Finally Got My Ticket Wet

Erice

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Erice
Well, today I was finally able to get my ticket (slightly) wet. I got my IR at the end of June, but this was the first time that I have been able to rent an IFR capable airplane, line up my schedule, etc. I am pleased to report that things went exactly like they were supposed to.

I flew from Allentown, PA (JVU) to Wilmington, DE (ILG) and back. The biggest problem I had was figuring out the Garmin 430. I knew some of the basics, but I probably wasted $35 in Hobbs time sitting on the taxiway at ILG trying to figure out how to deactivate my first flight plan and load the return trip.

I know that ILG is the home base for some other POAers (GaryM), but this was just a quick in-and-out trip, since I had to get back in time to teach my last class of the day! But I learned a lot, and gained a lot of confidence. If anyone cares, the track of my flights are on flightaware.

Oh yeah, and I logged 0.1 of actual IMC :)

Other firsts today:
-first solo in a low-wing Piper (I've only flown Cessnas and the Cub)
-first use of autopilot (besides the airplane checkout ride)
-first solo use of G430 or of filing /G
-first solo IMC
-first solo IFR cross country
________
silver surfer vaporizer

Last edited:
sounds like a good one! i love days like that! lots of firsts! great job!

Sounds like a good day. I'm curious how did you find flying in a new style plane for the first time in IMC? Not sure I would have done that so I'm wondering. Not a critique just wondering. Had you previously checked out in the low wing piper or was this your first time flying it?

Sounds like a good day. . . . Had you previously checked out in the low wing piper or was this your first time flying it?

Yes, I had a check-out flight in the Warrior the previous week. And I have been flying in a Cutlass RG for about 8 hours that has a Garmin 430. But I hadn't done much of the hands-on Garmin work--mostly working on Commercial maneuvers. I did shoot a couple of approaches in the RG (with the CFI) using the G430. This flight in the Warrior was the first one by myself, though. Both approaches were visual.

The IMC was right at the lowest level of ceilings, so I figured that if things went bad, I could ask for lower, and be out of the clag almost immediately. Overall, I think it was almost the ideal day to "dip my toe in" to IMC.

I am taking my daughter and her friend up to Connecticut in the Warrior next week, so I wanted to familiarize myself more with the airplane and its avionics. Now I know what areas to get help in before I fly it again, especially into hard(er) IFR.
________
Suzuki VX800

Last edited:
and keep getting wet! You should download the free 430 simulator from the Garmin.com website. Practice on that until getting to the various menus and pages is second nature. Find an experienced 430 user to help you out. Being in real IMC without an A/P is not the best place to be figuring our this box.

Well, today I was finally able to get my ticket (slightly) wet. I got my IR at the end of June, but this was the first time that I have been able to rent an IFR capable airplane, line up my schedule, etc. I am pleased to report that things went exactly like they were supposed to.

I flew from Allentown, PA (JVU) to Wilmington, DE (ILG) and back. The biggest problem I had was figuring out the Garmin 430. I knew some of the basics, but I probably wasted $35 in Hobbs time sitting on the taxiway at ILG trying to figure out how to deactivate my first flight plan and load the return trip.

I know that ILG is the home base for some other POAers (GaryM), but this was just a quick in-and-out trip, since I had to get back in time to teach my last class of the day! But I learned a lot, and gained a lot of confidence. If anyone cares, the track of my flights are on flightaware.

Oh yeah, and I logged 0.1 of actual IMC :)

Other firsts today:
-first solo in a low-wing Piper (I've only flown Cessnas and the Cub)
-first use of autopilot (besides the airplane checkout ride)
-first solo use of G430 or of filing /G
-first solo IMC
-first solo IFR cross country
Kudos on wetting yourself!!! :rofl::rofl: ;)

and keep getting wet! You should download the free 430 simulator from the Garmin.com website. Practice on that until getting to the various menus and pages is second nature. Find an experienced 430 user to help you out. Being in real IMC without an A/P is not the best place to be figuring our this box.

I second that. There's a lot of unintuitive stuff in the 430 - the first time I was up on a long distance flight, solo, post-PPL in my new-to-me plane I got completely flummoxed by something in the flight planning logic. There I was at 5500ft approaching NYC Bravo with nary a clue! Lesson learned.

The 430 is really easy to use -- once you've spent some time with it. It's pretty much second nature to me after 300hrs on the 430 and another 200 on the G1000. The first 10-20 though, eh, not so much!!!

Fall is a great time for "easy" IMC. Enjoy it while you can!!!!:cheerswine::cheerswine:

The airplane I did my IR check ride in went in for maintenance the moment after I passed my check ride. It is still down--so no actual for me yet :( Of course it is getting colder by the day...

The airplane I did my IR check ride in went in for maintenance the moment after I passed my check ride. It is still down--so no actual for me yet :( Of course it is getting colder by the day...

When I returned from my IFR checkride I secured the airplane, and headed home. Later I got a call from my Instructor -- "Did you notice anything about the airplane flying back?"

"Nope."

"Well, I just went out to it -- there's not a drop of oil left in the engine -- it's all on the ramp."

I never saw any change in oil temp/pressure, so my guess is it blew while taxiing back to the ramp.

Eric,

Sounds like a good trip, sorry we didn't cross paths. I went up Friday in the local area to knock the rust off.

It was already mentioned about the 430 simulator from Garmin, take the time and check it out. I wish I could find a sim for the Garmin 300XL.

Back