Finally took my first Lesson!

WBBulldogs

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
NAAD
So I've recently come back from overseas and now have the funds and time to do what I've always wanted. I signed up for ground school which I have been going to and a few days ago I took my first lesson. My instructor told me that I would be overwhelmed. I thought maybe I might be different. I was wrong.

I felt very out of control with everything going on. I couldn't understand ATC, my heading was deviating (because of me) up to 10 degrees off course. During turns I would lose up to a 100ft in altitude. I just felt like I did horrible and could have done better. Maybe this is normal?

I did have a blast still getting used to controlling the plane with rudder pedals on the ground. Steering with my feet is gonna take some time getting use to. My coordinated turns were horrible I had a problem with constant rudder pressure while turning. I just hope I get better.

How did you do on your first driving lesson? or round of golf? Are you better now? Same thing will happen in the plane. Don't worry.

So I've recently come back from overseas and now have the funds and time to do what I've always wanted. I signed up for ground school which I have been going to and a few days ago I took my first lesson. My instructor told me that I would be overwhelmed. I thought maybe I might be different. I was wrong.

I felt very out of control with everything going on. I couldn't understand ATC, my heading was deviating (because of me) up to 10 degrees off course. During turns I would lose up to a 100ft in altitude. I just felt like I did horrible and could have done better. Maybe this is normal?

I did have a blast still getting used to controlling the plane with rudder pedals on the ground. Steering with my feet is gonna take some time getting use to. My coordinated turns were horrible I had a problem with constant rudder pressure while turning. I just hope I get better.

First of all...congrats on embarking on the journey!

Second of all...it's your first lesson, so getting overwhelmed is certainly understandable. While you'll get much better, 100' on altitude is within (well it is exactly) the limit for practical test standards - so I'd say that's not too shabby for your first stab at it. Keeping your course steady will come with time.

For now, just enjoy what you're learning, read a lot, fly often, and most of all, have fun!

Congrats on taking the leap into flying. I'll let you know that your experience feeling overwhelmed is totally normal. Just like anything else in the world you have to give yourself time to adjust to the new experiences. Over time your body will develop muscle memory for how much pressure to apply to the rudder in turns, how much to pull back during a turn to not lose that 100ft you said you lost. All that takes times but, from experience I can say you just began an awesome journey that continues to humble you and provide great experiences throughout.

Congratulations! Absolutely normal for first lessons. Note LESSONS...you will get better with practice. Enjoy!

I had the same discussion with a student yesterday who was only on her third lesson and expressed the same frustrations. In reality, she's doing fabulous and picking up the skills required at an above-average rate. But it's a new skill and any new skill takes time. She's a very accomplished musician. I asked her how many clarinet lessons did it take her to master the scales and play her first piece without error? From the expression on her face, I think she got it.

Welcome! All of that is normal for a first instructional flight. You will have time to learn all of it.

For learning to "hear" the radio, listen to Live ATC - http://www.liveatc.net/
Or get a scanner for the local area.
Here are some ideas: http://www.wikihow.com/Listen-to-Your-Local-Air-Traffic-Control
Have your instructor write a script so that you know what to expect. He should be able to do that.
You might try this CD, too. http://www.asa2fly.com/Communications-Trainer-Say-Again-Please-P264_product1.aspx

A 10 degree deviation could be caused by not finding the right landmark to aim for, or by misjudging the affect of side wind, or simply lack of experience. One thing that characterizes pilots is the ability to focus on the task at hand. You'll develop that over time.

Losing altitude in a turn is caused by losing vertical lift while the wings are no longer horizontal to the earth. It is natural. It is physics. So, to counteract the problem, you learn to either apply a little pressure to the yoke to pull the nose up to the horizon or to apply a small amount of power. Once again, it takes practice. When you pull the nose up to counteract that loss of lift, the airplane compensates by losing airspeed. (Nothing is free.) Losing airspeed can be a problem. Losing a little altitude is better than losing airspeed and not realizing it. Your instructor will help you with handling that, too.

As far as rudder control, you'll get the feel for that, too. Don't worry. It is all normal.

So, your comment that you think you can do better. Of course you will. One of these days, your instructor will see that you have it all under control and will let you fly solo. In the meantime, enjoy!

congrats!

and don't get discouraged. It takes time... you will get used to flying the airplane, you will learn how to understand ATC radio calls, you will learn the context. btw - one thing that helped me understand radio calls was an ANR headset.

Back