Finding a canard to try on for size

Morne

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Morne
I've heard lots of tales about the Vari-EZ and Long-EZ being tight for bigger pilots. I'm 6' 2" and currently weigh just under 210 pounds (down a LOT from what I was, but that's for another thread). Does anyone have one of these canard planes that I could "try on for size"? Ideally, it'd be fun to fly a little bit, too, but at a minimum I want to know if I can even fit in the thing without crisco and a running start...

Figure anywhere in OH, PA, western NY, IN, IL, MI (not UP), KY, TN, WV or VA would be fine. I'll fly my 182 to you and would be glad to trade stick time in your canard for stick time in my bird.

I've heard lots of tales about the Vari-EZ and Long-EZ being tight for bigger pilots. I'm 6' 2" and currently weigh just under 210 pounds (down a LOT from what I was, but that's for another thread). Does anyone have one of these canard planes that I could "try on for size"? Ideally, it'd be fun to fly a little bit, too, but at a minimum I want to know if I can even fit in the thing without crisco and a running start...

Figure anywhere in OH, PA, western NY, IN, IL, MI (not UP), KY, TN, WV or VA would be fine. I'll fly my 182 to you and would be glad to trade stick time in your canard for stick time in my bird.
Find one for sale, go see if you fit.

I would suggest the Cozy, they are two wide. like this

http://www.barnstormers.com/classified_814384_Cozy+III+Plus.html

Last edited:
I am 6' 2", 34" inseam and typically run between 190-200lbs. Have flown Long-EZ's and the Cozy III, front seat of a Long-EZ or Cozy will be fine, back seat is OK for up to 90 minutes, maybe 2 hrs at our size.

If you are serious you should contact David Orr (call-sign Beagle) at http://canardfinder.com/. Beagle keeps an accurate listing of all existing planes that are or might be for sale, including projects - he does charge a finders fee if you buy something he helped you find but it is reasonable and his contacts and time-in-type are invaluable.

He should also be able to put you in contact with canard fliers in your local area who will show you the type, let you sit in it, maybe fly with them as well.

David is good people as are most of the Canard types.

Good luck!

'Gimp

I am 6' 2", 34" inseam and typically run between 190-200lbs. Have flown Long-EZ's and the Cozy III, front seat of a Long-EZ or Cozy will be fine, back seat is OK for up to 90 minutes, maybe 2 hrs at our size.

If you are serious you should contact David Orr (call-sign Beagle) at http://canardfinder.com/. Beagle keeps an accurate listing of all existing planes that are or might be for sale, including projects - he does charge a finders fee if you buy something he helped you find but it is reasonable and his contacts and time-in-type are invaluable.

He should also be able to put you in contact with canard fliers in your local area who will show you the type, let you sit in it, maybe fly with them as well.

David is good people as are most of the Canard types.

Good luck!

'Gimp

Google David and find out what people really think of him :eek:

Google David and find out what people really think of him :eek:
I can't speak to anything on the net from others, although FWIW the first 3 pages of Google results seemed to reflect my own, positive experience.

I flew with David a few years ago in an award winning 320 powered Long, attended Golden State Airshow with him, and had several in-depth type discussions (he stayed with me in San Jose before we headed up to Yuba/Marysville).

I ended up not pursuing a canard (based in large part on how my artificial leg got stuck in the cockpit during an emergency egress exercise) - and my current interest in competition aerobatics wouldn't be a fit for canards, but I have no complaints and would recommend him as a resource.

'Gimp

Back