FINAL High Perf/Complex lesson

AdamZ

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Adam Zucker
As those who have been following my posts on my quest to get my High/Perf Complex Endorsement know. I am training in the CFI's Straight Tail Lance. He has been trying to sell the Lance for about a month or two. He was getting far more inquiries from Fiscal agents for grand poobahs in Nigeria and Thailand offering to send him 20K more than his asking price if he will send them a check for the extra 20K so they can avoid the regulatory customs retro cumulo no nada vista taxes.

Last Friday he had a fellow fly out from VA to look at the Lance. Now on Saturday and Sunday past we decied to forgoe the lessons due to the Winds and Turb. We figure eh we'll do it next week. Last night while on Flash Chat at aobut 10:30 I get a call from the CFI telling me the guy sent him a check and wants to close the deal on Saturday in VA at 9:00 A.M. and he will be away Thursday and Friday. :hairraise: AHhhhhhhh what am I gonna do. Nothing else to finish up in and I only have Stalls and an approach to do. And since it had been a bit he just wanted to see me tool around the patter for some T&Gs a few times. Of all the Luck.

Well no choice. We decide to meet this morning at 7:00 A.M. I have court every day but today this week so I guess I lucked out. I get out at 7 he is abit late no biggie and I preflight. Oh Boy it was cold and windy. Winds were 60-70* off the runway and the fuel was really cold on my hands. Did I mention it was REALLY cold and windy. The Crab angles on the biz choppers landing was quite something to see. No one out there but us,a biz chopper and a small cessna jet. FSS says winds are all out of the NW everywhere at the field it was 300-310 @ 8G16 and at 3k 310@22 then up to 29 .

We depart 24 and oh soooo nice I remember all my procedures to a T. Full power Rotate @ 65 almost full right alieron to compensate and follow the center line up to 800 then 25 squared and turn out to the North East get cleared thru the Grove's ( NAS Willowgrove) Delta and up toward the beautiful Delaware river in Cental NJ and PA climb to 3500 and set cruise to 20" and 24rpm. ( wanted to slow it down abit) then set up for the stalls heading 360* pull the mp back and trim up IAS below 129 and gear down and..... and ..... and Locked. 1, 2, and 3 notches of flaps props full forward and back back back back back back back (Dag any chance I'm acutally veritcal yet) back on the yoke. Did I mention it was really cold and so we practically hung on the prop. The CFIs crap, was rollin off the glare shield. the suction cups on his 396 antenas were fallin off the windscreen And all I saw out the front was BLUE Finally the horn goes off and were still not stalling sheesh back back back back bbuubbuubuubufffetttt ah finally. Recover power in increasing airpseed Flap Gear Flap Flap and Dang it I held altitude within what seemed like inches. Then the power on stall same thing. It just felt soooooo right. Then off to TTN for three T&Gs that were smooth as buttah again procedures to a T. Then over to Philly App to set up for the ILS 24 @ KPNE The outter marker was out so I Identified it by the 192 radial off ARD. One dot about GS and down comes the gear Flap flap flap and we're headed down the GS and along the localizer with the HSI set at 240 and the DG showing something like 275. Winds were something like 320@20G27 or at least thats what I think they said. Tower told us to break the approach off and circle to land on 33 when we were about 200' above DH. so off come the foggles and around we land so smooth it was buttah again but that really soft butter that comes in the tub not the hard stuff in the stick. Then a quick T&G and back to KLOM home base. KLOM is only about 10nm NW of KPNE with a 6/24 runway so I know the landing will be interesting. Winds are about the same at Wings and we set up again with perfect procedures and my approach on final is pretty much what it was like at KPNE. WOW what a crab angle. I take it down to the numbers and kick in the left rudder and right alieron and we are on center line gently gently down and WHOOSH theres the Gust AWOS reported and up up up. Then just at that time the gust decides heh heh lets screw with Zucker and dissappears DOWN DOWN power power and she comes down gently on the CENTER LINE Ahhhhh. Just after I announce Wings Traffic Lance Clear the Runway, Wings Paul turns to me and sticks out his right hand and says 'congratualtions you got your High Performance /Comolex endorsement'. Not only did it feel good getting the endorsement but He really complemented me on the job and my procedures. Don't ya just love that. I mean isn't that how it happens when ever you pass. The CFI or DPE or FDSO guy turns to you and sticks out his or her hand. I just love when they do that.

Then we backed it into the space and tied it down very quickly and put the cover on as fast as we could becuase it was REALLY COLD. Did I mention that? I said goodbye to the Lance becasue as of Saturday its sold and off to VA.

Anyone got a Lance I can borrow?:rolleyes:

AdamZ said:
Anyone got a Lance I can borrow?:rolleyes:

Congrats, and what are you going to fly now? (I forgot what your CFI wants next.)

good job adam. dont know anyone looking to loan a lance, but i know a guy who maybe will sell his. its in pretty good shape w/ lopresti speed mods and a nice ifr panel.

Bill Jennings said:
Congrats, and what are you going to fly now? (I forgot what your CFI wants next.)

Well Bill. I'm working on a deal to fly a Lance that is hangared at KLOM from a guy who doesnt fly it much. Beautiful plane HSI, 430, 530, CD player, Back up Vacum pump or electric AI forget which. Garmin 330 with Traffic. Strike finder. Guy says he'll rent it to me at a reasonable cost just have to work out some Insurance and other details. Also I hear the FBO is getting a 182RG. Never flew the highwings but we will see. Its a great FBO with new well maintained equipment, but they don't always get the planes they say they are going to get.

Great writeup Adam. I hope that Lance at LOM works out for you..A cd player too! w00t. Did you know you can listen to 3.5 more songs in the lance from point a to point b than in the mooney? :)

adam, 182RG is nice HP/Complex plane. My old FBO in Ames has one, i got about 125 hrs or so in it. Can take four people at 150 knots.

Michael said:
Great writeup Adam. I hope that Lance at LOM works out for you..A cd player too! w00t. Did you know you can listen to 3.5 more songs in the lance from point a to point b than in the mooney? :)

Thats great Michael ROLMFAO:rofl:

Back