Finally starting to feel like a pilot

Doug F

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
DougG
Got my sport cert in June after a bit over a year of training (weather got in the way of the checkride for 5 months of that time).

2 weeks ago I completed a long XC from GVL to DED and back. Total flight time each way was a bit over 4 hours with one pit stop half-way at AZE. While I used GPS in the plane and ForeFlight, I did dead reckoning/pilotage on the trip down and had that nailed. The flight required making go/no go decisions about weather before take off, altitude choice due to unexpected clouds during the flight, avoiding class D airspace, and flying into new airports with parachutes in the air. Coming back north, I had to stop at AZE for 3 hours due to a low cloud deck that finally moved high enough for me to be legal. The northbound landing at AZE involved some interesting cloud/altitude/decision making that all worked out. This trip also include my first passengers (my 88 year old mother and my sister) and I didn't scare either of them!

Today, I finally got the better of cross-wind landings. I tried doing a side slip all the way down on final and that was about a zillion times easier and cleaner than doing the crab and stab thing. 3 landings with between 5 and 9 knots cross-wind and eased her down on the upwind gear, dropped the downwind wheel, then the nose...damn I love it when a plan comes together!

The next big challenge is getting my significant other (has major issues with heights) into the plane and having her enjoy the flight.

My thanks to those of you in this forum who provided help, guidance, suggestions, and 'don't panic' advice.

I didn’t think a sport pilot could fly two passengers.

Whatcha flying??
With the desire to take ppl and not a person what amount of extra work would it be to work and upgrade to your ppl?

Sounds like you had quite an adventure!!

Regarding the mrs, I can tell you from experience pick short trip, smooth skies and great destination...and pills. My wife never takes meds for anything, until it’s time to fly, Xanax is the answer. She still worries, just doesn’t care about it. Not sedating.

Whenever I get that feeling I think of all the pilots way better than I’ll ever be who didn’t quite make it to retirement. Good to have a little self confidence, though.

Back