Find this tool

Let'sgoflying!

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Taylor
16F76CE4-6B43-4879-B38C-6A459325771A.jpeg Do the selector knobs on avionics have a standard size allen screw to tighten them onto the stem/capstan or whatever comes out the front of a radio?
We have a knob on a Honeywell(?) xponder that is seeking its freedom; it is so small I can’t even tell if it’s a torx or hex or what.

Hi,

Unfortunately the drive socket of the screw is not in focus or there is camera movement blur which is spoiling the image.

If you can get some light on to the face of the screw it might help.

I have done some simple image processing with Windows photo Gallery which suggests it is a hexagonal lobed drive like a torx (or even a Bristol, which I had never heard of) and not a pure hex.

Your friendly local computer/phone fixit shop will likely have a selection of tiny torx.

Attachments

• process-16F76CE4-6B43-4879-B38C-6A459325771A.jpeg
    process-16F76CE4-6B43-4879-B38C-6A459325771A.jpeg
    18 KB · Views: 28
It is more likely a .050 in hex key (routinely avail) or a Bristol spline key. I have not seen spline keys for 40 years though but they really take torque better than hex keys. I have a set of the small sizes if you PM yr mail address.

IBM used to looooooooooooove Bristol set screws. Those and Belleville washers, but I digress. I used to have a complete set or two if Bristol wrenches, but they're long gone.

I keep a set of Craftsman small ball-tip hex wrenches in my tool box. Haven't found a knob yet I couldn't carefully tighten with them. The problem is that some ham-handed folks get entirely too aggressive with them and they round those little set screws out so that nothing fits.

Back