Find Airports with Grant Assurances?

PW_Plack

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Paul Plack
I'm coming up empty on Google. Is there a list somewhere of airports which are bound by FAA grant assurances, with information on what the restrictions are?

My local group is looking into establishing a shared club hangar, and most nearby airports with grant assurances seem locked into restrictions on how hangars can be shared by non-commercial entities. We could look at remote, private strips, but we don't want to miss opportunities closer to population centers.

I'm coming up empty on Google. Is there a list somewhere of airports which are bound by FAA grant assurances, with information on what the restrictions are?

My local group is looking into establishing a shared club hangar, and most nearby airports with grant assurances seem locked into restrictions on how hangars can be shared by non-commercial entities. We could look at remote, private strips, but we don't want to miss opportunities closer to population centers.

Contact the ADO (Airport Districts Office) of the FAA in your region. Also if your state has an Aeronautics Dept. is also another good source.

Also contact AOPA and ask for assistance.

Form an LLC owned by both clubs. Annual profit $2 split by the clubs.

If you just want to check whether specific airports have grant assurance, surplus property, etc. restrictions, search for them at:

http://www.gcr1.com/5010WEB/

The field "NPIAS/Federal Agreement" in the result will have a code, the meaning of which is documented at http://www.faa.gov/airports/airport_safety/airportdata_5010/nfdcfacilitiesdictionary.cfm. If the any of the letters G, P, R, S, V, X, or Z appear there, you probably have federal restrictions to deal with.

If you really want a list showing this data for all airports in the country, you can download it in spreadsheet form from http://www.faa.gov/airports/airport_safety/airportdata_5010/.

If you just want to check whether specific airports have grant assurance, surplus property, etc. restrictions, search for them at:

http://www.gcr1.com/5010WEB/

The field "NPIAS/Federal Agreement" in the result will have a code, the meaning of which is documented at http://www.faa.gov/airports/airport_safety/airportdata_5010/nfdcfacilitiesdictionary.cfm. If the any of the letters G, P, R, S, V, X, or Z appear there, you probably have federal restrictions to deal with.

If you really want a list showing this data for all airports in the country, you can download it in spreadsheet form from http://www.faa.gov/airports/airport_safety/airportdata_5010/.

That's a good start, although not all NPIAS airports are federally obligated (i.e. they aren't surplus property and haven't taken a grant).

To see the actual agreement they signed, you would have to file a FOIA with the FAA to get a copy of the signed grant agreement. You don't need to do that though, the assurances they agree to are standardized and can be viewed here: http://www.faa.gov/airports/aip/grant_assurances/

What exactly are you proposing?

That's a good start, although not all NPIAS airports are federally obligated (i.e. they aren't surplus property and haven't taken a grant).

That's why it's "NPIAS/Federal Agreement". The codes mean stuff. Read the links. :thumbsup:

Paul, you can download the whole darn database if you want... Look around where that dictionary link is. I've found it quite fascinating to poke around in, if you have the right tool.

Guys, thanks for the tips. To be clear, we're not proposing to share a hangar with another organization, just to share one among our own members.

It's easy to get three gyroplanes in a T-hangar, but apparently much harder to find a landlord who allows it.

"It's easy to get three gyroplanes in a T-hangar, but apparently much harder to find a landlord who allows it. "

Hmmm. Some information seems to be lacking here.
Cripes, my local county airport Tee's even hold boats and furniture and cars. (and yes, it has taken every federal dollar it can get ahold of)

Guys, thanks for the tips. To be clear, we're not proposing to share a hangar with another organization, just to share one among our own members.

It's easy to get three gyroplanes in a T-hangar, but apparently much harder to find a landlord who allows it.

I fail to see how allowing the storage of three gyro planes in a T-hangar would violate their grant assurances. Are we talking flyable aircraft or are you storing parts and pieces of aircraft? What's the airport's concern?

I fail to see how allowing the storage of three gyro planes in a T-hangar would violate their grant assurances...

The Salt Lake City code (covering SLC International and the two GA reliever airports) deals with FAA provisions requiring commercial operators to support airport maintenance by classifying any housing of aircraft not owned by the hangar lessee as constituting a commercial operation. It appears to be all about protection of existing FBOs' hangar rent business. The two FBOs on the field (U42) pay gas taxes to the city and otherwise help fund upkeep of the airport.

There's an exception for flying clubs, but to qualify the housed aircraft must all be owned by an LLC, or all owners' names must appear on the titles of all aircraft if it's an informal association.

I looked into actually establishing a small, non-profit FBO serving owners of small experimentals and selling unleaded fuel, currently unavailable on the airport. But to meet the standard of an FBO requires facilities to service jets, 40-hour/week staffing by at least three people including a mechanic and flight instructor, provision of a public telephone, restrooms, and a bunch of other criteria to keep little guys from nibbling at the heels of the big FBOs.

(I have a new perspective now when I look up at the "Millionair" sign.)

There are airports in Utah with less restrictive terms, including some which allow low-level commercial activity without going all the way to FBO, but they're well outside the metro area.

I think that you are dealing with airport commission/authority rules using grant assurances as an excuse. I'm not aware of how any of the grant assurances would prohibit what you are proposing.

The Salt Lake City code (covering SLC International and the two GA reliever airports) deals with FAA provisions requiring commercial operators to support airport maintenance by classifying any housing of aircraft not owned by the hangar lessee as constituting a commercial operation. It appears to be all about protection of existing FBOs' hangar rent business. The two FBOs on the field (U42) pay gas taxes to the city and otherwise help fund upkeep of the airport.

There's an exception for flying clubs, but to qualify the housed aircraft must all be owned by an LLC, or all owners' names must appear on the titles of all aircraft if it's an informal association.

I looked into actually establishing a small, non-profit FBO serving owners of small experimentals and selling unleaded fuel, currently unavailable on the airport. But to meet the standard of an FBO requires facilities to service jets, 40-hour/week staffing by at least three people including a mechanic and flight instructor, provision of a public telephone, restrooms, and a bunch of other criteria to keep little guys from nibbling at the heels of the big FBOs.

(I have a new perspective now when I look up at the "Millionair" sign.)

There are airports in Utah with less restrictive terms, including some which allow low-level commercial activity without going all the way to FBO, but they're well outside the metro area.

I would suggest you make a call to the Denver AIrports District Office (http://www.faa.gov/airports/northwest_mountain/about_airports/contact_information/denver/) and run the situation by them. The airport may be denying legitimate aeronautical access.

Back