Finally!!!

etsisk

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
iYiYi
After all this effort getting the ppl, and finding a plane, and getting checked out ...

I just had my FIRST solo flight that was JUST FOR FUN!!! I flew from KRDU (Raleigh-Durham, NC) to KCRE (Grand Strand, North Myrtle Beach, SC) to visit my sister - haven't seen her since Mom died in January, so it was time. Great flight - although it clouded up in Raleigh just as I was getting in the plane. I was worried that it was going to get below VFR mins, and when they turned me east after take-off, I hit rain, right off the bat. But that was short lived and it was sunshine (and a bit of haze) and smooth sailing until I got to the coast! I had to descend from 6500' to 4500' because the clouds were a bit lower than expected, but smooth flying was there to be had. Nary a bump, until I started letting down at North Myrtle - it was odd, just rocking and rolling for a minute or two, then eased up a lot and wasn't too bad. All in all, it was pretty great. And I get to do it in reverse tomorrow! :)

After all this effort getting the ppl, and finding a plane, and getting checked out ...

I just had my FIRST solo flight that was JUST FOR FUN!!!

<Snip>

All in all, it was pretty great. And I get to do it in reverse tomorrow! :)

Congrats Tom!! It's great isn't it?
I'm just a few more hours away from my checkride, and I can't wait to go somewhere .....alone, just for fun.

I flew (dual) IFR - NJ to Baltimore, this past weekend, and knocked out my Night-XC.and 3 hr IFR req's.

Visited an aunt that lives within walking distance of Martin State (KMTN). Haven't seen her in 3 years, and she's now 81. Will take her up next trip, as I'll have my PPL then.

We had a nice dinner at the "By the Docks" Restaurant
(Yeah, a Blatant Plug!) Prices, commensurate with quality.
Ask at the FBO, and the courtesy van will take you there, and back.
Their food, and service was excellent! I highly recommend it, to anyone going into Balt.

Return trip had us flt. planned to Modena,@ 5000' and ATC vectored us over Phila.,@ 2000' North, to Robbinsville, NJ, to avoid the heavies coming into KPHL.

What a breathtaking view at night!

Happy Skies!

Nice going, Tom.

Take some pics and remind us what the ocean looks like :)

-Rich

I just had my FIRST solo flight that was JUST FOR FUN!!! I flew from KRDU (Raleigh-Durham, NC) to KCRE (Grand Strand, North Myrtle Beach, SC) to visit my sister :)

Glad to see you in the air, Tom, and I really enjoyed our visit last year to the CRE area.

Yeah, it was great, Bill!

I came back today, and it was ALSO great! :) The weather wasn't - it was so dang hazy that I had to fly all the way back at 2500' (otherwise I could only see a small circle of ground!). But I was using both VOR's, setting them up consecutively so once I hit that first waypoint, the next VOR was set and waiting for me, and the final leg I had both of 'em (one on each end) set up. It got bumpy as I got near Raleigh (politicians!!) and I chose to not take 32 at RDU, so I got sent to Coventry a bit, but that just gave me a good ol' 15 mile final! :D Great landing (even if they WERE watching me...) and all in all, it was pretty cool across the board.

Hell yeah, Tom. Sounds like a fun trip (and rain only makes it sweeter because it washes the bugs off for ya!)

Sounds like you had a Good Time Tom, and nice nice X/c flight.
Dave G.

I came back today, and it was ALSO great! :) The weather wasn't - it was so dang hazy that I had to fly all the way back at 2500' (otherwise I could only see a small circle of ground!). But I was using both VOR's, setting them up consecutively so once I hit that first waypoint, the next VOR was set and waiting for me, and the final leg I had both of 'em (one on each end) set up. It got bumpy as I got near Raleigh (politicians!!) and I chose to not take 32 at RDU, so I got sent to Coventry a bit, but that just gave me a good ol' 15 mile final! :D Great landing (even if they WERE watching me...) and all in all, it was pretty cool across the board.
Sounds great, and also as if you're ready to go for that INSTRUMENT RATING!:yes::yes::yes:

You need to switch to a high wing if you want to see more of the ground Tom!:yes:

Congratulations. Looks like you had fun!!!

Sounds great, and also as if you're ready to go for that INSTRUMENT RATING!:yes::yes::yes:
Grant, that's already in the works - I'll start the instruction in June (the cfi is finishing up some folks before he is out of town for 6 weeks or so on training (he works at Flight Service). When he gets back, it's MY TIME!! :)

Back