Finally mastered the ribs... and cole slaw!

Sac Arrow

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Snorting his way across the USA
Okay.

@Everskyward and I had cole slaw together. Yes. It was like some sort of consummation thing, but it involved BBQ and cole slaw. She had the pulled pork. I had the brisket. And cole slaw. Two types. Habenero, and mustard. She had the potato salad. This was uh, not today. This was about a year ago.

Well fast forward to today. I felt like recreating that special BBQ joint in the SOMA district of San Francisco where Nate Thurmon laid his BBQ legacy down. And the very place where I met Everskyward, face to face, and... well okay not quite lip to lip. Not yet anyway.

But here is the thing. Forget about Asian beauties that fly airplanes for a living that us mortals can only dream of. Let's get back to the basics.

BBQ

Cole slaw

Yes, those two. Well, as I said, one of the cole slaws I had was mustard cole slaw. Well fast forward to today. I was in charge of BBQ. Well me and #1 eater, a smaller version of me but he isn't so small anymore. I scored some pre-seasoned half racks of two different types but needed something to go with it.

Cole slaw.

Common sense said, 'Look we had cole slaw three days in a row alright? What could make this different?'

Mustard cole slaw.

Yeah. Well, ideally I think that mustard cole slaw should be made with dry ground mustard and cole slaw mix. But I was out. I did have the French's yellow. I initially thought it to be a bad idea. I drank. I drunk. I f(&Ted up. I used it, think I di-int.

It was great. Really great. And that isn't just coming from me. All four pounds of ribs between the two of us were decimated. They were fall off the bone. And the cole slaw...dayummm.

IMG_3513.JPG

Lip to lip w/ Everskyward eh? Did ya tongue her?

ps ribs need more sauce, lather those babies up man

The only thing that got close to my lips was the brisket, LOL. And I was wondering who that strange guy with the argyle socks was.

Ha! I knew you were lurking! Gawd argyle socks, are you shettin' me Sac?! :D

th

Hmm, I guess the socks weren't argyle.

Technically they weren't. And the green jacket? Seriously?
Coincidentally I was trying to decide whether or not to wear that green jacket tomorrow... on my flight to San Francisco.

Sauce? You guys are killing me! I'm not taking sides on this issue, but once some of the purists check in...

Come to Alabama, tomato-based sauce, and even white sauce! Ever have that Sac?

I'm American. ;)

But my grandparents were from Japan.

Now the not-so-secret is out of the bag. I liked it better when...

f60.jpg

Mushi mushi Mari! I lived in Japan when I was like 9-10. My dad was stationed at Fuchu Air Force Station. I remember eating roasted chestnuts that a Japanese man sold on base. And the honey pits. Oh the honey pits. :D

Closest I've been to Alabama was Fort Benning. Closest I've ever lived to Alabama was Norfolk. Closest I've ever been to Alabama culture was Killeen, Texas.

Closest I've been to Alabama was Fort Benning. Closest I've ever lived to Alabama was Norfolk. Closest I've ever been to Alabama culture was Killeen, Texas.

Not as bad as the stereo type makes it out to be. Birmingham, now that's a food lover's delight, a couple world class Chefs have restaurants here, Italians came here from Ellis Island to work in the steel mills (great Italian restaurants here), Greeks too. A lot of Asians too, Chinese, Japanese, Vietnamese, Koreans, Thais etc. I was very surprised at all this in this part of Alabama.

Mushi mushi Mari! I lived in Japan when I was like 9-10. My dad was stationed at Fuchu Air Force Station. I remember eating roasted chestnuts that a Japanese man sold on base. And the honey pits. Oh the honey pits. :D
You've spent way more time in Japan than I have. I was only there for three days once on a business (flying) trip. The owners lost their minds and decided to take the Sovereign to Tokyo instead of buying first class tickets. But it was an adventure...

You've spent way more time in Japan than I have. I was only there for three days once on a business (flying) trip. The owners lost their minds and decided to take the Sovereign to Tokyo instead of buying first class tickets. But it was an adventure...

No doubt. I was there I guess very late 50s-early 60s, just outside of Tokyo. Still a lot of post war crap going on then, American military bases all over the country. But on clear days I could looked down the street and there was Mt Fuji.Went thru Tokyo I think in '74 on my way back to Korea, amazing the transformation and technology.

upload_2017-3-4_21-30-0.png

It's rare to see it here, but I'm kinda partial to that "Carolina" sauce... mustard and vinegar or whatever that is... on pulled pork. I'll do any other sauce too, but I'd grab that stuff if it's on the table, which it rarely is around here.

I'm sure that's all sacrilege to someone here. All forms of BBQ are to someone.

It's rare to see it here, but I'm kinda partial to that "Carolina" sauce... mustard and vinegar or whatever that is... on pulled pork. I'll do any other sauce too, but I'd grab that stuff if it's on the table, which it rarely is around here.

I'm sure that's all sacrilege to someone here. All forms of BBQ are to someone.

I've seen mustard-based sauce (popular in SC), and I've eaten a lot of vinevar-based sauce (popular in eastern NC); but what is this "mustard and vinegar" of which you speak??? :confused2:

I usually mix.....

I'll take a molasses based and dabble some Carolina on it. Can't stand that mustard ****...... If I want mustard, I'll eat a hot dog.

Even though I'm a KC BBQ guy, I also like the Carolina style vinegar sauce. And the mustard version too, but not quite as much as the vinegar. I like it on pulled pork, which is pretty much all you'll find in NC/SC anyway. For brisket, I still prefer the various KC styles.

A nice dry rub on the ribs and plenty of mayo in the cole slaw,does it for me,but of course I'm from the north.

I've seen mustard-based sauce (popular in SC), and I've eaten a lot of vinevar-based sauce (popular in eastern NC); but what is this "mustard and vinegar" of which you speak??? :confused2:

Dunno. I swear I've had one that's made up of both. Maybe they're two different things.

I've seen mustard based sauces that contain some vinegar, and I've seen vinegar sauces that contain some mustard.
At the airport in Asheville I think. There were three or four sauce choices...I was still saying sauce? Good Q needs no sauce...

At the airport in Asheville I think. There were three or four sauce choices...I was still saying sauce? Good Q needs no sauce...

Totally agree on the no sauce needed thing, but sauce added to good Q can also be wonderful just because... sauce!

I'm not anti sauce, but it has to be the right sauce. Most sauces are too sweet and sugary for my taste so I usually skip them unless the Q is overly dry.

I've been playing around with different cole slaws. Tabasco, Italian spice blend, and a couple other combinations. So far I like mustard slaw the best. Purists can poo-poo the pre-mix with dressing included, but I find that the dressing is acceptable plus it is in exactly the right quantity - not to little, not too much.

oooh, sac's going into the homemade slaw business! "Sac's House of Slaw". I think there's a niche market for good slaw, go for it sac!

oooh, sac's going into the homemade slaw business! "Sac's House of Slaw". I think there's a niche market for good slaw, go for it sac!

And on grocery store shelves: "Sac-o-Slaw"

Thanks for the bump, eman ... this and the older referenced thread still make me guffaw and scratch my head at the same time.
dang - now I want ribs ...

I like all kinds of ribs, all kinds of BBQ, and all kinds of slaw. I guess I'm not very picky.

Thanks for the bump, eman ... this and the older referenced thread still make me guffaw and scratch my head at the same time.
dang - now I want ribs ...
I've got an appt at school today, thinking about ribs for dinner. Don't like Brothers, Bennett's is fair, really miss Luther's (fire destroyed the restaurant and the company decided not to rebuild) but Famous Dave's isn't bad but not that convenient - really out of the way when coming from downtown (waaay southeast). There's a new cajun-style on the way home, may try that this evening.

Mmm...BBQ...

I am, even as I peck at this keyboard, in Lakeland, FL. The Pigfest 2019 BBQ contest is going on this weekend and I’m judging tomorrow. I’m going for high score on my cholesterol test in a couple weeks.

Back