Finally! Cessna 140 "checkout" at 8N8

rottydaddy

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
beaky
A few months ago I discovered the excellent International Cessna 120/140 Association and their website and forums... started posting there asking questions and mentioned that I was thinking about buying a 140. Got some very good (if mixed) feedback about flying this type in IMC, but also got some very generous offers to come fly members' airplanes.

The closest is N72619, owned by Robert, a CFI and corporate pilot who keeps it at Danville Airport, about 2.5 hrs away from me by car.

That's a bit of a drive, but it seemed a good opportunity to actually fly a 140 before getting too caught up in purchasing one. Plus, it would be a chance to log some much-needed time in type, which would be needed to insure my own plane, for just my share of the fuel cost (plus about $20 worth of fuel for my car).

Woke before dawn and hit the road by 0630, hoping to get there around 0900. I did arrive more or less on time, but neither of us had counted on the typical morning fog lingering quite so long, so we had some time to kill before we could go up.

The ship was still in the hangar, with a small ceramic heater perched inside the open cowl and a blanket on top. He also keeps a trickle charger on the battery, as it often takes a while for the plane's generator to top it off. I looked her up and down, realizing that despite what I do know about planes in general, without a mechanic by my side I could not possibly make a decisive inspection as a potential buyer.

But it didn't matter- he'd mentioned it was possibly for sale, but between the price (high-ish, but very reasonable for an overhauled engine with only 300 hrs on it), the VFR-only panel, and the fact that said engine is only a C85 with a venturi-driven vac system, I had already ruled it out almost completely.

She sure looked swell, though- all unpainted except for green trim stripes. Even unpolished it looked very fine.

-see photos in the Gallery-

I did note with some dismay that the baggage area behind the seats, although generous and rated for 80 lbs or so, would not quite do as a seat for Peg. She could probably curl up back there and sleep, but wouldn't enjoy it, most likely. Maybe with a booster cushion under her and the "hat tray" removed, she could peer out.... hard to say.
And wrassling that old dog in and out of there would be a job!!

But no matter- taking Peg on flights in my own plane before she passes on would be wonderful, but not a high priority.

As our wait lengthened, R. suggested we go over to the FBO hangar and warm up in the classroom while I looked over the plane's logs.

Again, I realized I had no idea, really, what I was looking for. But the entries- all the way back to "Day 1" in the late 1940s- looked pretty thorough. He showed me an NTSB record he'd dredged up about the only known accident with this bird: a nasty ground loop in 1971 on a wet runway. "Damage: substantial"; "nose down", it said.
Clearly the right struts were repaired,and probably the wingtip, but there's no mention of it in the log, which has a 4-year(!) gap between a routine maintenance stop a few months before the mishap and the next entry, which describes an annual.

Hmmmm... I'm new at this, but that smells fishy to me.

Which is not to malign the present owner- he was very up-front about it. He's tried to find out more, but has nothing other than the NTSB printout. And the plane's been annualled many times and the engine was overhauled since then... so it seems unlikely there's a nasty surprise lurking in that airframe or engine.

Finally, the sun muscled its way through the scattered clouds and burned up some of the fog, so we got the plane ready to fly. He told me to take the left seat, and warned me that it had a "heavy" right wing... a rigging problem that he's been trying to have corrected for some time. I don't remember now if it has any correlation to the repairs done or not, or if he's even sure about that.

I didn't care. I was so eager to finally fly a 140 I was in a kind of dreamlike daze... ever been absorbed in anticipation for so long that the fulfillment of your desire is a sort of shock?

So... there I was, hauling myself into a cabin that at first reminded me of my old friends the C-150 and 152. No surprise there- I knew that the early 150 has almost precisely the same cabin section- in fact, some 140 owners have had 150 doors and seats mounted with little hassle or paperwork.

But the view... hmmm... offhand I'd say "not as good as a Champ, not as bad as a Cub... somewhere in between." Different. However,the curved glareshield makes up for the attitude- you can see quite a bit out those lower corners on either side.

Once the very strong C-85 coughed itself awake and we started rolling along Danvilles' bewildering taxiways (another story in itself), I found it was very easy for me to peer over the nose and not have to s-turn. A little rubbernecking was all that was required. Only big blind spot was the right tire, which would be hidden even without someone in the right seat. I can see why the later A models with "patroller" doors are highly prized.

I lucked out getting my first ride with Robert, I think:he was very happy to let me taxi on my own and make the take-off.

Of course he gave me valuable pointers, but showed no anxiety about letting me control his baby, even though he never actually looked at my credentials.
And get this- the hull is not insured!! huh?
He has a liability policy, under which I can fly but not solo the plane (not enough time in type), but if it were to be damaged... no insurance payout.
I was surprised, but he pointed out that "if I wreck it or whatever the insurance company'll never pay out what it's worth or enough to rebuild it... should be worth quite a bit as recyclable aluminum, though."

Never thought of it that way, but it makes sense. Certainly not true of every plane, but probably true of this classic, which has been very lucky to survive recent decades of ADs and dwindling support that has banished others to that parking spot off by the fence, if you know what I mean. A 140 is still a terrific buy these days, but... not for very long, I'm afraid.

My feet were still a bit un-acclimated to the pedals, which are similar to other Cessnas but not quite the same, but I stopped riding the brakes in time to start the takeoff roll. There was no wind to speak of, although it was clearly SW at about 6 knots just above pattern altitude, judging from the L-shaped plumes of smoke from nearby stacks. He had me put in one notch of flaps (there are two very stubborn schools of thought about flaps in the world of C-140 owners), but if they did anything at all I can't say. R.'s direction for liftoff was to ease the tailwheel just off the ground when it felt ready, then hold that attitude for a sort of in-betweenish takeoff: not quite a "3-point" and not quite a "wheel".

In essence, the C140 will fly at about the same speed that the tail will fly. This, as far as I can tell, is a very, very desirable trait in a taildragger. As long as you don't let it drift.

With two grown men and nearly-full tanks, not to mention the metallized wings (which add 23 pounds to the original weight), we got off the runway in about 600 feet with no wind. With a newb at the controls, mind you. Not bad.

Climb rate, when I peeked at it as we climbed out over dying patches of fog and low scud below a mid-level deck of cumulostratus and misty 5-mile visibilty, was about 600 fpm as we passed through 2000.

I was hoping R. would have a suggestion as to where to go (don't know the area and visibilty was poor), but he just said "whatever you wanna do", so I decided what I wanted to do was just get a feel for the hardest maneuver- flying straight and level with some precision- and see what she could do.

She could do 120 mph indicated at less than 80% power, for one thing... man, was I surprised! Of course, conditions were quite good-dampish but very cold- but still, I didn't expect to see over 100mph. Strong engine, and just out of the woods as far as the "hidden pitfalls after break-in" thing goes...it'll take a long time to rack up 1500 more hours in this thing; I hope the airframe is still in one piece when it's time for the overhaul.

Again, it's not the 140 I want, but that engine almost got me thinking...

The tendency to roll right was negligible- I could easily grip the funny little yoke in such a way as to relax and still have sufficient aileron in to correct it... but of course there was no way I'd be able to fly IFR in something with such a habit.I could tell, though, and R. confirmed it, that in good rig a 140 will trim hands-off even better than a 150... other than the "heavy wing" it was very solid. The rudder is extremely effective; all I had to do was think about moving my feet and the control was right there, just the right amount.

I elected to sort of follow the Susquehanna River a ways, and as we passed over the next airport upriver, Bloomsburg, R. keyed the mic and called out on the Unicom frequency to a friend who was there.
"Where are you?" his friend asked.
"Look up".

This reminded me that I hadn't done much with the plane, so I hauled her over into a 45-degree bank and looped around the airport, in case R.'s friend was actually outside looking up, then headed more or less back the way we came. N72619 rolled smartly, with little adverse yaw. My turn was fairly tight, but I could tell she'd come around much tighter if necessary. and the big skylights in the overhead provide a good view of the inside of the turn, if you bank enough.

I just kept going, lazily following the river, gently turning and trying to see what sort of posture worked best (seats are not adjustable). I caught myself hunching a few times, but if I leaned back and relaxed it seemed very comfy, although my left elbow seemed to say "Cripes! this is worse than a 150!"

R. went on and on about the area, the plane, and his plans for his next plane... all the while playing the Friendly Instructor very well: spotting traffic, offering little pointers, etc.

He started talking about the stall characteristics, so I said "want to demonstrate one?"
He dismissed that with "no, you go ahead and do one... enter the same way as with any Cessna."

I did some clearing turns, then pulled the carb heat, reduced the power to about 1500, and waited. Took a while to slow down (we did it "clean"), and when it broke, as I held the nose at a fairly shallow pitch attitude, it was almost a non-event. I could see also that like a Cub, this is a plane that will most likely sink and wallow on you well before it stalls in a low-power mode, which is not really a bad thing.

I asked how high he'd flown N72619. and R. said about 8,500 once, just to try it... which is impressive with a fixed-mixture carb. Nominal cruise altitude is about 5500... which seems right, on a scale that includes the 150 and 172... which generally turn in the best speed-relative-to-consumption numbers at altitudes slightly above that.

I didn't climb that high, but I did make a wide climbing turn to 3000, and took us south of Danville, above a patchy-fog-shrouded ridge. Looking at a wall-like region of crud beyond that, I decided to turn around the promontory sticking out above the fog and head back.

Getting closer, I was way off my game... flubbed my initial callup because I realized I did not really know my position relative to the field... been years- ages! since I've done something that stupid! :mad:

Eventually I had a good plan laid out to enter downwind, but as I lowered the nose a tad without touching the throttle, R. said "Um. Might want to throttle back... watch the redline."

Sure enough, the needle, seen at a glance, had fooled me: the ASI is calibrated to 180 mph(!), but redline is 140, way down near the bottom of the gauge!! So much for "trend monitoring"...

I pulled the throttle back at about 139. :redface:

Rolling out on downwind, I seemed low. R. started tapping the altimeter. "Yep; it's doing it again... you're a little low."

Easy enough to pop up; we were still pretty hot. He told me to drop full flaps at the abeam point; the center lever comes up when you do this, so if you're not careful, you can jab your elbow with it when you work the throttle. I managed to avoid that fate, even when I drew the power all the way out on base as he advised.
I must say I prefer even this awkward lever to fumbling with some goofy little toggle switch and dreading all the things that can possibly go wrong with the electric flap system on later Cessnas.

"Flap handle"... it even sounds better. :D

Doggone if that airplane did just not want to come down... I was high as a kite on initial final. "Go ahead and slip her... foot to the firewall..." I tried, but almost could not bring myself to slip some strangers' antique airplane like that, with the trees looming... she slipped like a dream, dropping like a gleaming aluminum brick. I'm pretty sure she said "what a scaredy-cat!", too, as we whooshed in over the threshold, wing low.

I was very very thankful for the still, thick air as I coaxed her onto the centerline and eased into the flare... touchdown was only a bit rough, just this side of perfect... but I spoiled it by getting my feet all discombobulated (heel/toe-wise) while trying to brake after the rollout. We swerved a little, but nothing serious.

There was suddenly a lot of traffic on the taxiways... the day was shaping up nicely, and everyone was eager to get up there and make some use of their investments. We parked by the hangar, and as I deplaned a friend of R.'s who had his own hangar across the way, asked "well? What do you think?"

"I think... I think I like it!" :D

R. filled in my logbook and we spent some more time chatting about N72619, the flight, and flying in general... mostly taildraggers. His neighbor started telling me about his Aeronca Chief, so before leaving I took him up on his offer to show it to me.

It's no show-winner, but still a good ol' Aeronca. Very much like the Champ, but with some noticeable differences: side-by-side seats, for one, and a fascinating starter, which works much like that of a lawnmower or other 2-stroke, except instead of a pull rope there is a handle inside that one easily pulls to turn the C85 over a blade or two. He claimed it started faithfully every time- for him, at least. It's a clever little pair of rings mounted behind the spinner, which is why some Chiefs have that big spinner.
He told me he'd bought it from a 747 captain who decided he was leery of flying in something with no radios. :rolleyes:

He also showed me the very minor damage that had been repaired after he lost a brake (beware those old Bendix drums) at a fly-in where others had parked too close to the grass runway... the Chief had veered into a parked Skyhawk. :eek:

According to him, the Cessna was "destroyed"- the wing, anyway- but his baby was easily repaired and is still flying.

Quite the character, this guy... he'd painted a Skyhawk silhouette on the cowling afterwards, as if a "kill mark"!

:rofl:

I had a long drive home ahead, so I reluctantly said my goodbyes and thank-yous, and left feeling very satisified...my suspicions have been confirmed: I really need a C-140! :D

Last edited:
140s are sweet. im surprised that one had a tendency to go so fast. Matt Sawhills has an 85 hp and it doesnt speed to redline in a descent ;)

chiefs are cool too, ive got one 1/2 hr before sunset flight in one. thats cool that it still has the original in cockpit starter, ive never heard of any of those still around.

140s are sweet. im surprised that one had a tendency to go so fast. Matt Sawhills has an 85 hp and it doesnt speed to redline in a descent ;)
It's possible that the ASI has similar quirks to those of the altimeter. ;)
But even with the not-so-great rigging, it still seemed do alright. The shape seems to be pretty efficient, which helps the little engine. It was on a par with any O-200-powered 150 I've ever flown... really makes me want to try a 140 with an O-200!! :yes:

chiefs are cool too, ive got one 1/2 hr before sunset flight in one. thats cool that it still has the original in cockpit starter, ive never heard of any of those still around.

The one I saw is a pretty tatty old bird, but sure I'd love to go for a hop in it. I'm sure if I show up there some other time when he's hanging around I'll be able to bum a ride. :D

Wow, that sounds like a great ride! If this sold anyone else on a 140, my museum is still selling raffle tickets for the 1947 C140 we're giving away! PM me for details!

I might have to call up our pilot and beg him to take me for a ride in it!

Wow, that sounds like a great ride! If this sold anyone else on a 140, my museum is still selling raffle tickets for the 1947 C140 we're giving away! PM me for details!

I might have to call up our pilot and beg him to take me for a ride in it!
Already got my ticket... ;)

If you can get any close-up pics of that one- panel, interior- I'd like to see 'em. Not many pictures of that plane available on the 'net .

There are a bunch over at www.houstonspotters.net - you have to register to view them, though. It's free to do so, and they won't send you any spam or sell your email address to anyone else... it's just another community like this one, but more dedicated to spotting and photographing planes instead of flying them.

Edit: If you don't find the pictures you'd like in the gallery, make a post in the forum. I'm sure the guys would fall over themselves trying to send you all of the pictures they've taken of it.

Last edited:

Actually, Tony, it has more like 87 hp. It's a C90. You're right - I don't often push redline in a descent (unless it's a nose-heavy power off spin ;)), but I'm skeptical that any 140 really does. I'd be curious what a GPS would say about the airspeed in 72619.

I know the prop and rigging are two of the biggest variables in cruise speed of the 120/140. It seems the fleet has a pretty wide range of airspeeds. I wonder how many of the 115 - 120 mph guys are really cruising at 75% power. I suspect they have higher-pitch props and work the engine at a little higher manifold pressure, even though the tach indicates 75% power. I also know that, by sacrificing a little bit of static stability, you can gain airspeed by cranking out some of the washout in the ragwings. Some sneaky guys tweak the washout a little beyond Cessna's approved range for a little extra boost.

Rottydaddy, I thought about pursuing my instrument rating in a 140, but the tides weren't in my favor - I found a clean VFR only bird and decided that a worry-free airframe was more important than what's bolted into the panel. In the back of my mind, I figured I could always upgrade the panel, but now I think the money would be better spent on an IFR capable 170 or RV-4.

Thanks for the report! I think a lot of people underestimate how much fun it is to fly the old, low-horsepower taildraggers.

Matthew

Actually, Tony, it has more like 87 hp. It's a C90. You're right - I don't often push redline in a descent (unless it's a nose-heavy power off spin ;)), but I'm skeptical that any 140 really does. I'd be curious what a GPS would say about the airspeed in 72619.

I know the prop and rigging are two of the biggest variables in cruise speed of the 120/140. It seems the fleet has a pretty wide range of airspeeds. I wonder how many of the 115 - 120 mph guys are really cruising at 75% power. I suspect they have higher-pitch props and work the engine at a little higher manifold pressure, even though the tach indicates 75% power. I also know that, by sacrificing a little bit of static stability, you can gain airspeed by cranking out some of the washout in the ragwings. Some sneaky guys tweak the washout a little beyond Cessna's approved range for a little extra boost.

Rottydaddy, I thought about pursuing my instrument rating in a 140, but the tides weren't in my favor - I found a clean VFR only bird and decided that a worry-free airframe was more important than what's bolted into the panel. In the back of my mind, I figured I could always upgrade the panel, but now I think the money would be better spent on an IFR capable 170 or RV-4.

Thanks for the report! I think a lot of people underestimate how much fun it is to fly the old, low-horsepower taildraggers.

Matthew

I have no idea what even the airspeed really was; the red, yellow and green arcs on that ASI (which was obviously made for something much faster) were painted on after installation... with no disrespect to anyone concerned, I'd say all of that makes it a highly dubious instrument. ;)

But it was faster and more "solid" feeling than I expected (possibly because my last thirty hours or so have been in Champs and Cubs :D ). Definitely reluctant to descend, compared to those other lighter ragwings... it's a very clean design, considering.

I may very well settle on a VFR-only 140, if the right one comes along... so far Ive only heard of one available 140 legal for IFR , and it is worth looking at, but the O-200 has over 1100 hrs on it and TT is over 4000. We'll see... I'm hoping to get a look at it when I'm in Chicago over the next two months.

I agree that it's weird that so many ignore this model, although I know a few pilots who are interested in them but just can't fit in the damn thing, which is a deal-breaker. :D

I'd love to get a 170, but between purchase price and the higher fuel and maintenance numbers, I am not comfortable taking that on.

Maybe for my next airplane... although a 185 would be sweet. :D

Not to ignore the RV-4... I've flown one, and it's a gas, but probably less useful for IFR training. :D
If and when I build a plane, the RVs would be at the top of my list to consider.

If and when I build a plane, the RVs would be at the top of my list to consider.

I'm with you there.

If you're shopping for a 140, make sure you take a look at the gross weight - a lot of them haven't been weighed in a long time, so though they may claim a weight of 930 lbs, chances are there are another 80 lbs of dust and time in there somewhere. I haven't seen a clean, IFR capable 140 weighing much less than 1000 lb, which doesn't leave much room for frivolities as people and fuel. Add to that a "cruise prop" and some density altitude, and you can end up with a plane that has trouble clearing the fence at the far end, let alone a 50' obstacle. A 95mph "climber" with a decent engine seems to do well even on hot days at 50+ lbs over gross (not that I've ever tried it - instructors only weigh 120 lbs., after all.)

Good luck with your shopping. The 140 is no PropJet, but for the price, you get a modern design and relatively few serious ADs or Achilles' heels. The online "type club" is very active and helpful, you get front-row camping at Oshkosh, and it gets (mostly positive) attention from the control tower and flight following.

Buy one and come hang out at AMW. We'll welcome you with open hangar doors. I'd love to challenge you to a race around the patch.

M

Back