Filing to the IAF

My observation is that standards vary in different regions. There are a lot of variables which isn't good for pilots. We have to know what is expected in each area. We have radar/non-radar areas; flat and mountainous terrain; congested and seldom used airspace. I'll give a couple examples.

Here in Dallas, I filed a /G flight plan direct to an airport in Wisconsin (KADS to C47). I used DUATS which generated a flight plan with VOR radials and distances along the route direct to the destination airport. Tower was completely confused and read back each VOR with radial and distance in the clearance: some 12 of them. What fun. From that point forward, after consulting with the chief of tower, the plan was KADS C47 direct. There was a DP and vectors after departure; then, direct to airport filed.

Departing Kissimmee recently, I called tower and stated I was number three to depart. I did this so tower could begin working on my IFR clearance as there was a conga line for departure with no place to turn off if one's clearance was delayed. I got blasted for calling number three; was told to call when I was number one ready to depart, that number three did tower no good and congested the frequency. I called shortly thereafter as number one (several VFRs behind me). Sat and sat awaiting IFR release. Tower finally called and said they didn't know what the problem was, should be ten minutes before they got a clearance. I offered to depart VFR and pick up my clearance in the air. Tower said if I did that, they'd have to cancel my flight plan. So, I waited, and all the VFR guys behind me waited. I've departed VFR under similar circumstances many times before and not had tower cancel my flight plan. So, this is inconsistent.

I file from Dallas to Kissimmee Florida via a DP, HEVVN intersection direct. There are several MOAs and a couple restricted areas on that route. I am cleared from here as filed. Somewhere near Crestview VOR, center re-clears me based on what military activity is in the area. Between Crestview and HEVVN I may get no changes or three or four based upon what's going on at Eglin and Tindall. No matter how I file, unless it's on a much longer airway route to the north, it will be changed several times; so, I lost any incentive to try to guess. Jac Center will pick me up at some point and give me the STAR, but I may get an airway first, or may just get direct a VOR on the STAR. Even when I've filed on the airway in the past, at some point, center will offer direct, I get into the military areas, the controllers change the clearance and I might as not have planned the route in advance.

BTW the even odd altitudes don't work in Florida along the east coast; they want northbound at one altitude and southbound at the other.

This entire thread was started because a pilot filed to an IAF in the So Cal region. The controller not only didn't clear him to the IAF on the only approach to that airport; he cleared him to the IF which the pilot didn't know how to go to on his Garmin box without overflying the IAF (we've explained how to do this to the pilot), but the controller has been very argumentative and stated there is no need to go to the IAF and to show him in the regs where it so states.

So, bottom line is standards are lacking and this really hurts a pilot going into an area where he is unfamiliar with regional and local practices.

Best,

Dave

but the controller has been very argumentative and stated there is no need to go to the IAF and to show him in the regs where it so states.
In terms of executing SIAP's (rather than talking lost comm issues), that question has been ruled on by the FAA Chief Counsel's office, which stated in a letter opinion that unless you are provided vectors to final, you must commence all SIAP's from a depicted IAF, and you may not join that approach at an IF other than via "vectors to final." Based on that legal interpretation, assigning or accepting a clearance "direct" to join an SIAP at any point on the approach other than an IAF (or a feeder/transition fix leading to an IAF) is a regulatory violation.

If a controller wants you to start an approach at an IF rather than an IAF, the controller must provide (or you must demand) "vectors to final," which according to FAA Order 7110.65 generally must set you up within 30 degrees of the course line at least two miles outside the fix, and "cleared direct" does not meet that standard. Given that this is an official legal position of the Chief Counsel's office, the controller cannot waive this requirement or authorize deviations from it.

In terms of executing SIAP's (rather than talking lost comm issues), that question has been ruled on by the FAA Chief Counsel's office, which stated in a letter opinion that unless you are provided vectors to final, you must commence all SIAP's from a depicted IAF, and you may not join that approach at an IF other than via "vectors to final." Based on that legal interpretation, assigning or accepting a clearance "direct" to join an SIAP at any point on the approach other than an IAF (or a feeder/transition fix leading to an IAF) is a regulatory violation.

If a controller wants you to start an approach at an IF rather than an IAF, the controller must provide (or you must demand) "vectors to final," which according to FAA Order 7110.65 generally must set you up within 30 degrees of the course line at least two miles outside the fix, and "cleared direct" does not meet that standard. Given that this is an official legal position of the Chief Counsel's office, the controller cannot waive this requirement or authorize deviations from it.

Thanks Ron. Can you give me a cite for that opinion or direct me somewhere?

Best,

Dave

Thanks Ron. Can you give me a cite for that opinion or direct me somewhere?
FAA counsel letter Nov 28, 1994 and FAA Order 7110.65 Sections 4-8-1. Only when there is no IAF may the controller send the aircraft directly to the IF at which the approach begins, and there are restrictions on the angle at which the aircraft arrives at the IF. There is one other exception for GPS and RNAV approaches by aircraft with an "Advanced RNAV equipment suffix," and that is when the aircraft is:
4. Established on a heading or course that will intercept the intermediate segment at the intermediate fix, when an initial approach fix is published, provided the following conditions are met:

(a) The instrument approach procedure is a GPS or RNAV approach.

(b) Radar monitoring is provided to the Intermediate Fix.

(c) The aircraft has filed an Advanced RNAV equipment suffix.

(d) The pilot is advised to expect clearance direct to the Intermediate Fix at least 5 miles from the fix.

(e) The aircraft is assigned an altitude to maintain until the Intermediate Fix.

(f) The aircraft is on a course that will intercept the intermediate segment at an angle not greater than 90 degrees and is at an altitude that will permit normal descent from the Intermediate Fix to the Final Approach Fix.
And, as always, if you can't fly the clearance safely (e.g., GPS programming issues), you have the right to decline it.

Ron:

John Collins posted this on the Beechlist:

Please read the current update for the AIM (Change 3 Aug 2007), section 5-4-7(i) that deals with RNAV approaches. Also check out the 2006 Revision to the ATC Handbook, sections 4-8-1, and 5-9-5. I have cut (from
the FAA website) and pasted them below for your convenience. The rules for RNAV approaches are different!

Section 5-4-7
i. ATC may clear aircraft that have filed an Advanced RNAV equipment suffix to the intermediate fix when clearing aircraft for an instrument approach procedure. ATC will take the following actions when clearing Advanced RNAV aircraft to the intermediate fix:

1. Provide radar monitoring to the intermediate fix.

2. Advise the pilot to expect clearance direct to the intermediate fix at least 5 miles from the fix.

NOTE-
This is to allow the pilot to program the RNAV equipment to allow the aircraft to fly to the intermediate fix when cleared by ATC.

3. Assign an altitude to maintain until the intermediate fix.

4. Insure the aircraft is on a course that will intercept the intermediate segment at an angle not greater than 90 degrees and is at an altitude that will permit normal descent from the intermediate fix to the final approach fix.

4-8-1. AP

APPROACH CLEARANCE

a. Clear aircraft for "standard" or "special" instrument approach procedures only. To require an aircraft to execute a particular instrument approach procedure, specify in the approach clearance the name of the approach as published on the approach chart. Where more than one procedure is published on a single chart and a specific procedure is to be flown, amend the approach clearance to specify execution of the specific approach to be flown. If only one instrument approach of a particular type is published, the approach needs not be identified by the runway reference. An aircraft conducting an ILS/MLS approach when the glideslope/glidepath is reported out of service shall be advised at the time an approach clearance is issued.
Standard Instrument Approach Procedures shall commence at an Initial Approach Fix or an Intermediate Approach Fix if there is not an Initial Approach Fix. Area Navigation (RNAV) Standard Instrument Approach Procedures may begin at an Intermediate Approach Fix for aircraft that have filed an Advanced RNAV equipment suffix when the conditions of subpara b4 are met.
Where adequate radar coverage exists, radar facilities may vector aircraft to the final approach course in accordance with para 5-9-1, Vectors to Final Approach Course.
B-4

4. Established on a heading or course that will intercept the intermediate segment at the intermediate fix, when an initial approach fix is published, provided the following conditions are met:

(a) The instrument approach procedure is a GPS or RNAV approach.

(b) Radar monitoring is provided to the Intermediate Fix.

(c) The aircraft has filed an Advanced RNAV equipment suffix.

(d) The pilot is advised to expect clearance direct to the Intermediate Fix at least 5 miles from the fix.

(e) The aircraft is assigned an altitude to maintain until the Intermediate Fix.

(f) The aircraft is on a course that will intercept the intermediate segment at an angle not greater than 90 degrees and is at an altitude that will permit normal descent from the Intermediate Fix to the Final Approach Fix.

Arrival Instructions

EXAMPLE-
The aircraft is being vectored to the intermediate fix FORRE for an RNAV approach. "Seven miles from FOORE, cleared direct FORRE, cross FORRE at or above four thousand, cleared RNAV runway one eight approach."

NOTE-
1. The altitude assigned must assure IFR obstruction clearance from the point at which the approach clearance is issued until established on a segment of a published route or instrument approach procedure.

2. If the altitude assignment is VFR-on-top, it is conceivable that the pilot may elect to remain high until arrival over the final approach fix which may require the pilot to circle to descend so as to cross the final approach fix at an altitude that would permit landing.

3. Aircraft being vectored to the intermediate fix in FIG 5-9-5 must meet all the provisions described in subpara 4-8-1b4.

Regards,

John D. Collins
4317 Old Saybrook Ct
Charlotte, NC 28211
(704) 364-3696 Tel/Fax
(704) 576-3561 Cell
johncollins@carolina.rr.com

=====================================================

Interesting stuff, Huh?

Best,

Dave

2. Advise the pilot to expect clearance direct to the intermediate fix at least 5 miles from the fix.

NOTE-
This is to allow the pilot to program the RNAV equipment to allow the aircraft to fly to the intermediate fix when cleared by ATC.
Five miles ain't very much time to reprogram to the IF unless you're flying something pretty slow, or you really know what you're doing and don't have anything else going on (like slowing/descending, configuration change, etc). As an instrument instructor, I've watched a lot of folks struggle to catch up in situations like that, and catch-up ball is not the game you want to be playing in the terminal environment. As I said above, you can always say, "unable," and the controller will have to work out a Plan B which you can handle (although you might not like Plan B much, either).

Best bet in all of this if you have "Advanced RNAV equipment" is to learn your equipment thoroughly (which for a GNS 430 takes a lot more than tinkering with the free simulator -- I highly recommend EFS's training CD -- best $150 you'll spend after buying a 430 and, believe it or not, $50 cheaper at Sporty's than from EFS directly) so you can handle the leapfrog to the IF (or any other unusual programming problems) on your GPS.

Five miles ain't very much time to reprogram to the IF unless you're flying something pretty slow, or you really know what you're doing and don't have anything else going on (like slowing/descending, configuration change, etc).
The trick it have everything already program and then just be able to select the direct to the right fix to start the approach.

I will many times be direct to the airport, then have programed the approach I was told to expect or the one I requested so that when I am cleared to the IAF or antoher fix with the approach I can just hit direct to the fix.

As an instrument instructor, I've watched a lot of folks struggle to catch up in situations like that, and catch-up ball is not the game you want to be playing in the terminal environment.
I'll bet you have. I'll also bet that you teach good cockpit management skills and lecture on how to stay ahead and what to anticipate.

The trick it have everything already program and then just be able to select the direct to the right fix to start the approach.
I agree, but sometimes the controller throws you a curve at the last minute, and that's where folks can get tangled up. The Garmin 430 makes it pretty easy to get pointed at any of the IAF's or transition fixes for a SIAP, but you need to go a few more steps to enter a SIAP at an IF, and if you don't get that word until you're five miles from the IF, you could find yourself running to catch up. Try it with a Northstar, or a GX-5x/6x, or a KLN-89/90, and I might be past the IF before I got the box programmed.

I agree, but sometimes the controller throws you a curve at the last minute, and that's where folks can get tangled up. The Garmin 430 makes it pretty easy to get pointed at any of the IAF's or transition fixes for a SIAP, but you need to go a few more steps to enter a SIAP at an IF, and if you don't get that word until you're five miles from the IF, you could find yourself running to catch up. Try it with a Northstar, or a GX-5x/6x, or a KLN-89/90, and I might be past the IF before I got the box programmed.

I fly the KLN90B, I am pretty darn good and quick changing the FPL0 approach when a curve ball gets thrown at me. But that came with a lot of practice. I do agree that it can cause big problems though.

If you are going to fly /G you the pilot better know how to change the flight plans/approaches ASAP and without too much distraction.

unless you filed direct in the route of flight block

I've done that plenty of times too, still get "cleared to xxx airport as filed..." In fact, out of MSN the only time I haven't heard "as filed" was when the filed route included V177 which violates the no-coming-within-50-miles-of-Chicago-in-a-FLIB rule. :rolleyes: That time it was "Dakota 8183X, cleared to Muncie airport as fil... Uh, that's not gonna work. Taxi to 21 via Juliet and Bravo, stand by for clearance."

FWIW, most of the time if I expect to fly an approach I'll file to the IAF, but if I'm just punching up and down through a layer (and it's high enough that I expect the visual) I won't bother.

So, bottom line is standards are lacking and this really hurts a pilot going into an area where he is unfamiliar with regional and local practices.
Totally agree, but that's what makes every day an adventure....

Back