Finally had my first official IFR lesson yesterday...

Hobobiker

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Hobo
Went through the whole "body tells me something different than the gauges" exercise. Reinforced that flying the gauges is sometimes an uncomfortable effort when your body is giving you opposing thoughts. Shot two approaches. The 650 isn't difficult, but different than the 430 that I've had up until now so it added even more overhead to an already-busy first time with IFR approaches. Luckily my CFI handled some of the radio work while I fought with heading/altitude/radio work/trying to understand the procedure/holds/entries/etc.

Drank through the proverbial fire hose, but it was great to start the IFR training and put it in the logbook. Best part was him saying "okay, you can look now" and having the runway (somewhat) right in front of me. Yikes! Time to get my head in VFR-mode and land the plane!

Good luck on your training! Shooting an approach on your lesson doesn't seem like a good idea to me. Approaches were one of the last things I learned how to do. I started off with basic attitude flying and developing my instrument scan.

Good luck on your training! Shooting an approach on your lesson doesn't seem like a good idea to me. Approaches were one of the last things I learned how to do. I started off with basic attitude flying and developing my instrument scan.

He asked me if I wanted to and I said "sure." He probably gave me the option because I had been his safety pilot numerous times when we did the same approach for his currency. I'm sure he wanted to expose me to how much work goes into single-pilot IFR and see me sweat. LOL!

I agree, my attitude flying and instrument scan need a lot of practice. I find myself working on those things now even during a VFR flight to dinner...

He asked me if I wanted to and I said "sure." He probably gave me the option because I had been his safety pilot numerous times when we did the same approach for his currency. I'm sure he wanted to expose me to how much work goes into single-pilot IFR and see me sweat. LOL!

I agree, my attitude flying and instrument scan need a lot of practice. I find myself working on those things now even during a VFR flight to dinner...
Single pilot IFR is very demanding. O btw, don't suprised if your landings start to suck:D

I'd agree, except if it was being used as a motivator. Before I officially started training for the instrument rating, I asked my instructor if we could go shoot an approach just to see what it looked like, how it worked, etc. We did and it was pretty motivating to want to be able to do that on my own. And then training started.

Very similar to the way I started my primary training. I'd been flying a flight sim route from local airport to local airport so much I could remember the frequencies and courses needed. One day, I asked my Dad (who became my instructor) if we could go take the same flight in real life. We did and I was hooked.

Awesome! Are you using the same instructor as you did for your private? What are you using for ground school? Apologies if you already answered in another thread.

Awesome! Are you using the same instructor as you did for your private? What are you using for ground school? Apologies if you already answered in another thread.

Yep, same instructor who is also a friend of mine and a co-worker. I'm only using some of the FAA materials and a Gleim book to date, but I really haven't started studying yet. If it goes like my private, I'll throw in some ASA/Dauntless/YouTube/Sportys/Other resources as well. I like to read, but dry manuals lose my interest quickly. I might even make a small investment in some flight simulator software just to shoot approaches while at home (more a mental-picture thing than mimicking real life flying, which I'm aware it doesn't).

Yep, same instructor who is also a friend of mine and a co-worker. I'm only using some of the FAA materials and a Gleim book to date, but I really haven't started studying yet. If it goes like my private, I'll throw in some ASA/Dauntless/YouTube/Sportys/Other resources as well. I like to read, but dry manuals lose my interest quickly. I might even make a small investment in some flight simulator software just to shoot approaches while at home (more a mental-picture thing than mimicking real life flying, which I'm aware it doesn't).

This is a wise investment and will save you money and will definitely improve your scan.

Practice practice practice and then practice practice practice some more.

Back