finally got instrument rating.

rbridges

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
rbridges
man, I'm glad that's over. That was more mentally draining than my dental boards. Wind was a factor, and it was bumpy. It made me have a hard time keeping close to altitude. Anyway, that's done. Now I can start enjoying it. :goofy:

man, I'm glad that's over. That was more mentally draining than my dental boards. Wind was a factor, and it was bumpy. It made me have a hard time keeping close to altitude. Anyway, that's done. Now I can start enjoying it. :goofy:
I know what you mean! (I went outside the PTS altitude standards for a moment or two more than once on my checkride, too).

Anyway, congratulations!! It's a great feeling isn't it?

Way to go!

That is really an accomplishment. Congratulations! Now study weather, and be careful.

Congrats!

A great accomplishment. Welcome to the club!

The most important part now is to make a study of weather and it's effects on light aircraft. Be conservative, bearing in mind your aircraft's weather capability, instrumentation, etc. Then go out and get some real-world experience!

Awesome. Congrats.

Now you need to do what my crusty ole instrument instructor told me to do: USE IT! No, really, use it, i.e., even when it's CAVU out there, file IFR, every time. It will help keep you proficient so that when you do get wet, you can concentrate on precision flying with muscle memory while all the other stuff like communications and cockpit organization gets done by ingrained habit.

Remember that VFR into IMC is just as deadly for instrument rated pilots as it is for VFR only pilots. Note that it's not VMC into IMC that's so problematic, it's VFR into IMC. IFR into IMC should be a non-event if you remain proficient. So keep yourself tuned up and file IFR, every time. I even file IFR when I ferry my airplane 20 minutes for maintenance. I'm not saying don't ever fly VFR now that you are rated. VFR is fine for currency work and local sightseeing for example, but if the trip involves another airport on XC, short or long, my advice is to always do it IFR.

What if the ceilings are not so low that it's scud running, but too low to reach the MIA in VMC, and the clouds are full of ice? That describes about 80% of the time around here in the winter.

Though philosophically, I agree with what you're saying; I got my ticket to use it whether the conditions are IFR or CAVU. I much prefer having that extra set of eyes on my side.

Back