Finally got some Baron Time

Don Jones

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
DJones
Well in my quest for the multi add-on, after waiting what seemed like a really long time for the plane to come out of annual, I have finally begun training. I now have 2 hours of dual in the Baron. Today we did 1.2 in it. Went to 5T6 and did a bunch of touch and goes, by the third lap I had the routine down and was getting comfy with the speed and complexity of all those knobs and switches:D. On the way back got my first taste of single engine ops, now that is interesting! Fun airplane to fly, ready for more now.

Don't expect a normal flight from now on. You can count on one or the other engine "failing" at any time. Usually when you least expect it, or at the most inopportune time.

:yes::D:rofl:

yea IIRC from my multi training, the first hour was all hunky dory happy and the rest was flown on one engine except for takeoff. enjoy!

So tell me, how does the Baron fly, and what year/model?

A Baron 58 is at the top of my list for a plane. Have not flown any Beech yet.

A 58 Baron flies as nicely as any Bonanza, which is very nicely. Great responsiveness, light control feel (for something of this size), and outstanding control harmonization. One engine out is easily controllable as long as you use the rudder and don't do nothin' silly with the yoke.

That said, unless Don's got a lot of Bonanza time, I'm surprised his instructor started killing engines in the second hour in type. I usually give folks just starting in a twin about four hours of basic transition training before moving into engine-out ops.

A 58 Baron flies as nicely as any Bonanza, which is very nicely. Great responsiveness, light control feel (for something of this size), and outstanding control harmonization. One engine out is easily controllable as long as you use the rudder and don't do nothin' silly with the yoke.

That said, unless Don's got a lot of Bonanza time, I'm surprised his instructor started killing engines in the second hour in type. I usually give folks just starting in a twin about four hours of basic transition training before moving into engine-out ops.

Well Ron, I don't have any Bonanza time. He has been my instructor since hour 1 and I now have 150 hours of dual instruction from him and he knows me and my abilities really well. I was already extremely comfortable managing the airplane, so he just took it up a notch. I like to be challenged and he knows it.:)

Last edited:
Sounds like fun Don, do you find yourself chanting at work, in the shower, over breakfast, something like "IdentifyVerifyFixOrFeather"?

"oh, nothing, honey - I was just mumbling to myself"
"ok, well its almost midnight, go to sleep!"

Sounds like fun Don, do you find yourself chanting at work, in the shower, over breakfast, something like "IdentifyVerifyFixOrFeather"?

"oh, nothing, honey - I was just mumbling to myself"
"ok, well its almost midnight, go to sleep!"

Yea, along with quips like "I would rather be in the weeds at taxi speed than in the trees at almost flying speed" It is a blast, feels good getting some more training, call me weird, but I miss the abuse;)

Congrats, Don.

Flying a Baron is truly a pleasure--solid feel, responsive on the controls, and one of the best in class for performance (especially single engine performance).

That said, there is a lot to learn to become a proficient twin pilot. It sounds like you are progressing well, so your assignment (if you choose to accept it. -- Mission Impossible ;)) is to become a pilot who is so knowledge about his plane and its systems you are able to deduce the potential causes and downstream effects of a failure from the pilot's seat. There are all kinds of fun hypotheticals to run through. ;)

Anyway, good luck, have fun, and learn much!

Now you can actually talk about having a balanced field.

:_

~ Christopher
Yeah, but it's WAY too much work in a Baron to figure out a balanced field distance...I'd just go with accelerate-go and accelerate-stop, and not worry about them matching. ;)

Fly safe!

David

Congrats Don,
Multi was my favorite rating. Remember "when you feel that funny yaw level the wings and step on the ball." (its a saying that will put your feet in the right place on a engine-out)

Congrats Don,
Sounds like you are transitioning pretty well;). Remember "when you feel that funny yaw level the wings and step on the ball." (its a saying that will put your feet in the right place on a engine-out)

accidental double reply...stupid internet

I would imagine that you could whip up a quick program for your handheld device of choice that would compute the balanced field length.

~ Christopher

Back