Finally got the ticket wet

AggieMike88

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
The original "I don't know it all" of aviation.
Last Tuesday I had an Angel Flight mission from DTO to SGR scheduled. So glad I had the IFR rating in my pocket as this was a last minute "must go" mission for the patient, and the weather would have made it a real challenge for a pure VFR pilot. As it was, for IFR, easy peazy.

Flight Aware: KDTO to KSGR

Flight Aware: KSGR to KDTO

I get the patient and friend briefed, loaded, belted, start the engine, and get taxi clearance. "Angel Flight 5381 also has an IFR clearance to Sugar Land."

Ground: "We don't have a clearance for Angel Flight 5381 but we do have it for November 5 5 Whiskey Bravo. Would you like for us to change to the Angel Flight?"

Whoops!!! "Yes, please"

Get the clearance copied correctly the first time (Hooray!), run up done, pulled up to the hold short, get take off clearance, and we're on our way. KDTO.JPOOL8.CLL CLL.BLUBL3.KSGR

Regional Departure was awesome, getting me at a higher altitude than typical (often down around 4000, but they got me to 5000 pretty quickly). Broken cumuliform cloud layer sitting about 6000. South of I-20 I was cleared to climb to my cruise 7000. Climbed through a big gap in clouds but my first one to go through was soon after I levelled off. I laughed at myself for even thinking the cloud looked real solid and this was going to be a Wylie Coyote wall splat.

wile_e_coyote_ran_to_a_wall_by_bjnix248-d2y74et.jpg

Even though I was on autopilot with altitude hoId just shifted to scanning the instruments, and went on through with nary a bump.

Soon after I was switched to Waco Approach, I was cleared direct CLL. Rest of the ride down was easy, occasionally going through a cloud, but more often steering to one side or other of the bigger build ups by a few degrees, but always close to the course ATC had me on. Was a real smooth ride as evidenced by both passengers sleeping soundly.

As soon I could, I picked up the ATIS for KSGR, which said that RNAV17 was in use. Told Houston Approach I had Yankee and desired RNAV17. Was given my initial descent and direct BASGE. Descended through the intermittent layer, VFR underneath, shot the approach, nice smooth squeaker of a landing.

Once parked, I offloaded my passengers, asked for fuel, and went in to keep them company while we waited for their ground transpo.

While waiting, I got my return flight briefing via ForeFlight, and filed what Fltplan was saying was the common clearance, BELTWY2.CRIED.REEKO3. While Foreflight did acknowledge my plan was on file, something in the system wasn't happy and I got the "we don't have your cleared route" message. Oh well, I took a moment to review the other possibles before going to the aircraft.

By the time I walked outside, it had started raining with a steady shower (glad I had the high wing C182). Sugarland Ground was already on the ball, having my clearance immediately ready when I called, "Ground, Skylane November 5 5 Whiskey Bravo at the Global ramp, IFR Denton, Texas." I was given LOA1.LOA DODJE5.

Taxied out, confirmed initial course was runway heading, did runup, cleared for take off, and departed on RWY17, still rainingSwitch to Houston Departure who turned me to the right onto heading 290 and ascend to 3000.

Then I got something I didn't expect. Houston Departure gave me the choice to turn direct to the LOA VOR, which was the shorter course, but had to remain low so I don't interfere with the IAH traffic, or I could remain on my present heading and be allowed to climb higher sooner, but had to wait for my northbound turn for 20 miles. Since it was super muggy and hot at 3000, I chose the latter to get into cooler air. I was immediately cleared for 4000 and soon after 5000. I had a 300-400 foot layer to go through but soon was in clear air, with a few cumulo buildups, and muuuuch cooler. 10-15 minutes later, I was cleared direct to the LOA VOR.

Chatter between Departure, HOU Center and other aircraft included lots of deviation requests for precip and buildups. But I was motoring along nice and happy, with the occasional cloud to fly through. 20 miles north of LOA it was clear and a million.

The DODJE5 arrival has me being vectored to the West near KRBD, so I was monitoring my position and being ready to make the turn. But Regional Approach gave me a pleasant surprise, "55WB, proceed direct COWBOY VOR and I'll get you over the top of DFW." Way neato... that reduced my journey by 20 minutes. And the vectors provided as you approach DFW make it look like a long final on RWY31.

Overflew the center of DFW, chuckling to myself about the passengers enjoying the TSA Blue Hand Security theatre while my aluminum Spam Can is flying over at 4000 MSL. Then I was switched to 118.10, turned toward DTO, requested the RNAV18, shot the approach, and had another squeaker landing.

4.6 hrs in the book, about 0.4 actual, first take off in the rain, first departure through a layer, no nekkid pilots, 2 squeaker landings. Emmy award nomination for the Army helicopter pilot near College Station that had to remind the controller that he had a clearance on file and the controller was not getting it correct. Clearance readback correct on first pass fu, passengers snoring in the back fu, gratuitous flying through clouds, gratuitous controllers being super nice, loads of fun flying IFR, 5 Stars! Aggie-Bob-Mike88 says, Check It Out!

Last edited:
Nothing beats the utility of IFR when you need it. I fly virtually all my Angel Flights IFR, and pick the ones that have poorer forecast (but no convection or icing) since I know there would be less demand for those. A good flight for me is low ceilings on both takeoff and landing, with a nice low LPV at the end. The one fly in the ointment is that, at least when low (like during approach), the pax can get bounced around a bit.

Apologies to Joe Bob Briggs for stealing his summary style. And for those who don't know of him, he used to do Drive In Movie reviews such as this one.

Congratulations, Mike! Cool flight, IFR really improves the utility of the airplane.

Thanks for flying Angel Flight missions for our wing, too!

You're welcome Tee-Dub. But I wish more could be on weekend days when I'm available. I might also advise Shireen I could do weekday evenings if she can coordinate with other pilots and the patients.

Apologies to Joe Bob Briggs for stealing his summary style. And for those who don't know of him, he used to do Drive In Movie reviews such as this one.
LOL you shouldn't have given it away so quickly. I remember reading Joe Bob's reviews in the Orlando paper when I was in high school (mid 80's).

Oh, and nice job. Good way to get your ticket wet.

Fun ain't it? Now you'll have clouds stuck to your airplane for a week, they're hard to get off. (See Bryan's latest video...)

This sounds like the perfect flight in the perfect conditions being made for the perfect reasons to get your ticket wet for the first time.

Congratulations and nice work!

Must be a nice feeling to finally apply what you have worked hard for. And to nail it first time around, congrats man!

Jan 20, 2016

But soon after, the aircraft went into an extensive maintenance cycle including new paint.

Congratulations, sounds like a nice flight.
I too got my ticket wet (well, after going into the clouds with a CFII in the past) with a student pilot in the right seat and a pup in the back seat. (PnP flight) :)
Otherwise it is not easy to wash the wings in TX when it is CAVU every day. :)

Back