Finally made it to the West side (and into a Bravo)

Salty

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Salty
Decided to evacuate Florida, partially for the adventure and partially because work said I needed to be available all weekend and next week, and I didn't think that would happen in Tampa.

We have an office in Plano, so it was a perfect excuse to take a trip out west. I had less than a day to plan the trip and prep the property to leave, so needless to say it was rather impromptu.

Got a bunch of firsts for me as PIC:
  • Flight across the Mississippi
  • Flight West of the Mississippi
  • Landing in Mississippi
  • Landing in Texas
  • Flight inside a Bravo (Barely. They let me fly at 2500 in shelf that begins at 2500)
  • First time my wife was more anxious than I (Normally she trusts me more than I do, but we arrived in Dallas just after dark and she wasn't real keen about all the other planes she was seeing around us)

As hard as it was to see Addison at night, I think it would be even harder during the day. If it weren't for the airport beacon, and then eventually the strobe up to the threshold, I would have never seen it. It's a good thing I've been doing a lot of non-standard pattern landings lately as the dive from 1900 AGL 4 miles from the runway was quite interesting in the Mooney. I didn't want to slow down and put the gear down until I got real close, but I probably should have done it sooner than I did. At any rate, I made the first turn-off without even needing to slip, so no problem.

I'm very proud of my performance, and how "not a big deal" this trip was, from planning quickly to flying into unknown, busy, controlled airspace without getting anxious about it. Honestly, this forum has a lot to do with that. Reading about other's experiences and asking really really stupid questions has made a difference and made me stretch myself in ways I might not have if you weren't here.

875 miles in 6 hrs 8 min for 143 knots average groundspeed.

We stopped in Mississippi for fuel and to wait out some crappy weather over Dallas.

Screen Shot 2019-08-31 at 12.57.33 PM.png
90A01241-E52B-4C6E-B9D3-4D50DAD2D80A.jpeg

Last edited:
My neighbors are driving a rental 20 hours MIA-SAT (their connecting flight back from Anglo-tourist trap Punta Cana, DR) as we speak because AA cancelled their flight yesterday (something something wx, something something hurricane, here's a hotel voucher) and told them Monday is the earliest they could get them back. I can make Guess yours is an example of GA FTW! :D

Glad you had an unadventurous flight. Looks like you may have been able to stay in Tampa. Good choice however better to be safe than sorry.

When I have to go to Plano, I like McKinney. About the same distance from Plano.
Yeah, except the office is on the other side of Plano from McKinney. It's only about 5 miles from Addison.

Glad you had an unadventurous flight. Looks like you may have been able to stay in Tampa. Good choice however better to be safe than sorry.
Yep, the wife is probably going to be ****ed when she finds out, but I'm happy about it. ;)

A trip like that is how you get real experience and utility out of the airplane. Nicely done!

Nice job! Hope your flight back is just as good! If you get stuck, though, maybe I’ll see you out there on the 9th. :)

A prudent and sensible decision in the circumstance. Great to hear you were able to turn it into a bit of an adventure and explore some new territory. Shows what can be done with a capable GA plane.

Looks like a Moooney wing....... Musta had a good head wind.......

Looks like a Moooney wing....... Musta had a good head wind.......
Nope. Not much of wind effect either way. A few knots tailwind for part of the trip. 143 knots average ain't bad on < 11 gph

Come to think of it, they never explicitly cleared me into the Bravo.....

I had that happen once going VFR to Phoenix Sky Harbor. After I was well into the airspace, it suddenly hit me that I had not heard those magic words....

I guess the controllers are used to 999.9% of the traffic being IFR, and I pretty much always go into class B airspace IFR, that we both slipped up.

As my Arizona home airport is under the Phx Bravo, I get to deal with it.

Recently, I simply said: “My direct course to Deer Valley has me close to the edge of your airspace. May I please have a Bravo clearance for my wingtip?” She gave me a clearance for the whole plane and all was well. Saved me from having to get too low, too soon on a hot day.

Nope. Not much of wind effect either way. A few knots tailwind for part of the trip. 143 knots average ain't bad on < 11 gph

I thought you guys cruised much faster than that? Was that LOP?

I thought you guys cruised much faster than that? Was that LOP?
I'm in a 180 HP carbureted Mooney. ROP. That's pretty quick on 180 HP.

I'm not in a 300 HP turbo Mooney

...143 knots average ain't bad on < 11 gph

That's damn fine for 180 hp. Couple of friends of mine co-own a 200 hp 1966 M20E. They are in the ~150 kt TAS range in cruise at +/-8000 ASL.

As my Arizona home airport is under the Phx Bravo, I get to deal with it.

Recently, I simply said: “My direct course to Deer Valley has me close to the edge of your airspace. May I please have a Bravo clearance for my wingtip?” She gave me a clearance for the whole plane and all was well. Saved me from having to get too low, too soon on a hot day.

Coming from Tucson, going to Deer Valley I've done the N/S VFR transition through the Phoenix Bravo a few times. Super easy; although I haven't flown VFR transitions through any other class Bs, i can't imagine this isn't one of the simplest.

Coming from Tucson, going to Deer Valley I've done the N/S VFR transition through the Phoenix Bravo a few times. Super easy; although I haven't flown VFR transitions through any other class Bs, i can't imagine this isn't one of the simplest.

Speaking for myself, I've done transitions in a few of them, and compared to many, Phoenix is waaay simple. Just ask for it, get it, do it.

San Diego has their VFR-corridor, which seems complicated, then you realize it's also deceptively simple. It requires ZERO coordination with ATC (which I find unnerving).

LAX has their three VFR corridors which fly you right by, or over LAX.

Back