Finally got to shake the rust off!

Greebo

N9017H - C172M (1976)
Display Name

Display name:
Retired Evil Overlord
The Scheduling gods and the Weather gods must have been napping yesterday, because I finally got a day with good clouds, good visibility, a work day where I wasn't completely wiped out at the end of it, and... the plane was available!!

So I headed out to MTN yesterday just to do some pattern work and make sure I still knew how to fly a plane. :)

I was extra careful to go through the checklist twice, and flooded the engine when it wouldn't start up at first and over primed. (OOPS!) Gave it a few minutes to drain out and was trying again, for the third time, about to give up and call it a night when she fired into life.

Aside from that hitch, a pretty good flight considering I hadn't done anything since December. Six trips around the pattern - my first landing, oddly, was my best. I think I started overthinking it once I was slightly disatisfied with my first. However I did pull off a very acceptable short field landing on one trip around.:D

AND I had the fun of being #3 behind a pair of A-10s not once, but twice! :dance:

The first time I was put #3 behind them I waited until #2 was past me before turning base. They both were clear of the runway before I turned final...

So the second time I turned base as #2 was just in front of my wing - and he was STILL clear of the runway before my flaps were all the way down on final...

C172's are kinda slow. ;)

But it was still great to finally be back up in the air again! I very nearly stayed in the pattern until it was legally night time for currency, but after 6 trips I decided not to push it -- and I didn't have my usual flashlights for night flight anyway so I didn't want to depend on the failing flashlight left in the club plane.

Oh well - night currency another day ...er...yeah... you know what I mean. :) Anyway, I can still fly! YAY! :)

Good for you, Chuck. Glad you were able to have a day of pleasure.

Greebo said:
Aside from that hitch, a pretty good flight considering I hadn't done anything since December.
Chuck, that's too long to have to go without flying! You need to work less and play more. :)

Greebo said:
C172's are kinda slow. ;)

Yea, but that gives you longer to figure stuff out. ;)

Greebo said:
But it was still great to finally be back up in the air again! Anyway, I can still fly! YAY! :)

Yay, Chuck! Glad you're flying again. :)

Last edited:
How about that! It was MY day to knock off some rust also, though it was early January I last flew; and an IFR lesson at that. I went with a CFII for a (re)familirization flight which I also used to complete the second hour of WINGS. Next week will be landings.
I either get the WINGS by July or a BFR. WINGS seems a way to go.
Yes, we're able to use the plane again. While a bit sloppy, most of my muscles remember what to do even if the brain didn't.
Didn't it feel real natural to again break with the earth, if but for a few minutes.

Back