Filter cutting question

Dav8or

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Dave
I have a great tool to cut the filter open, but what I'm wondering is, what do you guys use to cut the paper out? I have seen A&Ps use big knives. I have used a utility knife so far, but there has got to be something better. I was thinking of some sort of fine pitch saw. What do you guys use?

Thanks for the help!

The race car industry uses things that look like large tubing cutters (cutting wheel that you spin around the can to make a progressively deeper groove until you cut through).

A sharp filet knife works great. ;)

I would not use a saw blade. It might contaminate the paper with metal shavings. ;)

You can purchase a paper cutter at Aircraft Spruce and other retailers. Just get a good sharp knife, preferably of the razor sharp variety and go for it. Just don't cut yourself and by the way the oil is great for your skin.

You can purchase a paper cutter at Aircraft Spruce and other retailers. Just get a good sharp knife, preferably of the razor sharp variety and go for it. Just don't cut yourself and by the way the oil is great for your skin.

I hope you are kidding. :yes:

A razor box cutter,works fine,just be carefull.

I like a big sharp kitchen knife.

Grab the metal band that runs from top to bottom of the element and rip it out with pliers. Then just cut the element off the frame with the middle of the blade.

I like a big sharp kitchen knife.

Grab the metal band that runs from top to bottom of the element and rip it out with pliers. Then just cut the element off the frame with the middle of the blade.
Yep, that.

I like a serrated kitchen knife rather than a regular blade. A cheap steak knife or bread knife are commonly serrated.

I suppose there's a chance of contamination but haven't encountered that.

I have heard of some that use an electric knife with excellent results

Yep, that.

I like a serrated kitchen knife rather than a regular blade. A cheap steak knife or bread knife are commonly serrated.

I suppose there's a chance of contamination but haven't encountered that.

I have an IKEA bagel knife that was given to my boss,

I too simply use a box cutter. It works well. It's barely long enough to cut all the way through the paper folds.

When I had my 172 the filter folds were deeper and a utility knife didn't cut it. So, I used this with the blade ratcheted out just far enough to make it all the way through.

I can't imagine an individual owner needing anything more sophisticated...mechanics sure. I'm sure Sporty's sells something for $20 or $30 that'll do the job too. :rolleyes:

Never thought about the chemicals. But have never seen an A&P wear any oil proof gloves when going through a filter inspection.

I've been using utility/box cutter type knives so far and not impressed. To those that prefer the knife method, are straight blades, or serrated better? To the hacksaw folks, new blade, old worn out blade, or blade ground to be like a knife best?

Never thought about the chemicals. But have never seen an A&P wear any oil proof gloves when going through a filter inspection.
Bet you don't see them wearing eye protection or steel toes either. It's a personal choice to protect yourself from hazards in your environment.

I included steel toes but that's a huge stretch in my book. On the other hand my hangar does have safety glasses and disposable gloves.

I use an X-acto knife (hobby knife) to cut away the filter pleats from the metal web that runs from top to bottom and a hacksaw blade to cut thru the pleats from around the filter top and bottom.

After finishing the filter inspection I wash everything including my face and hands in 100LL to remove all traces of that nasty ol' oil...:hairraise::goofy::mad2:.

Chris

I've been using utility/box cutter type knives so far and not impressed. To those that prefer the knife method, are straight blades, or serrated better? To the hacksaw folks, new blade, old worn out blade, or blade ground to be like a knife best?

Teeth ground off the blade and sharpened to a knife-like edge.

Over the years I have developed an allergy to the oils and grease that causes deep fissures in my fingers if I don't protect them from grease and oil.

I buy rubber gloves and always protect my hands now.

Paul
A&P IA

Every time I've ever attempted to use rubber, latex, or "mechanic" gloves while working on an engine I always end up removing them. They don't breath and as a result they're intolerable for hours of wrenching. Also hard to manipulate tools, etc.

I am not thinking oil on my hands once every 4 months is going to be that problematic, hell I have probably inhaled enough asbestos in my early career to kill a horse. Time will tell.

I use my band saw.

zip done.

Back