Filled in Form 8500-8 but only want Sport Pilot...

• Thread starter Sammy the pilot man
  • Start date
S

Sammy the pilot man

Hello Pilots of America

Slightly complex question for you all :)

I was doing some initial training for a PPL license and was potentially going to go down the Special Issuance route so I could remain on some medication I was taking. However I decided that I'd rather just do a Sport Pilot license as it allows me to fly once a month or so, and I never want to go up with anyone other than my wife or a single friend.

FYI, before anyone wonders, I am medically stable and have no question in my ability to fly BUT I don't want to have to change medications or treatment in order to get a PPL license...however I really want to learn to fly.

That said...

I know for Sport Pilot you don't need a medical (only a drivers' license) but can't apply if you have previously had a previous FAA medical denied. Whilst I did fill in form 8500-8 on medxpress online a long time ago just in case, I NEVER saw an AME doctor or went through an application for the actual medical. My form is probably on medxpress somewhere but I don't know as I never ended up applying for the medical.

Does this count as me applying for the purposes of becoming a Sport Pilot? Or can I still continue to take lessons for a Sport Pilot without an FAA medical, and just use my drivers' license?

Thanks in advance! :)

Looking forward to flying.

-Sammy

Whilst I did fill in form 8500-8 on medxpress online a long time ago just in case, I NEVER saw an AME doctor or went through an application for the actual medical.
Since an AME never downloaded your application, it isn't considered a live application. And until you hand the confirmation number that showed up at the bottom when you completed the application, the application will remain un downloaded and un live.

After about 60 days, the system will recycle the electrons and your application will cease to be downloadable.

as long as your form was not pulled by the AME, just let is sit there for 60 days (someone correct me if that's the wrong duration) and will expire.
sports pilot allows you to fly once a month?? where did u get that from?

sports pilot allows you to fly once a month?? where did u get that from?
I read that Sammy only desires to fly less than 3-6 hours a month, very infrequently. Not that it was a limitation of Sport Pilot.

a good way to check is login to medexpress, if your application is still active, you cant submit a new one

I read that Sammy only desires to fly less than 3-6 hours a month, very infrequently. Not that it was a limitation of Sport Pilot.
his desire will change when he sees a rainbow under him

a good way to check is login to medexpress, if your application is still active, you cant submit a new one
Not on the original email address.

But if an applicant realized they made an error or omitted something, they would need to start a new application using a different email address.

Thanks WannFly. Is that certainly the case? That's what I was wondering. I had emailed the reference number to an AME to ask a question at the time but wanted to know if he'd accessed it. If I log in it asked me to begin a new application. Assuming that means that the application I filled out no longer exists (it was over 6 months ago)...?

Everyone is correct in that an AME has to issue a denial and file it with the FAA before you become ineligible to fly as a Sport Pilot on a DL.

That is correct. I will only likely be able to 'afford' to fly a couple of times a month. I'm sure the rainbow under me will make me WANT to do more.

I just love the buzz of flying (took 6 hours of lessons already to check it's for me) so Sport Pilot was a good way for me to go without having to change my treatment, medication, go through hoops, etc.

Opinions on this also welcome :)

How do you plan to complete the flight training, flying only once per month?

Hi Ryan. I plan to complete training over the course of the next 4-5 months, and have money set aside for this. I want to make sure I can commit the time to become a competent, safe Sport Pilot in the initial period. For sure :)

Everyone is correct in that an AME has to issue a denial and file it with the FAA before you become ineligible to fly as a Sport Pilot on a DL.

Citizen5000 - thank you for this.

Citizen5000 / All - Am I eligible to fly as a Sport Pilot if I medical classify myself as fit to fly? Or do I still need some kind of check up?

Hi Ryan. I plan to complete training over the course of the next 4-5 months, and have money set aside for this. I want to make sure I can commit the time to become a competent, safe Sport Pilot in the initial period. For sure :)
I don't mean to be a buzzkill, but I will be frank in saying that it will be very difficult staying proficient in your flying skills, only flying once per month. Too much time elapses between flights at that rate.

Citizen5000 / All - Am I eligible to fly as a Sport Pilot if I medical classify myself as fit to fly? Or do I still need some kind of check up?

As a Sport Pilot you self assess your fitness and your DL is your medical doc. You never need to see a doctor or do any other medical work. You can only fly LSA or SLSA or eLSA and only day VFR and not above 10k feet MSL or 2k feet AGL in mountain terrain.

BasicMed is the reform 3rd class and is the one that requires a doctor involvement. You can fly larger certified aircraft and more than two seats.

Last edited:
Thanks WannFly. Is that certainly the case? That's what I was wondering. I had emailed the reference number to an AME to ask a question at the time but wanted to know if he'd accessed it. If I log in it asked me to begin a new application. Assuming that means that the application I filled out no longer exists (it was over 6 months ago)...?

It's definitely out of the system. But what u want to check is 1. U are using the same email address as u used before. 2. Ensure the ame didn't actually pull the file.

I will let someone else chime in, but unless u sign the paper in ame s office, nothing is final anyway. Rt folks?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

As long as u have drivers license and still breathing, fly away

Not on the original email address.

But if an applicant realized they made an error or omitted something, they would need to start a new application using a different email address.
Sometimes, I think that's why it's so easy to get gmail addresses.

As long as u have drivers license and still breathing, fly away

Thanks WannFly! I'm breathing well and can't wait to learn.

All you guys in this forum are just awesome :)

Thanks WannFly! I'm breathing well and can't wait to learn.

All you guys in this forum are just awesome :)

@Ryanb makes a very valid point. keep that in mind. if you only fly once or twice a month, it would take you much longer to learn and end up costing more. till last month I was flying 2-3 times a week. this month I have may be 2 hours total (scheduling issues with my CFI), at early stage a 2 week gap makes you feel everything new again. muscle memory dies quickly. from a proficiency standpoint, once a month for a new pilot could be an issue too. I am sure people do it, but something to think about. you should be able to make life changing decision at moments notice if something hits the fan while you are flying, that's the time to react from muscle memory, not the time to start thinking about what to do.

do read up on this forum, being a new to aviation, I have learnt a lot and still learning everyday. however, as applicable for anything you see on the internet..check with you CFI first.

Why not ask him? I don't think the system asking you to begin another application necessarily proves your first application timed out. Suppose you'd had the 3rd class physical and the AME had issued you, and you went back into the system, I suspect the same thing would happen. The system asking you to start another application may only mean that you have no un-downloaded application in the system, and may say nothing about whether it was taken "live", nor the outcome.

OTOH I would *think* you'd have gotten a letter from the FAA stating you'd been denied if that had been the case, but I'm not sure about that as it's never happened to me. I also suspect no one here can answer this question for certain, except possibly Dr. Bruce Chien, who sometimes chimes in, or Dr. Lou, another AME who sometimes contributes here.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back