Finally! Upgrade for the EX-500.

gismo

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
iGismo
On Monday I got an email from Avidyne announcing the release of a new software update for the EX-500. I called the avionics shop and ordered it the same day and they're installing it tomorrow. The two big improvements are the ability to update the DB from a USB flashdrive instead of the big clunky ZipDrive previously required plus the ability to display all the weather products that XM Wx broadcasts instead of just NEXRAD, METARs, and graphical SIG/AIRMETS and TFRs. Now I don't have to be jealous of the Garmin 396/496 owners weather wise.

I got the upgraded MFD back Friday and tried it out on the ground. It's still not all a 396 can be but it's much closer. The only TAFs available are from airports along your flight plan route (and possibly the specified alternate, didn't try that). Same for winds aloft and there's no graphical wind display, only text but I can live with that. The Cell movement and top altitude is graphical and looks pretty nice. I also haven't tried updating the DB via a flashdrive but it looks like I'll get the chance soon since the upgrade somehow reverted the DB currency to last February. Still no way to pan the image to see distant wx in detail though. I haven't received the bill yet but I expect about 1/2 AMU.

Back