Finally!

ChrisK

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Toph
Checkride passed, and a mere 2 hours before storms rolled in. 1.1 hours total. Passed with about 75 hours as a student (that includes many discontinuances / cancelled rides and some cross country signoffs for places I just wanted to go). I started training Aug 7th of last year. Will follow up with a ride narrative later!

Excellent news! Congrats. We'll be watching for you in the skies.
- Russ

Congratulations Pilot...

I am in the final stages of preparation to take my PPL check ride in mid September.
I look forward to reading about you're check ride experience.

Congratulations... and welcome to the club! tell us about your plans for your first ride!

Right.

To start, i'm not entirely happy about the weather. There is a line of storms off to the west, in the route of the planned XC. They seem to be moving north and we will terminate well before we approach these storms, and while visibility in the area is reading P6, it sure looks like it is hovering around 5 to us in the air.

During the last checkride (that was discontinued due to a bad, bad mag drop) I had *cough* neglected to unchock the aircraft after getting in. I showed him this time. I didn't use chocks! :)

I do my runup. Mind, the plane I elected to use failed a mag check for a checkride with the same examiner just two days before! Knowing that the "plugs were cleaned up" yesterday, I took a chance. It is a sad comment on the maintenance of my club that we were both shocked when the aircraft hummed through the runup.

"Our first takeoff will be short field," my DPE says. I taxi close to the end of the displaced threshold. "I really want to avoid the absolute end of the runway - I'm afraid there are rocks over here!" "Well," he said, "by the end of the summer this will be a grass field anyway".

Brakes on, power in, leaned a bit for some extra RPMs.

2100. Hrm. I don't like that one bit. I comment to the DPE, who agrees, and he said that when he checked the compressions in the log they only hit 50. Well, that's a portent if I ever heard one.

Release brakes, and roll...roll...roll.........oh look airspeed that took awhile... roll some more... order out for chinese... FINALLY hit Vr for short field and take 'er up. By up I mean sort of up. 300fpm with a 960 DA off of a 1210' field with cool temps. WTF.

So, on course for the XC. I was able to hit my checkpoints no problem but I completely forgot to start my watch. He berated me for that during the debrief but also said "EVERYONE forgets to start their stopwatch". At least I had one tied to my bag and was able to show him that I had THOUGHT of it ahead of time. Hit the first checkpoint and pointed at the second one in the distance and my door flew open.

Let me back up 7 minutes. This particular aircraft has no pilot side shoulder harness. It disappeared suddenly about 2 months ago. I posted a "HAVE YOU SEEN" sign at the airport (along with a terse squawk) but it has not reappeared.

Open doors are no big deal and it has happened before but of course I turned to the examiner calmly and said in a mild flat voice, "So, is this your planned distraction?" Chuckle and close the door. He says "ok then clearing turns and we'll do a steep turn to the RIGHT so you don't fall out."

Steep turns and slow flight were without incident. My power off stall was a tad cross controlled but I recovered nicely. Remember that cross controlled thing. It'll come up later. Unusual attitudes and hood work were pretty easy. Off with the vibans!

He points at a couple of landmarks to help me orient myself after unhooding. We are on course to fly across our departure airport about 600' above TPA and he asks me to fly to an airport about 2 miles past it to do landings. I cross my airport at the departure end and call the target airport for an advisory. Start my descent as soon as I cross my home airport.

I made a small mistake here, where i somehow got my cardinal directions backwards and claimed I was going to be entering downwind. Shake my head and call back that I'm entering crosswind (no one in the pattern). First landing was a soft field with a soft field takeoff. Second was a short field with a go-around (never ended up actually doing a short field, but my setup was pretty darn good). Reduce power for a no-flaps landing and then abeam the numbers he said "nevermind your flaps work now but you have no engine put it down." I'm at TPA abeam the numbers so I put 10 degrees of flaps in. He clearly didn't like that, but I did a normalish power off approach. Since he grumbled about the flaps I delayed putting the second notch in and lost some altitude with a slip, dropped them all, and landed "in a huff" (but a perfectly good landing). He requested another short soft field (the plane was so underpowered it was hard for me to do a decided transition into ground effect - the second time I did a better job) and back to my home airport we went.

I couldn't raise anyone on unicom so I flew past the windsock and landed normally.

During the debrief, the first thing he said was that for some reason I had light pressure on the left rudder almost the entire time. I think I was so tense during the checkride that I didn't even notice, and he seemed to accept that, but he cautioned that I should focus on my feet and rudder control during future flights.

His second issue was that I flew buttonhook patterns (almost all power off). He wants me to make sure I raise the wing for a second or so on base to make sure I'm not about to get run over. It was a fair point. During most of my training my instructor wanted me to do power off landings and he stressed a continuous turn to the numbers from downwind. I guess with my nerves I went back to that (except for my short field, which was square).

And that was about it. His main comment was that I seemed to have good positive control of the airplane during all aspects of flight, and that I was a safe and proficient pilot.

Last edited:
Checkride passed, and a mere 2 hours before storms rolled in. 1.1 hours total. Passed with about 75 hours as a student (that includes many discontinuances / cancelled rides and some cross country signoffs for places I just wanted to go). I started training Aug 7th of last year. Will follow up with a ride narrative later!

Well, congratulations!!!

Nice job passing the check ride and welcome to the less than 1 percenters who are active pilots! Enjoy the new privellages your PPL gives you.

Congrats Chris. The number of hours you had when you passed are irrelevant, it is that you passed the check.

Congratulations!!!! Enjoy your privileges.

As a side question, anyone wonder if the plane was meeting static RPM and should have been classified un-airworthy?

Well done and thanks for the lol on the write up.

Congratulations!!!! Enjoy your privileges.

As a side question, anyone wonder if the plane was meeting static RPM and should have been classified un-airworthy?

I asked the IA (who also owns the airport and flight school) and he responded that 2100 was acceptable static RPM. In my experience it is low, even for that airplane.

Nice write up. I don't like your engine issues. Let someone else fly it until they have to park it off-airport "in a huff" sooner than later it sounds like.

Congratulations!

(Now see if you can find a place with better maintained equipment!)

thanks for taking the time for the detailed writeup - much appreciated. I try to get an idea of what the flight (and ground) test is like and summaries like yours are very helpful (besides the PTS text).

must be a great feeling to have completed it, congrats!!

Congrats. I agree, find a better plane to fly...

Congrats. I agree, find a better plane to fly...
Frankly now that I've been checked out in our 1979 Cessna 172N I'm WAY happier flying the 160HP 4 seater. I had some "first passenger" experiences though that I'll post in another thread =)

Sounds a lot like my ride 25+ years ago. Only after unhooding I get "you are lost: establish your position on the map and find your way back to the airport."

Anyways, enjoy your PP privileges and start getting some flying experiences. Rather than just bore holes in the sky around the home drome, plan some weekend adventures. When I got my PPL, I would grab a friend from work and we would meet at the airport on Saturday morning if the weather was cooperative and find somewhere on the map we hadn't been before. If they had an on-airport restaurant (they almost all did in the olde days) then all the better. Anything within 2 hours was game, a radius of maybe 200 nautical miles. You will learn a lot about weather, managing fuel and flight plans, diverting, and unanticipated situations. All good stuff, and you will get to see a lot of the surrounding region. You will never cease to be amazed at the travel utility of light aircraft: Wanna have lunch at Keene Valley today and be back by mid-afternoon? No problem! Wanna explore the National Mall in Washington DC today and come back tomorrow? Sure. Do THAT in a car.

Enjoy.

Sounds a lot like my ride 25+ years ago. Only after unhooding I get "you are lost: establish your position on the map and find your way back to the airport."

You know we were so darn close to the obvious landmarks that I wish he WOULD have done that! :)

It was a 1978 Cessna 152 II.

Can't open the TCDS to confirm but I suspect that the aircraft might just be unairworthy with 2100 on the static. Once I can connect to the RGL I can find out for sure.

Can't open the TCDS to confirm but I suspect that the aircraft might just be unairworthy with 2100 on the static. Once I can connect to the RGL I can find out for sure.

I can tell you that the other one i flew today hit 2400 leaned during a static run up, and lept off the ground. I watched the 2100 airplane this morning skim the trees on departure and winced.

2100 is way low but I've seen many 152's with inaccurate tach's

Back