Finally taking that Mission flight

Jaybird180

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Jaybird180
Several of my started threads when I initially joined PoA are about my taking a ~500nm trip and looking for the right airplane to do the trip in.

Since that time, I've purchased a share of an airplane and added a member to my family.

The time has arrived, and I've got the dates planned to do this trip just before Veteran's Day. Unfortunately, I won't be flying this route as frequently as I thought when I conjured buying an airplane (as history bears this out). Truth is, in the last year my dad developed a medical condition and I perceive that he's not telling me the true nature of his condition.

I'm going to request the option at KATL just to put it in my logbook and then full stop at KPDK and stop by to visit my dad. I don't plan to tell him that I'm coming so as to eliminate any scheduling issues if I run into weather. I will stay about a day, giving myself plenty time to come back home and if time is sufficient, make a few stops along the way - shame too, cause I should have good tailwinds traveling in a NE direction this time of year.

I'm on the fence about 3 options:
  1. Do the flight solo
  2. Invite my wife along for the trip
  3. Invite another pilot along for the trip
Pros/Cons
1- I can log my CPL 250nm solo XC requirement, whenever I decide to tackle that; I get that sense of accomplishment like I had when I did my student solo XC; I'll likely get bored (might be a good thing)

2- Break up the monotony; We can make an adventure of the return trip. OTOH, I don't think she is looking forward to being in an airplane that long. She offered to meet me there via Southwest (in that case, it's back to option 1 or 3). She claims that she's up for the trip.

3- It could be fun; If our schedules/ purposes magically coincide (wink, wink), then it could be a way of reducing costs; Our new online scheduler has a shared flight option, I've never used it and really don't know the other pilots in our club. My circle of aviation friends outside the club is pretty small. There is another pilot I've flown with that just likes to fly and I would be OK with being in a small airplane with him for a couple days, but he'd most likely want to fly in his Skylane instead (and I think we'd be at or over the Fwd CG limit in my Skyhawk anyhow). Problem here is that he's a CFII and I'd sacrifice some of the sense of accomplishment. OTOH, I could get some Wx experience.

Looking for things I haven't considered to help me overthink and make this decision more complex than it should be
:lol:

Last edited:
Jump in the aircraft ,and give it a go. A great confidence builder. Just watch the weather,unless you like the inside of a hotel room ,by yourself.

You're going to request the option at the world's busiest airport?

I wouldn't expect a very friendly response to that. And I would expect a hefty landing fee.

You're going to request the option at the world's busiest airport?

I wouldn't expect a very friendly response to that. And I would expect a hefty landing fee.

ATL landing Fee (for just landing- no ramp) is only $1.52 per 1000lb landing weight. It is the parking fee that is quite high.

But I agree, he isn't likely to get a warm southern welcome with that request.

When are you coming? Would you like to meet another POA'er?

There is another pilot I've flown with that just likes to fly and I would be OK with being in a small airplane with him for a couple days, but he'd most likely want to fly in his Skylane instead

Hey, I know a guy with a Skylane. Sadly he'll be down in the Outer Banks over the Veterans day holiday.

Problem here is that he's a CFII and I'd sacrifice some of the sense of accomplishment. OTOH, I could get some Wx experience.

Have you been working on your instrument rating?

I'm going to request the option at KATL just to put it in my logbook and then full stop at KPDK and stop by to visit my dad.

Requesting the option is not an option. From the A/FD:

ALL RYS, TOUCH AND GO OPERATIONS, LOW APPROACHES, AND PRACTICE INSTRUMENT APPROACHES NOT PERMITTED.

Pretty much it's land and taxi to the FBO. Speaking from experience, getting an ATL stamp in your logbook is not that big of a deal. It just costs some $$ and is not particularly convienent for anyone on the airport surfaces. There's a reason all those G-Vs and Citations go to FTY and PDK.

Based on multiple changes, it appears that I'm doing the flight solo.

I am looking for someone who can tell me what's the best way to get KATL in my logbook. I may even be open to Oh-dark thirty Ops. Just to do it.

PDK is closest to my destination.

Have flown into ATL with the lancair, keep your speed up, plan to park at Atlantic on the north side. I stayed overnight, it wasn't particularly pricey.

Have flown into ATL with the lancair, keep your speed up, plan to park at Atlantic on the north side. I stayed overnight, it wasn't particularly pricey.

When was this and how much?
How was the departure? Did they make you wait an ungodly amount of time?

It doesn't sound like you've yet transitioned away from the psychology of a renter. The purpose of owning an airplane is to eliminate these mental gymnastics. If you want to go see your dad, get in the airplane and go.

Very few of our flying trips are conceived more than 24 hours before departure. Airplanes are fast and at your disposal, they don't require the planning for the time committment of a car trip or the inconvenience of an airline trip.

Well, this one is in the bag (logbook). It may take me awhile, but I even have video and will likely post it on YouTube. It was very fun and actually whet my and my wife's appetites for more flying.

Check that one off. KATL, DONE!

BTW, controllers on the way down kept asking me to confirm destination (LoL). Atlanta Approach reiterated, no TnG, no low approach, no Student pilots and asked me to confirm full stop. (Hilarious).

The trip was CAVU both directions. Couldn't have been better weather-wise.

All the cheapazz pilots really want to know is how much it cost you :)

All the cheapazz pilots really want to know is how much it cost you :)

Surprisingly, not as much as I thought. My fuel stops were as such:

Home Base- W00 (started with fuel somewhere between tabs and full) Left Saturday, wheels up about 11:15a
Refueled at KPHF - Top off, few fees
Refueled at KBUY - Top off
Refueled at KATL - Top off, surprisingly few fees
Refueled at KPHF -Top off, few fees
Home base -W00 Landed with fuel just above tabs, landing Monday about 6:00p

These costs are based on what I swiped my credit card for a total of $460.31
Rental Car at Alamo of $87.30 and $11.00 car gas

Unfortunately, we have an issue to resolve with Landmark Atlanta regarding the rental car. Alamo says they didn't get it back and want to charge us extra day and $50 service fee. We're working that out, so I don't count the cost until all the books are closed on that issue.

I also transposed some numbers in logging the time on the aircraft, so one of my partners is going to relay those numbers to me later this afternoon. I put about 11.1-11.8hrs on the Hobbs and not sure what I put on the tach, but I ran it at 75% power except for enroute climb. You can compare your costs based on those figures.

[edit: it was 11.4 hobbs and 10.7 tach time]

One of the best parts for me, what running the airplane by the book regarding climbing at 85Kts IAS, something I've never done before - not much climbing opportunity round these parts. I ran 6,500 and 7,500MSL. ATC let me keep my altitude except for the way back in the KCLT B-space. They asked me to descent to 6,000, then I got cleared back up to 7,500.

Last edited:
Very sweet!
I fky out if KGVL and would love to land at KATL.
Talk about a major boost in confidence!

Surprisingly, not as much as I thought. My fuel stops were as such:

Home Base- W00 (started with fuel somewhere between tabs and full) Left Saturday, wheels up about 11:15a
Refueled at KPHF - Top off, few fees
Refueled at KBUY - Top off
Refueled at KATL - Top off, surprisingly few fees
Refueled at KPHF -Top off, few fees
Home base -W00 Landed with fuel just above tabs, landing Monday about 6:00p

These costs are based on what I swiped my credit card for a total of $460.31
Rental Car at Alamo of $87.30 and $11.00 car gas

I meant landing fees, ramp fees, parking fees, etc. Most folks don't go into ATL on a skyhawk so there's not much to compare with on Airnav.

I meant landing fees, ramp fees, parking fees, etc. Most folks don't go into ATL on a skyhawk so there's not much to compare with on Airnav.

I bought fuel (at $8.95/Gal), so the total fees were around $11 bucks IIRC.
:yikes:

That must have been you taxiing out as I was preflighting 39M...

Back