Filling out the form to go test (8710 I think)

4RNB

Line Up and Wait
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
4RNB
So I was sitting down with my CFI a week ago, trying to fill out online the form to go take my practical test. We were at an FBO on an older laptop. My CFI was under the impression that everything would be done online, said he would do a part, then I would do a part, then back to him to finish (or maybe vice versa). We filled out all my time, he was able to do his thing including a digital signature, but at no point was I able to digitally sign anything. It looked like I could have printed out a form to sign, perhaps mail it in or take to the DPE. My CFI acted like this was not how it was supposed to be.

What is the process for filling out this form?
Am I supposed to digitally fill it out?
Do I print it out and mail it in or carry to DPE?

When I read online it says I present the form to the DPE. https://www.faa.gov/pilots/become/practical/

Thank you!

For me when I did my IR checkride, I filled out my time on IACRA and my CFI signed the application. He then saved a copy as a PDF which I printed out and presented to the examiner.

After the CFI endorses it you don't need to do anything else until the test. The DPE will pull up your application and you will have to log in again and sign it after reviewing the privacy act and pilots bill of rights.

For me when I did my IR checkride, I filled out my time on IACRA and my CFI signed the application. He then saved a copy as a PDF which I printed out and presented to the examiner.

Printing it out isn't normally necessary but can serve as a backup in case of technical/it issues.

Printing it out isn't normally necessary but can serve as a backup in case of technical/it issues.

That’s why I brought it. There could be glitches in the system. Luckily we didn’t need the physical copy but always good to have it. And you’re correct, nothing else to do until the DPE has you sign it after reviewing the privacy act and bill of rights.

So how does one fully know that the online part is done and that the DPE will be able to pull it up?

So how does one fully know that the online part is done and that the DPE will be able to pull it up?

What is the status of the application? If it says "Signed by RI" it is as far as it can go until you meet with the examiner. That said, it would be beneficial to closely review the application to make sure it is filled out properly so you don't get bounced at the checkride for an incomplete or incorrect application. Same goes for the logbook endorsements.

Back