Finances are a go for training

Mrummler

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
MikeR
I am finally in a position financially where I can start lessons. :cornut:
The problem now is, we are entering the travel season at work and starting after July 4th I won't know from one week to the next if I will be on the road and where I might be. Usually works where I will be on the road for a few days then home then back out. It will go like this till the end of August.
I am thinking I should hold off then till this fall to get started. I don't want to get in a lesson then have it be 2 weeks till I have the time for another. Right thinking?
Any sugestions for what to do till then so I can get a jump on things? I have seen some of the materials available from Sporty's, King, and Jeppesen. Are any of these worth investing in?
I am really looking forward to getting started. Part of the travel is in my boss's plane and he is always more then willing to share information. I have learned a bunch in the last couple of years flying with him.

Thank You.

I am finally in a position financially where I can start lessons. :cornut:
The problem now is, we are entering the travel season at work and starting after July 4th I won't know from one week to the next if I will be on the road and where I might be. Usually works where I will be on the road for a few days then home then back out. It will go like this till the end of August.
I am thinking I should hold off then till this fall to get started. I don't want to get in a lesson then have it be 2 weeks till I have the time for another. Right thinking?
Correct. Wait until you can consistently fly at least twice a week. Three times really is ideal.
Any sugestions for what to do till then so I can get a jump on things? I have seen some of the materials available from Sporty's, King, and Jeppesen. Are any of these worth investing in?
That really depends on how you learn. Some people really like videos, other people don't. Some people like books, other people don't. Truth be told most of the major pilot training packages are pretty good. Find one that works for you.

Keep in mind that some flight schools (especially 141) will have something they WANT you to use. Check with them first.

I don't want to get in a lesson then have it be 2 weeks till I have the time for another. Right thinking?
Absolutely. If you see that your schedule is going to be more open in a few months, wait. In a perfect world you would fly every day or two without any long gaps. In reality you will probably have holds and snags aplenty just from weather and all the other real world issues that crop up, but why add more?

The main thing you should consider buying is a logbook. $10 or so.

You will need a headset, maybe a small bag that will fit your headset and some pens/logbook/etc, a fuel sampler, e6b, plotter, and so on eventually, but those can wait until you are flying. Expect to pay $100 on up for the headset and around $$50 for the rest.

What you should do... strictly my opinion mind you:

1) Start checking out flight schools and instructors. They are not all the same. Talk to other students, get recommendations...you'll be spending a lot of money and it can have a big impact on your health (mental) and wellbeing (when your engine fails 200 hours from now and your training becomes more than academic) so be picky.

2) Get/read the FAA publications:
http://www.faa.gov/library/manuals/aircraft/airplane_handbook/
http://www.faa.gov/library/manuals/aviation/pilot_handbook/
http://www.faa.gov/library/manuals/aviation/media/faa-h-8083-27a.pdf
etc... They are available free as PDFs or you can buy printed copies/ebooks.

Start with those before you spend money on books. I've read the Jeppesen, Kershner, Machado, and Gleim books and honestly the FAA books are just as good IMO.

3) Consider an on-line ground school course. That way you can get the ground portion out of the way.

4) Make sure you can pass a medical, and then do so. If you have doubts, hold off/consult with an expert before you get rejected.

5) If you run out of everything else, read "Stick and Rudder" ... I have no hope of spelling the author's name right but it's good.

That's my take anyway... :)

Last edited:
You may want to hold off on the ground school stuff until after a couple lessons. I know I was anxious to get it done and so I studied (watched the King Schools) took the test and passed...but could've done alot better if I waited and had real life experience with the xc planning. The examples are all fine and good but it sinks in better (for me) to have real life. Didn't understand "Tracking VOR's" until I was in the airplane really doing it.

I agree with Jesse. Where are you located as we may be able to introduce you to some local POAers who can help you along your way or recommend a good CFI.

By the way welcome to POA

If you only have time to read one book, start with the Airplane Flying Handbook's first six or so chapters and try to read them very carefully. Then start plowing through the Pilot's Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge.

Ryan

I am in Sparta, MI
Just north of Grand Rapids.
The airport where the flight school I am looking at is 8D4.

Correct. Wait until you can consistently fly at least twice a week. Three times really is ideal.

I can do that. I have four hours open on Saturday! ;)

Three one hour flights with a stop-and go, and a pee break. ;)

Haha. Just lamenting that finding enough time during a typical person's week and then throwing in weather cancellations during those types of seasons... Really can kick the average person's real-world schedule square in the butt.

Tell any charitable or volunteer organizations that they won't see you for a while, explain to family that if the weather's good, you'll be at the airport, get used to eating on the run. Church is now held in the hangar. (Yes!)

Also get used to the CFI having too much to do, too. Most are busy if they're good and full-time, and worse if they have a day job and are good at it. Scheduling both of your paths to be star-crossed can be a lesson in patience and futility.

If you carry a cell phone and are officially on-call, be prepared to be a bribing little ninja with your calendar. LOL.

Back