Finally a positive thread

Chrisgoesflying

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Chrisgoesflying
I recently posted a lot of misfortunate threads of trips gone wrong. I finally have something positive. Normally I wouldn't post this but due to the flurry of crappy posts recently, I thought I'd share this one.

On Saturday, we flew our Cherokee from the Canadian border to Arkansas to see family, who were tracking us on FlightAware the entire flight lol. Requested flight following for the first time (they usually don't give you FF in Canada so was thrilled to hang with the big guys while flying in the U.S. for the first time) and the flight was just smooth and easy. Landed in NE for fuel. Total flight time right around 8 hours. One hour of light to moderate turbulences over NE, the remaining 7 hours were smooth.

The next day, I took my "host dad" (I was an exchange student as a kid and the family that adopted me back then in Arkansas is like real family to me ever since) who is a Navy Vet, up for a flight to show him his house from the air. During his service, he spent most of his active years on planes as a spotter but this was his first flight on a small GA aircraft. Needless to say, he was thrilled.

Those kinds of trips and experiences are why I wanted to get my license and buy a plane. Hopefully many more to come!

Well done and hats off to your “host dad” for being a pillar in your life…

Since you're from the great white north, stick taps are in order.

Really cool story and experience. Love hearing how your host family was so influential. Great story.

Congrats on your successful trip! I did an international study-abroad program when I was younger and I'm still in touch with my host family 20 years later. One of the best experiences of my life really.

Back