Finally found mystery noise

N5922S

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
N5922S
If this can save someone the hassle and worry I've endured for the last few weeks, I'll have done my good deed for the year. My DA20 developed a loud whistle/moan/vibration in flight that appeared to be coming from directly behind my head. My first thought was the canopy seal, but that was eventually eliminated. One A&P said it could be fiberglass delaminating (OH CRAP). After removing the rear bulkhead and baggage compartment floor, my A&P crawled around in the back while I flew and determined that it was coming from the left side of the plane. Eventually he noticed that a short section of the vinyl wing root tape had come unglued along one edge. On the ground, it looked completely normal, but in the air, it made a really horrible, loud noise. Needless to say, he's a major hero to me. :goofy::yes:

oh cool the diamond's wings are taped on too. glad you found the noise.

well i've never seen how a DA-20's wings go on but i have seen a -40 and its just like any other glider, as you would expect from Diamond. and of course almost all gliders have their wings taped on too :)

Back