Filming Flight Lessons With a Smartphone

Fellow_Pilot

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Fellow_Pilot
In order to save some money, I'm using my smartphone to film flight lessons. I got the cabling figured out. The question is where is the best place to mount the phone and how can I mount it at a decent price?

The best way to "save some money" on flight training is to not begin training until you have enough saved to train 3X a week through the complete program. Video, whether by smart phone or GoPro type devices could easily cost more than they might save. ( I'm sure you already own the phone)
Also, keep in mind that when reviewing video you are not yet in a position to analyze your performance, and that you might "correct" problems that do not exist, or, of even more concern, incorrectly correct problems that do..... Regarding video, follow the advice of your flight instructor. (S)he knows what is the best training path for you.

Filming your lessons is a great idea - I wish I'd done that during my training. Sometimes you are so focused staying ahead of the plane that you miss some excellent advice from your instructor, so it's valuable to be able to review under calmer conditions later.

Overhead between the two seats. One problem is lighting if you are trying to video from one place - the brightness out the window can make the panel too dark to really see anything - depends on the airplane (sky light, canopy vs. solid cabin top) and direction of the sun. The other issue is audio - just having an "open mic" gives you nothing but engine noise - pretty worthless. Either pick up the audio from the intercom or put something inside your headset. With smart phones and just one plug you can't just stick a set of ear buds directly into the microphone plug (they work like a mic) because of the combined mic/headset output.

This video was shot with a tripod bungeed (is that a word?) down behind the front (only) seats if you want a bad example (7 minutes, 6 seconds of your life that you will never get back).

Oh - I forgot - someone will be along shortly to tell you that having the camera running will cause you to crash and die.

Overhead between the two seats. One problem is lighting if you are trying to video from one place - the brightness out the window can make the panel too dark to really see anything - depends on the airplane (sky light, canopy vs. solid cabin top) and direction of the sun. The other issue is audio - just having an "open mic" gives you nothing but engine noise - pretty worthless. Either pick up the audio from the intercom or put something inside your headset. With smart phones and just one plug you can't just stick a set of ear buds directly into the microphone plug (they work like a mic) because of the combined mic/headset output.

This video was shot with a tripod bungeed (is that a word?) down behind the front (only) seats if you want a bad example (7 minutes, 6 seconds of your life that you will never get back).

Oh - I forgot - someone will be along shortly to tell you that having the camera running will cause you to crash and die.
I'm using Mr. Aviation 101's method of recording:
-1/4in Male to Dual 1/4in Female Splitter
-1/4in Male to 1/8in Male(3.5mm)

Since I'm using an iphone I'm also, using a trs to trrs adapter.

What budget mount would you guys recommend for filming a flight lesson on a smartphone?

Do you want to be a pilot or the next youtube subscriber counter?

Be sure you have an app that allows continuous recording, and that your device has sufficient memory. Also, the app that came with your phone may only do recording in ~10 minute blocks, or similar, so know the limitations of what you're using.

Be sure you have an app that allows continuous recording, and that your device has sufficient memory. Also, the app that came with your phone may only do recording in ~10 minute blocks, or similar, so know the limitations of what you're using.
I do. My iphone is a 256gb model so it should have enough space. Any video apps that you recommend(free apps are preferable)?

Lots of options.

My go-to GoPro location is mounted to the bill of my baseball cap. Not very steady, but it shows clearly where I’m looking at any given time. No reason you couldn’t stick an iPhone up there.

I used to just record the audio, and never using a phone. Having said that there is not a good mount for a cell phone camera. It will vibrate too much. You'd be better off figuring out a way to attach it to a hat or your headset.

The audio alone is great though, you can go back and listen to all of the times you got yelled at and focus on those areas.

I used to just record the audio, and never using a phone. Having said that there is not a good mount for a cell phone camera. It will vibrate too much. You'd be better off figuring out a way to attach it to a hat or your headset.

The audio alone is great though, you can go back and listen to all of the times you got yelled at and focus on those areas.
Yeah I guess it just would help sometimes if I knew what I was doing at the time cause audio alone may not be specific enough to know what I am learning/messing up on.

I know this is adding expense, but we bought my son an OSMO gimbal. It makes cell phone videos crazy smooth.

I am sure you know this, but filming is the easy part. Editing into an interesting video is the hard, time-consuming part. Can take hours to get it right.

I am sure you know this, but filming is the easy part. Editing into an interesting video is the hard, time-consuming part. Can take hours to get it right.
I don't really intend to make this a youtube video.

How will filming your flight lessons save money?

I bought a selfie stick for $5.00 that has the same 1/4 - 20 thread on the phone holder part as the common camera / tripod mounts.

Unless you are looking for National Geographic quality video, it works.

Ok, the pressed in nut fell out eventually, and I replaced it with a Tee nut and some epoxy, but it still works.

Looks a lot like this one: https://www.amazon.com/VersionTech-...&qid=1507228873&sr=8-25&keywords=selfie+stick

And, it's mounted on my tripod right now, this very minute.

I bought a selfie stick for $5.00 that has the same 1/4 - 20 thread on the phone holder part as the common camera / tripod mounts.

Unless you are looking for National Geographic quality video, it works.

Ok, the pressed in nut fell out eventually, and I replaced it with a Tee nut and some epoxy, but it still works.

Looks a lot like this one: https://www.amazon.com/VersionTech-...&qid=1507228873&sr=8-25&keywords=selfie+stick

And, it's mounted on my tripod right now, this very minute.
Are there like any tripods that could stick to the floor (not like adhesive strips but like so the tripod doesn't shift during flight?)

Do you want to be a pilot or the next youtube subscriber counter?

Probably just going for up to an instrument pilot license for recreational purposes.

2015-07-28-1438094156-437530-sarcastic-thumb.jpg

Add me to the tough love crowd that says focus on proper execution of the lessons, not documenting them.

Add me to the tough love crowd that says focus on proper execution of the lessons, not documenting them.
I don't have a dog in this fight. (so as to say that I am relatively unbiased here)
Recording equipment is a tool. It all depends on how we use it (the tool). In properly trained hands, it helps.
I've seen cases where review of video footage of each lesson helped improve the student's skills and was pretty beneficial.
So if one doesn't try to get to ATP by having YouTubers pay for one's complete training, one could make oneself into a better pilot if one can detect mistakes in one's flying from one's footage. :)

Flame suit on. :D

I don't have a dog in this fight. (so as to say that I am relatively unbiased here)
Recording equipment is a tool. It all depends on how we use it (the tool). In properly trained hands, it helps.
I've seen cases where review of video footage of each lesson helped improve the student's skills and was pretty beneficial.
So if one doesn't try to get to ATP by having YouTubers pay for one's complete training, one could make oneself into a better pilot if one can detect mistakes in one's flying from one's footage. :)

Flame suit on. :D
I agree with that. I mean I almost got everything ready just need to solve 2 things:
  • How to mount the phone(thinking of using a clamp and mounting it to the seat but I'm worried it'll leave a mark)
  • Figure if my phone will be able to record the whole thing without running out of battery(Storage really isn't an issue since I have a 256gb phone)

So what would be the best method to mount my iphone for filming?

Back