Finally done with my panel!

Todd Copeland

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Glasair pilot
Wow, a marathon it seems but the panel is finally done. Plenty left in the project but I do see a faint light...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    534.4 KB · Views: 202
I may be mistaken here, but why is the mixture knob blue and the prop know red? Personal preference?

Otherwise very nice looking.

Last edited:
Where's your AI?

No backup analog ASI, ALT, AI etc?

Where's your AI?

No backup analog ASI, ALT, AI etc?

No back up. The system itself has much back up including a full autopilot that will function even if the Efis goes down. Dual battery as well. I firmly believe that people try to build too much back up into their planes these days. It's a single engine too. I do not intend to fly serious IFR, no more than a cloud layer going up or down. It's definitely a conscious choice on my part and I'm sure some will disagree with my choices.

I may be mistaken here, but why is the mixture knob blue and the prop know red? Personal preference?

Ha! My bad, actualy the red is mixture, but I've seen them arranged differently and prefer this arrangement with mixture at the far right. My Glastar is set up this way and I'm used to it so I didn't want to change.

Nice, did you do the Garmin Bluetooth link so you can program your 430 with your iPad and Garmin Pilot?

No back up. The system itself has much back up including a full autopilot that will function even if the Efis goes down. Dual battery as well. I firmly believe that people try to build too much back up into their planes these days. It's a single engine too. I do not intend to fly serious IFR, no more than a cloud layer going up or down. It's definitely a conscious choice on my part and I'm sure some will disagree with my choices.

If it's just for VFR and you can feel the plane through the pattern if needed that works.

Do they share the same avionics bus, and standby battery for at least one screen?

For IFR I'd want a non electronic ASI, altimeter and peanut gyro and ball, but that's just me.

If it's just for VFR and you can feel the plane through the pattern if needed that works.

Do they share the same avionics bus, and standby battery for at least one screen?

For IFR I'd want a non electronic ASI, altimeter and peanut gyro and ball, but that's just me.

There's no reason for that. A stand alone electronic back up is cheaper and more reliable than an electromechanical gyro. It's easy enough to bus the system for redundancy.

There's no reason for that. A stand alone electronic back up is cheaper and more reliable than an electromechanical gyro. It's easy enough to bus the system for redundancy.

Not how our working IFR machines roll

Not sure about all this vacuum backup AI stuff. Like Henning said, most of the glass aircraft these days use a glass AI backup that runs off an internal lithium battery. Our companies EC-135 uses a glass standby AI. Not that they'd need it because I've never heard of the primary going down.

Nice panel Todd. Probably the best III panel that I've seen.

Not sure about all this vacuum backup AI stuff. Like Henning said, most of the glass aircraft these days use a glass AI backup that runs off an internal lithium battery. Our companies EC-135 uses a glass standby AI. Not that they'd need it because I've never heard of the primary going down.

Nice panel Todd. Probably the best III panel that I've seen.

You flying for AMC?

well, it's a minimalist panel, but I'm sure you can get by with it. :D

That's the way my Glastar is. I like it.

Ha! My bad, actualy the red is mixture, but I've seen them arranged differently and prefer this arrangement with mixture at the far right. My Glastar is set up this way and I'm used to it so I didn't want to change.

Throttle, prop mixture...black, blue, red. How's that different from standard?

Oops. It's actually electrical mechanical. My bad.

Same kinda peanut gyro we have, it's got it own little battery backup too.

Nice panel! Are you in a IFR program?

Same kinda peanut gyro we have, it's got it own little battery backup too.

Nice panel! Are you in a IFR program?

Yep. 407 is my mount though. We fly the VFRs and the 135s fly the IFRs. It's funny, I've got glass and an autopilot but we're VFR. More capablity than some GA IFR FW aircraft but I'm restricted to VFR. Regulations.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    670.9 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:
Yup, labels are wrong on the prop controls. Fortunately the console is being redone at that end for other reasons. Believe me, it's not the first mistake and redo. This thing has been built several times over!

Yup, labels are wrong on the prop controls. Fortunately the console is being redone at that end for other reasons. Believe me, it's not the first mistake and redo. This thing has been built several times over!

That is exactly the reason I would choose a "Factory Build" option.

I not putting in backup steam instruments either. (2) G3X touch screens with (2) ADHARS units with a battery backup for them. The Vac system is getting scrapped as well. I will be flying a lot of IFR. I am more concerned about losing my single engine IMC than I am both my screens and both ADHARS units.

Looks good!

Remember - when you have 90% done, you only have 90% left to go. :)

Back