Filing IFR with no IR rating

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks everyone. I have my PPL checkride scheduled for this week. After that I intend to fly a lot across the country and wanted to know how best to deal with my occasional inadvertent flight into clouds that could happen at any time. I should just stick to VFR for the time being.

Thanks everyone. I have my PPL checkride scheduled for this week. After that I intend to fly a lot across the country and wanted to know how best to deal with my occasional inadvertent flight into clouds that could happen at any time. I should just stick to VFR for the time being.

You call ATC and declare an emergency.

Better yet, learn about weather and how to stay out of IMC.

The way to handle an inadvertent VFR flight into instrument conditions is to call ATC for help immediately. If you're getting flight following, talk to that controller. If you're not already in contact with ATC, dial up 121.5 and announce your location, altitude and problem -- you'll have plenty of help very fast.

What you don't do is try to weasel your way out of it by acting like you're IFR-qualified when you're not -- confess your situation and tell them truthfully what your and your plane's capabilities and limitations are. The FAA is not going to go after your ticket if you just plain made a mistake but admitted that up front and were straight with those trying to help you -- that's where remedial training or counseling come in (probably good things if you got yourself into that situation inadvertently so you can avoid doing it again). OTOH, if this become an "occasional" event rather than a one-time goof, they are going to find other, more painful ways to get your attention.

That said, this is one of those things where an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. You really shouldn't be having "occasional" entries into instrument conditions -- this should be a very rare or even nonexistent situation for a competent VFR pilot. How do you avoid that problem? Get all the weather knowledge you can so you make good go/no-go decisions. Start with the FAA's Aviation Weather (you can download it to your iPad iBooks here) and Aviation Weather Services. Visit Scott Dennstaed's aviation weather training web site and consider getting some of his CD's or signing up for his courses. Read Robert Buck's book Weather Flying. Study the weather reports, forecasts, and charts regularly, even on days even when you don't intend to fly, so you start to get a feel for reading and interpreting weather information.

This will also help you immensely when you start your instrument training later on. As an active instrument instructor, I can tell you that weather is usually the weakest area I see on pilots starting instrument training. At the same time, I know from sitting in on a lot of IR practical test orals that it is heavily emphasized on the test. And after over 40 years of instrument flying, I can also say it's awfully important to staying alive once you do start flying IFR.

Last edited:
...occasional inadvertent flight into clouds that could happen at any time.
That's like saying how do you cope with the occasional inadvertent driving 20mph over the speed limit which could happen at any time

You guys should be encouraging him to fly into a cloud. Ideally a nice CB.

There are so few Darwinian selection mechanisms left. It would be a shame to not take advantage of one here.

You guys should be encouraging him to fly into a cloud. Ideally a nice CB.

There are so few Darwinian selection mechanisms left. It would be a shame to not take advantage of one here.
sorry, I have to think of my insurance rates first.

Get an IR.

Seriously. Fly short to medium xc's. 7 or 8 of those and start instrument training imo. Best thing I did so far and a ton of fun. No way you are flying in the system without proper training though, and no way you will jeopardize that training and hard work by flying illegally.

That's because if you make a smoking hole while flying on his sign-off, his certificate is on the line. You should expect some very precisely written restrictions on your CFI's endorsements in your case.

The last time I had a student who gave me the impression he was going to go do stupid things like that, the restriction was "I'm not teaching you anymore."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back