Finally some real talk about EVTOL

Jim K

Final Approach
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
Richard Digits
As usual Bertorelli brings the truth. I've been avoiding the NOVA "Great Electric Airplane Race" doc., but after watching this interview Paul did with the guy who made it, I think I'm going to watch it. They discuss the pie in the sky (no pun intended) promises made by those pushing UAM, as well as what some realistic advances might look like.

I like the thought of this technology in the future. Problem is, so far it’s a lot of talk and haven’t seen anyone demonstrate the performance numbers they’re claiming. Also, like stated in the vid, the infrastructure is going to be their major hurdle. Where are they going to come up with the pilots to fly this revolutionary change in air taxi transportation? Since they’re so easy to fly will the FAA come up with a new comm rating? What category will the aircraft be certified under? Lots of questions, many challenges await Joby, Lillium, Archer and others.

Regulatory issues aren't gonna stop that.
And even if eVTOL never developed we would still have directed energy weapons.

Nauga,
on the cutting room floor

I'm cautious about a man carrying eVTOL until one is demonstrated OEI. Or with two out. Why no pilot?

A bit off topic, but along e lines. I just watched a YouTube about an electric automotive supercharger. Comes in various sizes and the episode I watched featured a small one dyno'ed on a Chevy Cobalt. Got more than 40% HP gain. It was boost controlled separate from the engine. Bigger ones are available for racing. Looked like about a 5 lb unit with a big battery.

Just a matter of time until some EAA'er puts one on some "lead sled" and demonstrates turbo normalized hot, heavy and high take offs. The engine (could be on an O-200) could be operated within MCP limits but still have a good climb until the separate battery reaches its limit. Its do-able now and makes more sense than an eVTOL. I saw the vid about an hour ago and I have not yet dug deeper into this concept.

Help me understand this. In the event of complete engine failure, an airplane can glide, a helicopter can autorotate. What are these multi/quad rotor eVTOL things supposed to do? And they are supposed to operate in the most congested areas.

also, pilot or no pilot, all aircraft still have to navigate airspace, see and avoid other aircraft and obstacles, and navigate weather.

Last edited:
Back