Filter Check

PilotRPI

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
PilotRPI
So I am looking into purchasing a plane, and when I spoke with their mechanic, he mentioned that he does not cut the filters at oil changes to check for metal. Besides that fact that it is common practice to do so, is this a reason to run from the plane?

More info:

O-360 on a Cherokee
Its last overhaul was from a reputable shop
It has 800 hours on it.
Overhaul was around 2005
It has been used steadily since then (no long period of disuse)
Borescope of cylinders and comp check came back good

The thing it has going for it in my mind is the constant use, and that it is at the bottom of the "failure tub". The last oil change was only a few hours ago, so cutting the filter now may not tell me too much. Thoughts?

Last edited:
Get a sample of the oil,and send it out to be tested. Borescope the engine. And cross your fingers.

I imagine he is cutting the filter at annual time? What does it look like then?

With only a couple of hours on the current oil change, cutting the currently installed filter probably won't reveal much.

He is not cutting the filter at annual. Surprised the hell out of me. EVERY other mechanic I know does that.

I called the mechanic and asked if he checks the suction screen since he doesn't cut the filter. He said no about the suction screen, he checks the pressure filter. What the hell is that?

I would still dump the oil check both the suction screen and filter. I had one Mirage with 15 minutes and another with 3.5 hrs since fresh annuals. Big pieces in both suction screens and both were removed after that for repair. Obviously nobody looked. One of the shops said that the buyer didn't ask for them to check the screen. One seller and his buddy were mad because I was dumping the fresh oil. I told them that I have an obligation to look for stuff like this.

It's a good idea to pull the screen and examine the filter with the seller or agent in attendance. I recently did a Mirage where I found a rivet head. Only one place for it to come from and a Lycoming SB to back me up.

No, not the end of the world.

How's the compression, how's the oil burn, CHTs and EGTs good temps and even? If you're really concerned you can pull some oil from the dipstick hole and send it in for under 50 bucks.

IMO this is no reason to run from the plane at all.

Lowest compression is 72. Cylinder borescope from my prebuy came back good. Oil usage reported by seller is 1 qt in 10 hours. The plane does not have a 4 cylinder enginer monitor, so not sure on CHTs/EGTs.

I'm trying to determine if at least the old mechanic checked the suction screen. If not, I may have the prebuy guy check that and cut the filter. But again, he said he checks the oil pressure filter, and the prebuy guy and I have no idea what he is talking about. I asked the seller to get clarification from his mechanic on what it is he actually checks.

I imagine he is cutting the filter at annual time? What does it look like then?

With only a couple of hours on the current oil change, cutting the currently installed filter probably won't reveal much.
We cut open the filters out of common sense, but there is no absolute requirement to do it.

There is an AD out for 1 Lycoming engine that requires a filter inspection.

I'm trying to determine if at least the old mechanic checked the suction screen. If not, I may have the prebuy guy check that and cut the filter. But again, he said he checks the oil pressure filter, and the prebuy guy and I have no idea what he is talking about. I asked the seller to get clarification from his mechanic on what it is he actually checks.

If there was a anomaly during the oil change the old A&P would have seen it.

Every thing could appear normal, that doesn't say the engine will go another hour.

Back