Filing to waypoints

dustinwoodhouse

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Dustin
So last week I had to file IFR to get above the clouds, but the mission was to do a scenic pass around Mt Rainier, then fly (IFR again) to Tacoma Narrows (KTIW) for dinner. I discovered that I could file to a waypoint (didn't know that was possible!) near Mt Rainier, and file a second flight plan from a second waypoint into KTIW. I would pick up the second flight plan after we had done some scenic flying around Rainier.

In the comments of the first flight plan I put "Climb to VFR", and ATC seemed to interpret that correctly. They understood my intentions and the whole thing went perfectly! Did you all know this is possible? Am I just really uninformed???

Fix-radial-distance will be accepted by the center computer: SEA088029 is 29 miles out on the SEA 088 radial.

Bob Gardner

We used to do this in the Caribbean where we needed to be in a certain point to comply with 135.183. Clearance was always funny though. "Cleared into St Maarten airport via RTE2 STT, PJM 343 radial 34DME, direct".
And then telling every over-friendly center controller we're unable to accept direct :)

So last week I had to file IFR to get above the clouds, but the mission was to do a scenic pass around Mt Rainier, then fly (IFR again) to Tacoma Narrows (KTIW) for dinner. I discovered that I could file to a waypoint (didn't know that was possible!) near Mt Rainier, and file a second flight plan from a second waypoint into KTIW. I would pick up the second flight plan after we had done some scenic flying around Rainier.

In the comments of the first flight plan I put "Climb to VFR", and ATC seemed to interpret that correctly. They understood my intentions and the whole thing went perfectly! Did you all know this is possible? Am I just really uninformed???

That’s been going on for just about ever. Usually works without a hitch in a situation like yours. Everything took place within the borders of one Center. You may have even cancelled and then picked up your Clearance back in the same Sector, maybe even with the same Controller. Filing for an airborne pickup can get kind of weird sometimes when you are close to Center borders. Sometimes they don’t get your Flight Plan and it takes awhile to sort things out.

Back