Finally got my first actual IMC

br6ppc

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
br6ppc
:yes: I finally got a good day to get my first actual. I didn't know if I would get to go today or not. Ceilings were really low this morning at Robins AFB. And our aero club rules say you have to have circling minimums just to take off. I met my instructor at 1:00 pm and we decided to go. Ceiling was 1500 bkn and 3SM. I was supposed to do "Pattern A & B" work today but, my CFII said we were going on a short X-C trip. We filed KWRB direct VNA VOR, direct DBN VOR, direct KWRB. I handled the clearance (not much different than a VFR clearance, good thing about training in class D). We took off and were cleared to VNA by ATL Dep. I hit the ceiling around 1600 ft. and went into the clouds. I didn't haveany problems like I thought I might. I just concentrated on my scan. We flew to VNA and turned for DBN. We had a nice tailwind on that leg. I was indicated 100 kts. and at one time the DME said we were making 131 kts. I would like to say that it was smooth but, NOT! It was bumpy and the plane would try to almost fishtail. My CFII said I did great tracking to DBN, especially after my vacuum system "failed":no: . We were about 6mi. from DBN and my CFII reached over, slapped the covers on my AI and DG and said "congratulations, your vac pump failed". I just kept on tracking but, believe me, it wasn't nearly as fun:( . I reached DBN and turned to head back to Robins. I requested the ILS 15 appch. and got vectors. After we got established on the heading, my CFII removed the covers and said I did good on the partial panel. As we were nearing the base leg vector, I could hear some traffic at Robins. I had a ball listening the "heavies" being vectored so we could make our approach. Normally, we have to hold and make way for the KC-135's and E-8 Jstars. My CFII let me fly the ILS approach. I did a little "sword fighting" at first trying to get established on the localizer (remember the tailwind? It's now a crosswind). I finally settled down and tracked down and broke out at 2000 ft. I continued right on down to minimum before I transistioned. I had discussed this with my CFII and he agreed for me to fly to minimums and he would take over and land. A 1.9 hour flight with 1.7 actual. Man, that was the most fun I've had flying since my PP checkride. I don't know if I was this pumped up on the day I soloed. I did have a short bout with the leans when I looked outside, but I got right back on the gauges and it went away. I really needed this ride because, it was getting boring doing all the basic instrument work. I got a good look at how it all fits together today. I"ve one more flight to work on the A & B patterns, then I get my first stage check. Then, it's on to navigation, tracking and holds.

Sounds like a great training flight but, I'd never deprive a flight student of coming out of IMC and getting the experience of doing the LDG unless there was a real good reason.

Great story. It is important to get experience during training in actual, something I never got to experience. Good job and I'm sure you learned a bunch during this encounter. Keep up the good work and keep us informed of your progress.

Dave Krall CFII said:
Sounds like a great training flight but, I'd never deprive a flight student of coming out of IMC and getting the experience of doing the LDG unless there was a real good reason.

As a former instructor used to say...this is the only time I get to land!

alaskaflyer said:
As a former instructor used to say...this is the only time I get to land!

Sure, sure... but if I feel THAT much of a need to land there's always some good reason I can find to re-demo some type of landing while not depriving the flight student of the valuable and sometimes fairly rare experience of the actual IMC to VFR LDG itself.

Dave, I asked him if he wanted to do the landing. The wind was 9 (more like 13 or14) gusting to 21 kts at almost a 90 deg. X-wind. I was getting tired and I asked him if he wanted to do the landing. That's almost beyond my capabilities (the x-wind). If I was solo, I would have attempted the landing, but I would have been ready to go-around. When I briefed the approach, I told my CFII I would fly the approach to DA and then, turn over the A/C to him. I wanted to get a good look at how close I would be if I broke out right at DA. At 200-1/2, you are CLOSE!! It would be even better to breakout like we did, 2000 and 5mi. I almost missed the oppurtunity to do the flight mostly IMC. By the time we go the A/C tied down, the skies were just scattered 3000 and 5 miles. The "heavies" had started doing VFR patterns by the time I left the club (about 20 minutes after we landed).

Last edited:
br6ppc said:
Dave, I asked him if he wanted to do the landing. The wind was 9 (more like 13 or14) gusting to 21 kts at almost a 90 deg. X-wind. I was getting tired and I asked him if he wanted to do the landing. That's almost beyond my capabilities (the x-wind). If I was solo, I would have attempted the landing, but I would have been ready to go-around. When I briefed the approach, I told my CFII I would fly the approach to DA and then, turn over the A/C to him. I wanted to get a good look at how close I would be if I broke out right at DA. At 200-1/2, you are CLOSE!! It would be even better to breakout like we did, 2000 and 5mi. I almost missed the oppurtunity to do the flight mostly IMC. By the time we go the A/C tied down, the skies were just scattered 3000 and 5 miles. The "heavies" had started doing VFR patterns by the time I left the club (about 20 minutes after we landed).

That's definately cool too.
It can be pretty tiring up there herdin' needles.

Last edited:
Great job on your first actual. I'm still waiting for a good non-icing day to get my second. Have fun!

Back