Filing IFR in VMC

Now that I have my instrument rating, my CFII told me to file everything as IFR, even if it is VMC, so that I get experience working in the system. I have no argument with that, and quite enjoy flying under IFR. But I wonder if I am creating an unnecessary burden for ATC. On the one hand, I can imagine then wondering why the hell I'm filing IFR in VMC, but then I wonder if I make it easier for them because they know where I plan to go, and I am required to fly my clearance.

Dont worry, the controllers are salaried. They are there whether you file or not, in fact facilities like to have 'movements' as it helps them when they have to justify staffing.

On a VFR day, the workload on the IFR system is a bit lower, nobody minds handing another little plane at a lowish altitude from sector to sector. You are not getting into the way of the airline or turboprop traffic and if you do, they know who you are and can just move you or the other guy out of the way.

The reason not to file and fly VFR is if you want to kick back and relax without worrying about maintaining an altitude or not missing a radio call.

Last edited:
Dont worry, the controllers are salaried. They are there whether you file or not, in fact facilities like to have 'movements' as it helps them when they have to justify staffing.

On a VFR day, the workload on the IFR system is a bit lower, nobody minds handing another little plane at a lowish altitude from sector to sector. You are not getting into the way of the airline or turboprop traffic and if you do, they know who you are and can just move you or the other guy out of the way.

The reason not to file and fly VFR is if you want to kick back and relax without worrying about maintaining an altitude or not missing a radio call.

I agree.

The only time I've ever been less than happy with a FLiB (slow GA aircraft) filing IFR is working the airshow up in OSH.

When I'm flying long distances, I usually go IFR. To me it's easier with less thinking or chance of getting in trouble (ie poorly forecast wx, airspace, having my flight following terminated by lazy controllers not handing me off, etc). If I near a busy terminal area and it's nice out I usually cancel to avoid time consuming vectors away from the big boys if needed.

Back