safer alternative route that takes me around the mountains that would be more reasonable, although it would add flight time. Not that i would complain about that :). All this aside, it would totally depend on the CFI, so before i planned on purchasing an aircraft, i would speak to 3 or 4 instructors in my area, at some flight schools even and see what i could expect as a reasonable early solo.

CFI, that's going to be a word of mouth thing, maybe someone on here can help, personally I don't know anyone in the area.

Also you should look into more useful planes too, maules, stinsons, PA-24s, RVs, Glasairs, etc.

Definitely, i haven't looked much into specific planes yet, i wanted to make sure i wasn't barking up the wrong tree entirely before i put in a ton of legwork. Now that i know it is a reasonable thing to purchase an aircraft to use for training, i will start looking into the specific kind of aircraft based on my needs. My first thought was a lightly used LSA like a Flight Design CT, a 152 came to mind due to cost of purchase and ownership, but as people have pointed out, with my higher altitude i will probably want something with a little more as far as high altitude performance. Maybe a 172 or something similar. I am sure there are pages of topics of the best first airplanes, and i don't want this thread to turn into another one if i can avoid it, but my basic thought would be a 2 or 4 seater, with enough usefull load to take my wife and 2 kids up for short flights, maybe an hour or two, so not necessarily needing a full tank plus pax. Then if i had no pax, i could still do a decent cross country for fun, or work, or whatever

Back