Finally, the long XC

Bill

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
This page intentionally left blank
The planets, planes, weather, and instructor finally lined up, and I knocked out my 250nm long IR XC Saturday.

Nothing real earth shaking, as I've been doing mini-XC's with a safety pilot for a while now. Left Chattanooga, flew up to Knoxville, shot ILS 23R to a touch and go, then continued on to London, KY. Shot VOR 06 circling, landing on the active, 24.

Interesting here, there was a dry cold front passing thru, and the surface winds were quite strong. This is the first approach I've shot with significant turb, and we got knocked around pretty good. Strangely, I though it was quite fun to work the controls to keep the plane on course and altitude during the approach.
Full stop for bio and re-fuel breaks.

Then, back to Chattanooga, where I shot NDB 20 circling, then landing on the active, 02.

Great day of flying, 4.2 total, about 4.0 simulated. With this, I'm about 6 hrs shy of the 40 simulated needed, so I asked Ray where I stand. "Your flying skills are good, time to start studying for the oral. I think a checkride 1st or 2nd week of November is reasonable."

So, we're very close.....

I can't wait to be able to see again when flying...

Bill Jennings said:
I can't wait to be able to see again when flying...

Congrats!

I know what you mean, when I started on my commercial after my instruments it was harder to get my head back away from the instruments than I thought it should be.

smigaldi said:
Congrats!

I know what you mean, when I started on my commercial after my instruments it was harder to get my head back away from the instruments than I thought it should be.

I've found myself in that situation before. Solution? Fly about 5 hours in something with little more then a tach airspeed and altimeter.

Back