Final out on N928JP

Seems unbelievable to me that this condition even exists.
Was the airport/runway there before the stacks were built? Who in the hell would think that tall stacks barely 100 ft. below the approach flight path and directly in-line with the runway is OK??

Last edited:
The thing about the NTSB is they will only publish what they can PROVE is true. There is no conjecture, no guessing, just pure simple facts. It may occasionally conflict with what *actually* happened, but their jobs aren’t to spin a narrative.

The thing about the NTSB is they will only publish what they can PROVE is true. There is no conjecture, no guessing, just pure simple facts. It may occasionally conflict with what *actually* happened, but their jobs aren’t to spin a narrative.
Not to be a contrarian for controversy’ sake, but I’d bet POA could come up with a significant list of suspiciously political NTSB reports.

Two things in the NTSB report that I don't believe were widely discussed in public are that flaps were found retracted at the scene, and the analysis showing that the "agglomerate stack" may not have been visible above the instrument panel.

No surprise the pilot was faulted for descending below the approach path.

The issues about the various stacks -- not being painted as required, and the one stack perhaps not having a red beacon (thanks, Gryder, for obscuring that) would be moot if the pilot would not have seen the stacks anyway.

Lots of discussion in the report about interaction between FAA and potato plant about the stacks.

Figure 3 in the report shows that the published descent angle from JAMID (3.75 deg) only clears the stack that was hit by 98 feet. Of course, you can't leave the MDA (4560) without proper visual references, and that's about 400 ft above the stack (4156).

Seems like th danger with this approach is that if you break out with runway environment in sight but stacks below line of sight, and then proceed below the published descent angle, you may never see the stack that kills you. The intracacies of instrument appraoch charts can be lethal.

Have I got this right?
Also- this accident highlights the dangers of obstacles around airports that may only be known to locals. I looked today and the only identifiable call out for this obstacle is in a user comment on Foreflight. Minimal comment in Remarks section and buried within a lot of other remarks about railway cars, agriculture activity, fuel sales, etc. I would have expected a remark about this in the remarks section on the approach plate. I can absolutely see how breaking out at the MDA and seeing the runway and starting a descent would lead to this- even if she got a little low (98') at 1/2nm final. A white stack in the middle of a steam cloud on a low contrast snowy day would be hard to see.
The pilot had flown into BYI many times, and undoubtedly was aware the agglomeration stack was there. Why she hit an object which she had successfully avoided thirteen times in the previous twelve months (and completed the approach and a fly past literally minutes prior to the crash) will never be known.

Last edited:
Not to be a contrarian for controversy’ sake, but I’d bet POA could come up with a significant list of suspiciously political NTSB reports.

There is definitely a bias in what gets published, but it is all proveable. Give me a call sometime I have a real doozy for you.

Well, looking at this video:

It looks like he was on the roof... which is way past what I realized at first. Good grief.

Zero sympathy at this point.
jesus...
Probably not good for Delta Airlines that they continue to provide a free flying pass to this guy so he can recreationally stalk women. If I were that woman I'd definitely be buying a firearm as an insurance policy against this creep.
And what kind of an idiot appeals their restraining order to the state supreme court when all they have is lies to present as evidence? lol.

I think we can all agree the minimum prerequisite attributes for his behavior include delusions of grandeur, self-importance and a fantasy-infused worldview...
jesus...
And what kind of an idiot appeals their restraining order to the state supreme court when all they have is lies to present as evidence? lol.

Back