Finally A Decent Funnel

Sinistar

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Brad
This year I switched over to using gallon jugs vs quarts of oil. I had the classic plastic funnel in the hangar. The one that when you get it too full will tip and make a nasty mess. With gallon jugs I wanted something where I can pour in the entire amount without worrying about it tipping over. So a quick trip to the local hardware store and $2 later and I find this one pictured below.

The first thing I did was get rid of the flexible hose thing on the bottom because I know that will fall back into the engine :eek: But that is also the good part because the rib on the bottom blue part of the funnel that holds the flexible thingy is exactly perfectly slightly oversized to insert into the filler cap opening of the engine and not allow it to tip or fall out! Since the funnel itself is decently sized you can pour an entire gallon of oil in very quickly (like a minute or so if its warm).

I like to add the last 2 quarts via single quart bottles that I have left over. The funnel design supports inserting them directly into the funnel and does not need to be held. So if you use quart bottles no need to mess with the pouring tubes, just remove each cap and pour it into the funnel and leave the bottle there while it all runs out.

One disclaimer: That little oversized rib is plastic (as is the whole funnel). The first time I put it in I carefully removed it again right away to see if any plastic was being shaved off. I didn't see any but thought it was important to check just in case and let others know.

For the spare quarts in the plane I will just keep using the filler tubes that come with the case.

I chucked my other crappy funnels.

funnel.jpg

It is called a "3-in-1" flex funnel. Found it at a local "True Value" hardware store.

Back